Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

• 2 months later...

Bumped, as I wanted to input on a tangent in the Transfer Speculation thread about Ron Vlaar without going drastically off topic.

It's just I can't understand some of the criticism Vlaar gets on here.

It was not coincidence our horrific run occurred when he was injured. His leadership was integral during the run in (remember he went to straight to Baker after the own goal at Reading, and made sure Baker's head did not go), he scored two screamers but more importantly I think he's also a good defender. Okay, he's not as good as McGrath (who is?) and he made a couple of mistakes stepping up from an inferior league - but judging by his comments in the media about 'expecting more from himself' I believe he will address this. 

Laursen's initial season at Villa wasn't memorable and I think with a solid partner next to Vlaar (hopefully that's Okore!) we will see a centre back that can rightfully be compared to both Laursen and Mellberg.

I think Vlaar will be far better alongside the pace demon of Okore, Bless Concrete isn't the fastest in the world and Okore should compliment him at CB..... The defense on paper looks very solid, it's just hoping Okore and Luna fit with Lowton and Vlaar...

Big season for Vlaar. The guy is not young but it was his first Premier League season. Hopefully without injury, with more consistent defensive partners and better protection from a stronger midfield, he'll prove himself to be more than capable. I'd swap a few great goals for a dozen clean sheets though.

• Like 1

Bumped, as I wanted to input on a tangent in the Transfer Speculation thread about Ron Vlaar without going drastically off topic.

It was not coincidence our horrific run occurred when he was injured. His leadership was integral during the run in (remember he went to straight to Baker after the own goal at Reading, and made sure Baker's head did not go), he scored two screamers but more importantly I think he's also a good defender. Okay, he's not as good as McGrath (who is?) and he made a couple of mistakes stepping up from an inferior league - but judging by his comments in the media about 'expecting more from himself' I believe he will address this. 

Laursen's initial season at Villa wasn't memorable and I think with a solid partner next to Vlaar (hopefully that's Okore!) we will see a centre back that can rightfully be compared to both Laursen and Mellberg.

Agreed.

He's not amazing, but some people seem to be of the opinion that he's awful and he's far from it.

Definitely an asset and I expect him to play every game he's fit for this season.

• Like 2

I think Vlaar will be far better alongside the pace demon of Okore, Bless Concrete isn't the fastest in the world and Okore should compliment him at CB..... The defense on paper looks very solid, it's just hoping Okore and Luna fit with Lowton and Vlaar...

For me it's difficult to say that "defense on paper looks very solid" when half of them are new guys and Okore hasn't really even played yet in our shirt. Let's hope they fit.

I don't think anyone has presented a lot of well-considered criticism of Vlaar. The idea that he might not be a good defender comes from his partnerships with Clark and Baker (on Baker's off days), and from people criticising Lambert and his signings during the lean spell last season. Nobody seems to have noticed that our results improved when he came back from injury - partly coincidence maybe, but not completely. I actually did think he was amazing in one or two games, particularly the second one of the season, I forget who against.

when vlaar came back from his injury we instantly looked alot better at the back.

A good player can look sheit if the people around him let him down, like someone mentioned earlier, when he was teamed up with clark you could see him looking over his shoulders to see what clark was doing rather than focusing on his own game. Its a bit like the opposite to our front 3, where benteke is such a beast that he constantly gets more attention which in its turn gives gabby and weimann space and freedom to play with. As vlaar is our best defender the attack seems to be focusing on bennet, clark/baker, lowton and then through vlaar

Im not saying that he is faultless, hes not. but hes imo better than average and im pretty pleased we got him in!

I think both Clark and Vlaar are under real pressure to perform this season, they were by far our most experience CB's last season and performed averagely at best.  Admittedly for most of the season they got **** all protection from the midfield.

He was still at fault for a number of goals scored by the player he was marking at set pieces.

That should be bread and butter for a dominant centre half and you can't blame it on the younger players either.

Hopefully in his second season he will have come to grips with the league a bit better.

He was awful last season.  I hope he's better this coming season.  He's got a long way to go before he's even as good as somebody like Zat Knight, so mentioning in him the same sentence as Laursen is laughable.

I don't think anyone has presented a lot of well-considered criticism of Vlaar. 

He was awful last season.  I hope he's better this coming season.  He's got a long way to go before he's even as good as somebody like Zat Knight, so mentioning in him the same sentence as Laursen is laughable.

Point proved?

• Like 1

Yeah our centre backs are kinda worrying. Okore, which is a huge talent and got tremendous pace, he is still prone to errors as he is young and this will be his first season at this level consistently. Clark is not gonna get rid, imo for me the most annoying one as he does so many things well sometimes but then the next minute he does the opposite. Baker was too inconsistent and has his fair share of mistakes too, but I think he will be a lot better this season. Would not surprise me however if some were to happen.

And then vlaar, which really had some good games but did some glaring things, like how he ducked for that ball. That is the worst part of it, we really don`t have anyone back there that we can rely on 100%, we just hope someone will step up to the plate. 

Â