Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

Zat Knight is also 33 now. 

Vlaar playing for Holland is irrelevant to me.  Emile Heskey was a regular for England, but was the crappest so-called striker I've seen for a long time at Villa.

I hope last season can just be put down to first season syndrome, and that he comes good this year, but there's no point pretending he wasn't rubbish.  He was.

You're right. He was rubbish and the rest of us are all pretending.

Sorry, I forgot that message boards were all to do with facts and not opinions.  I don't care if I'm "right" or "wrong", I just don't think Vlaar was much cop.  The fact that our defence was utter gash for the entire season sort of points to the fact that none of them were very good.

Vlaar playing for Holland is irrelevant to me.  Emile Heskey was a regular for England, but was the crappest so-called striker I've seen for a long time at Villa.

I hope last season can just be put down to first season syndrome, and that he comes good this year, but there's no point pretending he wasn't rubbish.  He was.

Hard not to improve from our Christmas form, but we still didn't keep a clean sheet with him in the team in 2013.  And to be fair, he even acknowledges the requirement to improve himself: "I want to be better in personal battles, I want to win more headers, I want to make less mistakes."

Hard not to improve from our Christmas form, but we still didn't keep a clean sheet with him in the team in 2013.  And to be fair, he even acknowledges the requirement to improve himself: "I want to be better in personal battles, I want to win more headers, I want to make less mistakes."

Wow, player in wanting to improve shocker.

I like Ron Vlaar and think he's decent and can get better. You've got to be rational about his situation though considering he was new to the PL, got a nasty injury and that he had to marshal the rookies around him.

Let's hope the experience of last year will result in improvement this season.

Vlaar has a lot to prove this season, starting with the ability to stay fit.

Last season he was a disapointment to me and especially his aerial ability was shocking.

Hopefully this was down to injuries and adjusting to the PL, otherwise young Okore will have to carry this team in defence

I agree, that he plays for Holland is irrelevant to me and in my opinion to any discussion about him as a player for Aston Villa.

I don't though think he was rubbish last season. We've been blessed with CB's down the years at Villa pretty much for the last 20 years, we've had some truly excellent players. In fact I'd argue that we've had as good a CB's during that period as anyone in the league and far better than we've had a in any other position.

In that context Vlaar does fall short, he isn't up there with Lauren, Mellberg, Southgate, McGrath or many of the other names you could pick from the list. He isn't as good as those sort of players, not even close if we are honest.

He isn't though terrible, he is a decent but not spectacular CB which when you spend £3m is always likely to be what you will get.

I would though point to our form prior to his injury and once he returned in comparison to our form when he was missing. Now it isn't all down to him, there were many other factors not least the return of Gabby at the end of the season but it does appear that Vlaar had a positive impact upon our results.

Could we get a better CB? Well there are certainly better ones around but with the budget afforded to Lambert by Lerner I'm not so sure we could sign one.

I agree that his international recognition is irrelevant. It does not further this debate and I should not have brought it up.

You've enhanced the point I was initially trying to make, so thanks. I was being overly defensive of him when I compared him to Mellberg and Laursen but if he stays fit and improves on his performances last season, he'll be a great asset.

8692878305_067f973060_o.gif

Couple more of them this season please!

How did Mignolet miss that? Terrible goalkeeping. Great strike. I wish the gif included all the attempted shots leading up to this -- Westwood had a shot, Delph had a shot, I think Gabby had a shot, all blocked. Then Big Ron storming up all "I'LL HANDLE THIS GET OUTTA MY WAY -- BOOM."

8692878305_067f973060_o.gif

Couple more of them this season please!

How did Mignolet miss that? Terrible goalkeeping. Great strike. I wish the gif included all the attempted shots leading up to this -- Westwood had a shot, Delph had a shot, I think Gabby had a shot, all blocked. Then Big Ron storming up all "I'LL HANDLE THIS GET OUTTA MY WAY -- BOOM."

Ah he saw it late I think. Came past 3 players and any one of them couldve gotten a touch on it too

How many games that he played in did we manage to keep a clean sheet in?  Not all his fault of course, but he hardly led by example.  He was rubbish at marking, positionally poor and crap in the air, and he's not very quick either. 

Yeah I never rated Zat either.....

I think Ron gets cut a lot of slack because he comes across as a great bloke and we all want him to succeed

Nut on the pitch he has a LOT to prove as far as i'm concerned

Not so much concrete as plywood thus far

Â