Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

Herd has done very well - but he isnt a CB. Vlaar (our captain) walks striaght into the team for me.

This 3 at the back will suit him as out of all of them he is the most comfortable on the ball.

Why would it matter if he's not a CB if he's done very well?

Herd has looked like a natural where ever he has played for us. He was exceptional at RB for the one or two games he played there before Hutton arrived. He did well with Petrov in midfield and I think he's done as well as Clark and maybe even Baker in the last few games. He doesn't look out of place. He's not a player that you can pigeon hole into a position.

yeah I dont think Lambert is like previous managers and have automatic choices. the back 3 are in good form and be surprised if was changed.

refreshing to have options at the back instead of being stuck with Collins and Dunne everyweek

I don't understand why people keep talking about Vlaar breaking up the Clark + Baker partnership, if we continue playing in the formation we have done the last two games (which I guess we will since we've done very well with it), then hopefully we'll see Vlaar back alongside both Clark and Baker - which should be a cracking defensive line!

I see no reason why we should break up the current defensive trio. Vlaar will have to bide his time, which I'm sure he'll understand being the professional he is.

I agree. The current trio have played together for years and have looked very solid and mobile. Although I have been very impressed with Vlaar he should be made aware that he is not an automatic choice. I think this is Lambert's great strength. He does not have favourites like MON and BFR. You only have to look at Bent and Given to realise that CR will have a fight on his hands to get back into the side.

just because clark and baker are playing well, doesnt mean one of them cant be dropped, theyre still only kids, vlaar is club captain so should automatically return when fit

Why? Just because he is Team captain when on pitch (Petrov is still club captain).. No one should be automatically into the team!

• Like 1

I hope that Herd keeps his place (and Clark and Baker for that matter). .... Apart from perhaps Herd getting caught out on Saturday - they've done nothing to get dropped, and that result will have spurred them on even more.

I missed the first half on stream and only saw highlights, but he lost the ball twice badly in dangerous positions which really should've resulted in two goals but for Liverpool absolutely squandering. I don't know how that is a confident vote for Herd to remain in the back 3. I prefer him as a DM especially to come in and close out a tight game where we are a goal ahead.

Whilst we've conceded less goals since changing I think we have still looked suspect, vs Norwich their passes in behind our defence were doing us every single time, they could easily have scored a few of those. And lets be honest Liverpool cut them open a few times as well.

With Hazard, Mata and Oscar Chelsea have the potential to open us up just as much as Norwich and Liverpool did but they also have the quality to also hit the back of the net that those teams didn't.

Hazard will be a big threat, he likes to dribble past players and (correct me if im wrong) Vlaar has yet to be dribbled past in the league this season, if im wrong and he has been he was certainly one of the last defenders in the league to be dribbled past. Vlaar will be crucial vs Chelsea if he is fit to play and overall he's a better defender than Herd.

-------Vlaar-Clark-Baker

Lowton----------------Who-evers Fit

Very true, am sure he'll fit in well, probably at the expense of Herd not that I believe Herd has done anything wrong.

Will be interesting to see what Lambert does choose and what effect it has. From my observation it's not really a typical 3 centre half, back line. With Herd not in a conventional CB role. Replacing Herd with Vlaar may not be as straight forward, would they get one of the three to take on Herd's role or become a bit more of a conventional back 3, or even Clark/Baker to make way?

Having said this, i've not been to the last few games & only seen on laptop/tv so don't have a good perspective of positioning and play, so I may infact be talking rubbish.

Its refreshing having a few options for a change

Â