Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

But not a very good player, would cost a shitload because he's English and playing at Spurs, would command huge wages because of the same reasons.

And isn't much of an improvement on Dunne if you ask me.

I'd much prefer Lambert to raid another foreing club for another Ron Vlaar to be honest.

Now you're talking. :)

But not a very good player, would cost a shitload because he's English and playing at Spurs, would command huge wages because of the same reasons.

And isn't much of an improvement on Dunne if you ask me.

didnt he turn down QPR in summer over wages? think they agreed 8 million for him as well. madness

Something like that.

Although the whole situation was strange as wasn't he given the captaincy and then effectively sold to QPR days later?

I suspect we didn't hear the whole story regarding that incident.

Ron Vlaar knows Robin van Persie well. He plays alongside him for Holland, has the utmost respect for his ability and remembers listening to the Manchester United striker telling him at Euro 2012 why the Premier League was the place to be. There is not, however, the slightest chance that the Aston Villa captain will take a leaf out of André Santos's book by doing everything he can to get the shirt off his friend's back during United's visit on Saturday.

"Never, never," Vlaar says, when asked whether he would ever consider swapping shirts at half-time (video), in the same way Santos did with Van Persie last Saturday, when the Arsenal defender behaved more like an autograph hunter than an opponent hell-bent on winning. "I don't think of that before I go into a game. It's not about changing your shirt with another player. I want the points, that's the most important thing."

The 27-year-old hardly comes across as a serial shirt collector. This is a man who has Mike Tyson's face emblazoned across the front of his hoodie and is nicknamed "Concrete Ron". That moniker was bestowed on Vlaar at Feyenoord, where he spent seven years before joining Villa in the summer. He loved his time at the Dutch club but there were also some tough periods, in particular the back-to-back seasons lost to injury after he damaged the same cruciate ligament in his knee on two separate occasions.

"The first time it happened was on 16 September 2007 and that season was gone," Vlaar says. "And the second time was 17 September 2008, so one year and one day later. Again the same knee and again the season was gone. But I'm a fighter, so I always think of the positive side."

Did he ever fear his career could be over? "I was worried," Vlaar says. "Not the first time because it happens often with players and you see they come back. But the second time I was only thinking: 'OK, become fit and then you'll see.' The recovery was very good and at the start of the [following season] I came back to the club. And after two years of injury, I played 32 of the 34 games, so that was really amazing."

These days Vlaar is very much into the psychological side of football. At Feyenoord he worked with a personal trainer who opened his eyes to "mind setting", which involves visualising how games will pan out beforehand. "I really believe in mind-setting because you can already play the games a little bit in your mind before you play, recognising situations that you have to deal with, and that worked great for me last season."

A graduate of the youth system at AZ Alkmaar, Vlaar started playing as a centre-half in his early teenage years and grew up idolising the Dutchman who was at the heart of the Manchester United defence at the time. "Jaap Stam was really amazing. He was an example," he says. "He was strong. And the way he stands on the field, his stature, I think he frightens [opponents]. He was a real winner. Everything for the win, a leader."

Paul Lambert, the Villa manager, quickly identified Vlaar as someone who can inspire others. Vlaar has worn the captain's armband since Swansea's visit in September, a game that was watched by his parents, who try to get over from Holland to see all the home matches, and also his grandmothers, who are aged 86 and 90. "I loved that," Vlaar says. "To come to England was very big for them."

The trip was good timing because Swansea is one of only two league games Villa have won this season.

Although last Saturday's 1-0 victory at Sunderland was encouraging, Villa remain 17th and face United, Manchester City and Arsenal in their next three matches. Not that Vlaar is downbeat. "I know, especially from last year, what we did with Feyenoord... I believe that we can do that again [at Villa]. I'm not saying that we can come second. But we can build and make a team that can believe."

Like most Dutch footballers, Vlaar's English is excellent. He has quickly settled into life here and last month took in one of his favourite sports, when he watched Ronnie O'Sullivan and Jimmy White play in Bedworth as part of the Snooker Legends Tour. There was also a pleasant surprise when Jan Verhaas, the Dutch referee, arranged for Vlaar to partner O'Sullivan in a doubles match against White during the interval. "I don't think that many people can say they've done that," Vlaar says. "I potted red, pink, red, blue, so I was pretty happy with that."

Vlaar admits that he was more nervous with a cue in his hand than he will be when he lines up against Van Persie, who will be on the same team as him a few days later when Holland take on Germany in a friendly in Amsterdam. Villa have a dreadful home record against United, and Van Persie, is bang in form. But Vlaar gives the impression that reputations mean about as much to him as opposition shirts. "We all know who we're playing against," he says. "But I'm not afraid of anyone."

http://tinyurl.com/bkzlr39

ive said it before, im not too keen on clark staying as a permenant partner for vlaar, i think we should look for a new CB (and LB) to partner ron, somebody in the same mould and work ethic as him, like heitinga (fellow dutchman) or huth, big fan of is, always have been, hed be great for us, or dare i say it, scott dann

Both good signings - happy they are with us now.

I'm glad you're happy with them. I watched a lot of Villa games and I believe there is a lot more to come from both of them.

I'm not sure what Vlaar his tasks are but he seems to do a lot less with the ball than when he was with us. He used to come into midfield a lot more to start the build up play and it seems like he is only allowed to give the ball away to a team-mate as soon as he gets it. Defensively he looks quite solid and similar to when he was with us. Luckily we had his departure covered as our current back 4 are all part of the Dutch national team.

El Ahmadi looks a completely different player in not a very good way. We miss him the most in our team compared to last year and that includes goal machine John Guidetti. He looked a lot more energetic with us and had more freedom to hunt down opponents and get the ball back. We are missing a player like him very badly. I think the 4-4-2 that Villa play doesn't suit him really. He needs to have more players in front of him so that he can get the ball to them and win the ball back for them.

I hope their and Villa's performances will improve because it would be a shame to see these guys in The Championship next year.

I'm glad you're happy with them. I watched a lot of Villa games and I believe there is a lot more to come from both of them.

I'm not sure what Vlaar his tasks are but he seems to do a lot less with the ball than when he was with us. He used to come into midfield a lot more to start the build up play and it seems like he is only allowed to give the ball away to a team-mate as soon as he gets it. Defensively he looks quite solid and similar to when he was with us. Luckily we had his departure covered as our current back 4 are all part of the Dutch national team.

El Ahmadi looks a completely different player in not a very good way. We miss him the most in our team compared to last year and that includes goal machine John Guidetti. He looked a lot more energetic with us and had more freedom to hunt down opponents and get the ball back. We are missing a player like him very badly. I think the 4-4-2 that Villa play doesn't suit him really. He needs to have more players in front of him so that he can get the ball to them and win the ball back for them.

I hope their and Villa's performances will improve because it would be a shame to see these guys in The Championship next year.

It's pretty rare in PL that central defenders rise from the defending line to take part in build up play unless midfielders or strikers pass the ball backwards and I wouldn't expect him to get as much freedom as in Feyenoord, at least not before the team gets gelled together better and players learn to play Lambert's style more - first get basics work and then you can start to improvise more.

I've been very impressed with Vlaar so far and he has formed pretty good partnership with Clark so far and he seems like a natural leader of defending unit.

For couple last games Villa has played 4-5-1/4-3-3 so KEA should suit that pretty well as more defensive midfielder but it has looked liked that KEA haven't gotten used to the pace of the PL yet but I expect him to get better in the spring or next season.

Both good signings - happy they are with us now.

really? i think KEA has been awful. very lightweight and poor in the tackle. also if he is not going sideways he is going backwards. I also think Vlaar is quite a poor centre half. he is very slow and his positional sense is awfil. Im amazed he has played for holland. I dont understand the fuss over him or why he has the armbamd. he is an inferior defender to james collins.

really? i think KEA has been awful. very lightweight and poor in the tackle. also if he is not going sideways he is going backwards. I also think Vlaar is quite a poor centre half. he is very slow and his positional sense is awfil. Im amazed he has played for holland. I dont understand the fuss over him or why he has the armbamd. he is an inferior defender to james collins.

Don't agree at all concerning Vlaar. He is a more cultured defender than Collins and can play out of defence without a nose bleed whereas Collin's passing from defence reminded me of a human cannonball without the net.

I do however agree with you concerning KEA. He has went backwards very quickly and the Premiership might just be too quick and strong for him. He's really not a DM and certainly not an AM so its hard to define what sort of player he really is and thats why our midfield has been so inbalanced when KEA plays. With Westwood now playing so well i really can't see where we'd play him in the team now. For me it would be a toss up between Delph and KEA as to who is now Westwood's understudy?

Â