Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

In his last three seasons for Feyenoord, he missed 8 games in 3 seasons. Try again.

What you say is true but if you look further back he has an appalling injury record, he played 131 games in 6 seasons at Feyenoord and only 8 games in 4 years at AZ Altmaar although he may not have been first choice in his early years there. I just hope its all behind him.

What you say is true but if you look further back he has an appalling injury record, he played 131 games in 6 seasons at Feyenoord and only 8 games in 4 years at AZ Altmaar although he may not have been first choice in his early years there. I just hope its all behind him.

Reminds me of a certain Martin Laursen and look how his status turned out to be!

Mellberg was above average but no more.

Southgate and Laursen carried him when alongside them.

Can't say I agree with the first statement. Mellberg was an excellent player for us. The other stuff just enhanced his reputation.

Fairly sure he didn't play many games at centre half with Laursen, and did he even play with Southgate?

What's all this about Mellberg being overrated? Wash your mouth out sir! Injuries took their toll and he did lose a yard of pace which he took a long time adjusting to, but adjust he did. In his first two/three seasons though he was absolutely brilliant. He kept this club up almost single handily under Taylor and was criminally shifted to full back by Martin O'Neill, an absolute travesty of a decision.

Still going and yes, I'd have him till the end of the season. If Vlaar can get anywhere near Mellberg in terms of what he does for this club we've got one hell of a player on our hands. He won't of course, but that doesn't make him a bad player. If he can just be the new Alpay that would be grand enough.

What's all this about Mellberg being overrated? Wash your mouth out sir! Injuries took their toll and he did lose a yard of pace which he took a long time adjusting to, but adjust he did. In his first two/three seasons though he was absolutely brilliant. He kept this club up almost single handily under Taylor and was criminally shifted to full back by Martin O'Neill, an absolute travesty of a decision.

Agreed 100% for me Mellberg was one of our best centre backs we have had in last 10 years

Mellberg was above average but no more.

He had a great beard and didn't like Blues, so fans liked him more.

Southgate and Laursen carried him when alongside them.

Woah there, I don't remember disagreeing with too many of your posts so doubt you're just on the wind-up, but you seem to be inventing facts to suit your argument! Southgate and Mellberg never played together; Olof was actually signed as his replacement. And I haven't got any stats to hand, but I rarely recall Mellberg playing alongside Laursen at centre-back. Mellberg had three whole seasons here before Laursen signed though, and the latter made 12, 1 and 14 appearances respectively in his first three seasons at the club following that. Laursen's only full season for us after this was the one in which O'Neill ridiculously decided not to sign a decent right-back and play Olof in this position, instead choosing to spunk money on Curtis Davies and Zat Knight to partner Laursen. Olof then left at the end of the season.

Olof was loved because he hated the Blues, and because he had an awesome beard, and because he was captain, and because he was loyal, and because he put in a great effort. However, Olof was also loved because he was a bloody good centre-back.

Edited by Troglodyte
  • Like 3

We do need Vlaar back as our defence is shit but I do agree with others on here that he seems to have been built up to be better than he is.

I wouldn't even have him in my top 10 of Villa centre backs in the time I have been watching them (just over 20 years).

Mellberg and alpay were the best cb pairing for us.

potentially though they never actually played that much together. Alpay was criminally underrated though he didnt help himself that he was a full blown psychopath

Â