Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

its hardly the defence fault. They defend well but when they have zero protection from midfield.. it causes panic.. they get overrun and outnumbered. Our midfield is the problem. Our defence and attack is decent enough.. problem is the link between them. I still think another CB and left back couldnt go astray though ;)

I completely agree with this.

It'll be good to have Vlaar back because he's a good defender but it's the support from the midfield that needs sorting out.

I completely agree with this.

It'll be good to have Vlaar back because he's a good defender but it's the support from the midfield that needs sorting out.

I don't disagree that the midfield is, and has been, a massive problem for us for many a season now, but the current defence has been absolutely woeful in the last few games. I think it was the Swansea highlights which showed instances where the three at the back were far too close to each other, leaving huge spaces over the other side of the pitch, and a through-ball which left all of them in no man's land. They are disorganised and it is only made worse by the lack of possession and shape our midfield have. Both need to be sorted. It worries me, however, that Norwich shipped a lot of goals when Lambert was in charge there.

He's decent, but our defense is utter horse piss. Thereby he is integral to our team's ability to stop goals going in at the wrong end. Basically our only Premier League standard defender, in my opinion.

Let's hope Vlaar can live up to the expectations that are being built up here. He is clearly an improvement on Herd as a CB but he is by no means capable single-handed of turning round the woeful defending we have seen, even in matches (Liverpool, Swansea) where we got decent results. We need more quality across the whole defence and better coaching. Some of the positional play has been appalling and communication apparently non-existent. Good on you, Ron - if you can sort all that out on your own, you will become a true legend.

Great, another crock. Maybe that's why he was so cheap in the first place. Feyenoord saw us coming!

In his last three seasons for Feyenoord, he missed 8 games in 3 seasons. Try again.

Vlaar isnt bad but i cant understand why he gets so many plaudits on here. Hes decent. thats about it. certainly no Mgrath, Melberg, Laursen etc.

have to agree he is an improvement on Cuellar and Collins but he isnt in the same league as other 3. probably not even as good as Dunne in his prime

Mellberg was above average but no more.

He had a great beard and didn't like Blues, so fans liked him more.

Southgate and Laursen carried him when alongside them.

Could do with Vlaar back tbh, disappointing this is much worse than a twinge.

Â