Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

Just quickly did this in Excel. Just league games. Can't say I'm surprised with any of this.

Clipboard01-1.jpg

Also, 33.33% win ratio with Vlaar and 12.5% without.

Over the course of the season this all amounts to just under 48 points with Vlaar. Without - 24.

Cheers for that.

Shocked by those figures, so without Vlaar we are pretty much dreadful. Think we need to bring in another more experienced centre-back alongside Vlaar, Clark does look much improved this season but still want if he can potentially turn into a Vlaar type leader one day.

we also require a Vlaar in midfield. A leader. Someone experienced and is calm on the ball. His presence will settle the players down and they make less mistakes knowing these experienced players are on the park. Its not rocket science. Paul Lambert has finally realised this. Vlaar is injury prone and we may require 1 more leader at the back as well.

we also require a Vlaar in midfield. A leader. Someone experienced and is calm on the ball. His presence will settle the players down and they make less mistakes knowing these experienced players are on the park. Its not rocket science. Paul Lambert has finally realised this. Vlaar is injury prone and we may require 1 more leader at the back as well.

I honestly believe Lambert thought KEA was the experience/leader we needed in midfield.

Hasn't turned out that way, sadly.

Back to Vlaar - so important for us. Provides more to the team than just being a good defender and, as such, is rightly wearing the captain's armband.

Funny, but more than anything else he seems to be a big contributor of our goals for.

I think this is logical. With Vlaar's calm presence in the back four, the defense looks more solid and the midfield feels more comfortable to get forward and help contribute to the attack.

• Like 1

I honestly believe Lambert thought KEA was the experience/leader we needed in midfield.

Hasn't turned out that way, sadly.

Back to Vlaar - so important for us. Provides more to the team than just being a good defender and, as such, is rightly wearing the captain's armband.

Probably. He needs a defensive midfielder. A powerful tall defensive midfielder to win headers in the air. Help out the defence. Strong and can bump players off the ball like Benteke does. KEA doesnt provide that. He may work well with this DM

Funny, but more than anything else he seems to be a big contributor of our goals for.

I think this is logical. With Vlaar's calm presence in the back four, the defense looks more solid and the midfield feels more comfortable to get forward and help contribute to the attack.

Yes, and Vlaar also plays forward quite nicely. But mostly what you said.

I just found it worth noticing that Vlaar's presence was even more noticable in goals for than goals against.

Tweet from Martin Laurence on twitter.

Villa's points per game with @RonVlaar4 starting this season = 1.47. Villa's points per game without him = 0.2

He must of read my tweet or my post earlier in this thread

It was worth rushing him back. This was the most winnable of this set of 3 fixtures. We'd likely be done by Arsenal & Liverpool with or without him. If we'd lost to Blunderland without Vlaar it probably would have meant going into the Baggies game with 1 draw and 7 defeats from 8 games. This has stopped the rot and put some breathing room between us & the bottom. Not to mention confidence would've been rock bottom too.

Was a massive result. Because of it I think we will stay up now. Imagine if it had went the other way.

Was a massive result. Because of it I think we will stay up now. Imagine if it had went the other way.

We'd have been 3 points ahead of Sunderland *shudder*.

I think pretty much every great manager sees his back four and middle players as the difference between the title and no title. Chelsea had Cech - Terry - Lampard - Drogba, pretty much the perfect setup. Ferguson had many, but including Van der Sar - Rio/Vidic - Scholes - Rooney. Arsenal have too weak of a central line in my opinion, counting Szczesny - Koscielny - Giroud as not good enough compared to its magnificent midfield. So yes, Ron Vlaar is our rock and probably the most experienced player in a our central line, as well as our best defender, and we suffer without him. There are so many things such a player does without we noticing it; taking out space/time against better/faster players, leading the others in the back four, communicating and assuring.

You can have a fun and mediocre team with only excellent attackers, but you can never have a great team with shit defenders. That just piles the pressure on the midfield which again will lead to them not enjoying their attacking time as much, because you know the ones behind you are bound to **** up if you are not there to help them out. I remember my time in the divisions (I was a winger), and when certain players were in the side you just knew you could keep attacking and trying to score goals, because you relied on the ones behind you. When certain dodgy players were in (i.e Nathan Baker, Antonio Luna, Chris Herd and Leandra Bacuna at the same time) you know you are going to have a torrid game overall and most likely lose.

I think Ron Vlaar makes the one beside him a much better player, for the qualities I mentioned above, but when two not so experienced players come together they can be wildly out of focus and mistakes happen.

Just said on talk sport that PL has said vlaar won't play against shef utd as the arsenal game is far more important

Absolutely the right choice IMO. The league has to be our priority.

Just said on talk sport that PL has said vlaar won't play against shef utd as the arsenal game is far more important

Absolutely the right choice IMO. The league has to be our priority.

I agree think donacien should get a game against utd

And he's right.

Indeed he is although I'm old fashioned and look forward to the 3rd round of the FA cup.

It's a shame we didn't pick up more points against Sunderland and Palace at home and Fulham and Stoke away as we'd be in a far healthier position in the league and therefore maybe more focussed on the FA cup. 

I've seen us win the League, the Euorpean cup and the League Cup and would love to add the FA cup to that list. 

Â