Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

Yes I'd agree. I think the instantaneous regression in the defence when he got injured is proof enough of his importance.

I must confess that I was pretty disappointed with him last season and wasn't certain he would come good this. Glad to see him looking now like the player I saw at Feyenoord though. Great leadership and an absolute rock.

Edited by Isa

mellberg or vlarr ?

King Olof hands down.

As good as Vlaar has been this season, it would be wrong to say he is of top-four calibre as Mellberg was.

Edited by Isa

mellberg or vlarr ?

Mellberg was a much better defender but Vlaar is much better on the ball than Mellberg ever was.

The former ultimately what you judge a CB on ;)

Getting a cruciate injury is pure bad luck.

However, once you suffer one, you're more likely to re tear it. He probably won't, but there's a higher chance he will than the average player.

Thats bollocks.

Plenty of players who have done their cruciate and gone on to have perfectly decent careers. If they didn't there would be a mass of retired players..

Sadly it's not bollocks. I've done mine twice and the surgeon who performed the second op confirmed a new ACL has an average lifespan of 10 years.

No... actually it is bollocks.

It's really not. I never stated that he's guaranteed to tear it again, ir even that it has a good chance of happening. He's still unlikely to re tear it, he just has a greater chance of suffering an ACL tear than someone who has never torn that ligament.

mellberg or vlarr ?

Mellberg for me all day long. I have been pretty fortunate in that I have witnessed some very good centre backs playing for us down the years. Evans, McNaught, McGrath, Mountfield, Nielsen, Teale, Southgate, Ugo, Alpay, Mellberg, Laursen.

Ron is decent. No more no less. Last season he was poor in probably the worst defence we have had in the last 25+ years. No doubting that he has been much better this season but if we want to get back to being a consistent top 10 side, at the very least, then players of Ron's ability are a minimum requirement. For where we are now though, and given the other players we have, he is vital, if we are to stay out of the relegation mire again this season.

However, once you suffer one, you're more likely to re tear it. He probably won't, but there's a higher chance he will than the average player.

Thats bollocks.

Plenty of players who have done their cruciate and gone on to have perfectly decent careers. If they didn't there would be a mass of retired players..

Sadly it's not bollocks. I've done mine twice and the surgeon who performed the second op confirmed a new ACL has an average lifespan of 10 years.

It's really not. I never stated that he's guaranteed to tear it again, ir even that it has a good chance of happening. He's still unlikely to re tear it, he just has a greater chance of suffering an ACL tear than someone who has never torn that ligament.

I tore mine as well. You have to learn how to play football a little differently. i.e, adjust to accommodate the injury..,,have to adapt. He should be fine though - the medical coverage these guys get now days is top class.

Edited by Jay.P.A

Thats bollocks.

I tore mine as well. You have to learn how to play football a little differently. i.e, adjust to accommodate the injury..,,have to adapt. He should be fine though - the medical coverage these guys get now days is top class.

Yeah I can see that with Benteke??????

The current set of defensive players are probably the worst set I've ever seen at the club. The fact vlaar is the best of this awful group doesn't make him excellent.

I remember a Jlloyd Samuel, Liam Ridgewell in our defence before. Im sure was one game they even played centre half together in O'Leary last season when we had an injury crisis

Vlaar is better with the ball at his feet then any central defender we've had in the last 10 years.

Who was our last real 'footballing' CB?

Southgate probably though Alpay, Zat Knight,Cahill and Curtis Davies werent that bad with the ball.

Collins was not in a million years footballing centre back :D

• Like 1

Vlaar is better with the ball at his feet then any central defender we've had in the last 10 years.

Who was our last real 'footballing' CB?

Southgate probably though Alpay, Zat Knight,Cahill and Curtis Davies werent that bad with the ball.

Collins was not in a million years footballing centre back :D

Yeah, I thought of Alpay but my memory of his ball-playing ability were a bit hazy. Was decent in that regard from what I remembered but it was a while ago now.

Â