Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

He's better than "completely average". If he is "completely average" then I'd love it if our team was full of equally "completely average" players.

I disagree. In my eyes he is exactly that, average. He does no more than I'd expect of a competent CB at this level.

But you're welcome to disagree.

As CED says above, he stands out as average because most of the rest of the team is shit.

• Like 1

He's better than "completely average". If he is "completely average" then I'd love it if our team was full of equally "completely average" players.

I disagree. In my eyes he is exactly that, average. He does no more than I'd expect of a competent CB at this level.

As CED says above, he stands out as average because most of the rest of the team is shit.

Based on what?

He'd walk into most sides in this league outside the obvious ones. His only real problem is his fitness. If he's average then there must be a lot of world class CBs in the Premier League.

I could equally ask you what your belief he's better than average is based on, that he would walk into most sides - ultimately it's our opinions, isn't it?

I don't think I'm saying anything particularly outrageous. Perhaps you disagree. Either way I'm not likely to change my mind and neither are you, so lets fight another fight, yes?

I agree. Ron is nothing special. I doubt very much he would even make a list of top 20 centre backs in my 30 odd years supporting us.

What he is though is way better than both Baker and Clark which means when he is out he is indeed a big miss for us.

Like most things at the club at present it is a very sorry state of affairs that when a player of Vlaar's standard is out we miss him as much as we do.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

I do find it a bit sad that even after his excellent performances this season he's still being branded as "average". As I said, I'd love it if the rest of the team were as "average" as him and not just because a lot of them are poor either.

I could equally ask you what your belief he's better than average is based on, that he would walk into most sides - ultimately it's our opinions, isn't it?

I don't think I'm saying anything particularly outrageous. Perhaps you disagree. Either way I'm not likely to change my mind and neither are you, so lets fight another fight, yes?

Well, he's composed, good on the ball, good tackler, a leader on the pitch, scores some cracking goals. The stats speak for themselves - without him we're relegation form with him we're mid-table.

Another fight? It's a discussion, that's what normally happens on forums.

Edited by Mantis

Well, he's composed, good on the ball, good tackler, a leader on the pitch, scores some cracking goals. The stats speak for themselves - without him we're relegation form with him we're mid-table.

Another fight? It's a discussion, that's what normally happens on forums.

Fair enough.

The fight stuff is a turn of phrase. I mean the discussion is pointless, and also not one I'm particularly interested in debating with you, so lets leave it.

Let's bring back MON's boys Dunne and Collins, I enjoyed so much when they got drunk and smash lamps together! #betterthanaverage

I enjoyed it when we had one of the best defensive records in the league instead of letting in 59 goals in one season.

• Like 1

Let's bring back MON's boys Dunne and Collins, I enjoyed so much when they got drunk and smash lamps together! #betterthanaverage

And tried to revolt against Houllier just because he wanted them to train more often.

Vlaar is better with the ball at his feet then any central defender we've had in the last 10 years.

Who was our last real 'footballing' CB?

Edited by Isa

Vlaar is better with the ball at his feet then any central defender we've had in the last 10 years.

Who was our last real 'footballing' CB?

Exactly. That's why he stands out to me.

I think he's a very good defender. OK, he took about 6 months to adjust to the PL, but now we know how important he is to our side.

I don't think he's just 'average' though to be honest.

Â