Stephen Ireland

omariqy

Yes totally agree as when you take into account the share of the transfer fee and wages, it has meant we sold our biggest asset at the time James Milner for nothing. Terrible business.

This "no desire to win" thing is complete bollocks though.

When I've watched Ireland on the pitch he's put in just as much effort as some other players, and in a few games a lot more effort than other players (Specially under McLeish), His effort and desire has never been in question for me, it's just that when he's on the pitch nothing really happens for him. He needs a system to be built with him and a certain type of player to play with him. We just don't have that and Lambert clearly doesn't rate him for whatever reason. (which is fair enough).

I used to think that too. Remember Wigan at home last season? Ireland was a disgrace that day.

When I've watched Ireland on the pitch he's put in just as much effort as some other players, and in a few games a lot more effort than other players (Specially under McLeish), His effort and desire has never been in question for me, it's just that when he's on the pitch nothing really happens for him. He needs a system to be built with him and a certain type of player to play with him. We just don't have that and Lambert clearly doesn't rate him for whatever reason. (which is fair enough).

I used to think that too. Remember Wigan at home last season? Ireland was a disgrace that day.

I actually completely missed that game through illness. From what I was told, everyone was awful that day.

I actually completely missed that game through illness. From what I was told, everyone was awful that day.

That match was an embarrassing display from every player in claret and blue that day. 1 nil down after 2 minutes, other than Holman hitting the bar we didn't create a chance.

I had tried to block that game from my memory. Dear god that was a low point in a few weeks of low points.

I had tried to block that game from my memory. Dear god that was a low point in a few weeks of low points.

Everyone was a disgrace at Wigan and at Bradford, Ireland has never been any worse than anyone else. Not saying I want him to stay just bored of him and Bent being the Pantomine villains.

Ireland is very clever, in the sense he'll run a bit in a meaningless way to give the impression he's trying. I don't think I've ever seen him bust a gut. What he does do very well is give up on 50/50 balls, pull out of tackles and show lots of attitude if he doesn't get a ball within a blade of grass of his boot.

Gary McAllister described him as "an empty crisp packet blowing about the pitch". What a fitting analogy that was.

• Like 3

thought he was on his way. i can't think of anyone who would be willing to take a punt on him but there will be someone out there, it just depends how much we want for him, which i hope isn't too much. i think he could be a really useful player, but it's never going to happen here now, same can be said for every member of the bomb squad, all can be great players, all have one problem with their game and all are now incapable of playing for us because of the way they have been unceremoniously frozen out

Ireland is very clever, in the sense he'll run a bit in a meaningless way to give the impression he's trying. I don't think I've ever seen him bust a gut. What he does do very well is give up on 50/50 balls, pull out of tackles and show lots of attitude if he doesn't get a ball within a blade of grass of his boot.

Gary McAllister described him as "an empty crisp packet blowing about the pitch". What a fitting analogy that was.

This is straight up bullshit.

Everyone was a disgrace at Wigan and at Bradford, Ireland has never been any worse than anyone else. Not saying I want him to stay just bored of him and Bent being the Pantomine villains.

Nothing wrong with being a panto villan!

• Like 4

Your opinion, obviously. Not one I share, I think EE is on the money with this as was Gary Mac. Something else I've noticed about him - and mentioned some time ago - relates to his "tackling" or not, as it actually is. Repeatedly I've seen him avoid getting his foot in there, he scuttles round behind players and tries to nick the ball that way. He just won't get involved in frontal or side tackling, he's like some crappy little dog that runs round nipping at heels so it won't get hurt. The result is he invariably gets nothing of the ball and gets brushed off - then he just stands there whilst the player runs away with the ball and leaves it up to someone else to put in a proper tackle.

A "creative player" who creates next to nothing; an attacking midfielder who never scores; a midfielder who doesn't tackle. That's a player who ain't worth shit. I have to admit that once or twice I have seen him take everyone by surprise and track back and put in a tackle. I suspect he surprised himself, too. I'm sure he gave himself a good talking to whenever he did that and swore not to do it again. 

• Like 1

Ireland has done very well for himself. The signs were there when he couldn't be bothered to man up and play international football. The guy hasn't got the mental strength to commit week in week out to anything,

Hat's off to him for making a fortune out of a couple of promising seasons. The real mugs are the guys who are paid big salaries to run football clubs.

It wouldn't happen in the real world, only in the fantasy world of unprofessional football.

Just as a matter of interest, can you provide any credible source for this alleged quote (other than this thread, where it appears twice)?

If you can't prove that he said it as a matter of public record, I suggest you don't use it.

Hindsight is 20/20 . Reality is that we  would have been so much better off just taking ₤25M from Citeh and not having anything to do with  Ireland. There can be no value placed on the  angst created  at   AVFC and among   the fans who have collectively   spent hour upon hour of  discussing the pros and  cons  (mostly  cons)  of  this  former talented player.

The writing was already on the wall  for   SI   when  Mancini  sent   him to play with the  reserves   saying  ."I don't know what he is thinking about his future but, for me, Stephen is a fantastic player and if he can change his head I think he can start to play like last season [2008–09] again"   Problem is  he didnt  appear  to  change anything except  his training shoes  on a  daily basis. 

At the time of leaving  the  BBC  quoted  Ireland as  saying "I've kind of forgotten the feeling of what it is like to come off after a game feeling tired, winning or losing. I'm not used to sitting out for so long," said Ireland. 

He  certainly is used to sitting out  now. I can't help feeling  thats  it's all been a  waste   for  everybody   involved including  Ireland himself. It  writes like a football tragedy.  Yes, I know that some will say  that the lad  is making millions but really?  How many   millions    can make  up  for  the fact  that  here is a  football player  who never  lived up  to the  expectations of  everyone  in the business. . So much latent  talent unused. So much money expended.

If I were in those   same  training shoes  I  would be massively  depressed, but thats  just me.

We will never know just how much having  SI as a  makeweight for  James Milner played  in MON's departure unless  of   course any of the parties involved  decides  to   write  a memoir.

Of  course  it  wasn't  Irelands  fault   that  the next  two managers struggled  to  get a  team together that  could compete at the level  that MON   had achieved. Some might argue that had  Ireland played  immediately  the way  he did  when  he was Citeh's  Player of the Year, things  might have been  different. To  that I would  say  that "If the  Queen had testicles she would be  the King!"

IIRC   he  has  one more year left on his contract with   AVFC.  I hope  for  his own sake that he  just  doesn't  spend the year  in the Bomb  Squad. There is a lot more football  to be played by   SI..  it's  just not  going to be  at  B6 .Additonally in  a month's  time  he will be   27  years old...  still  young enough  to   enjoy   what is left   of a  football career  that badly needs  salvaging..  for  his own  pride if nothing else. Ireland   still has a  chance  to make it to the World Cup. Stephen Ireland   still has a chance of   making that team but it   depends on him   having a  strong worthwhile  season to achieve that.

SI has windows of opportunities ahead of  him. I  hope  that he   takes them and  finds   that talent that   he  has. Sometimes in life, the money becomes irrelevant. Sometimes  the personal  satisfaction that  you  have accomplished all that  you are capable of  becomes paramount. Stephen Ireland, if  you are reading this, I  sincerely  hope  you understand  this and  grab   the  opportunity  that still lies before  you. Don't let money pre-occupations get in the way of  having a happy life!

• Like 2

Your opinion, obviously. Not one I share, I think EE is on the money with this as was Gary Mac. Something else I've noticed about him - and mentioned some time ago - relates to his "tackling" or not, as it actually is. Repeatedly I've seen him avoid getting his foot in there, he scuttles round behind players and tries to nick the ball that way. He just won't get involved in frontal or side tackling, he's like some crappy little dog that runs round nipping at heels so it won't get hurt. The result is he invariably gets nothing of the ball and gets brushed off - then he just stands there whilst the player runs away with the ball and leaves it up to someone else to put in a proper tackle.

A "creative player" who creates next to nothing; an attacking midfielder who never scores; a midfielder who doesn't tackle. That's a player who ain't worth shit. I have to admit that once or twice I have seen him take everyone by surprise and track back and put in a tackle. I suspect he surprised himself, too. I'm sure he gave himself a good talking to whenever he did that and swore not to do it again.

Not saying that he's very creative or anything. But to say he "pretends" to be trying or doesn't try hard enough is ridiculous.

In complete agreement. He is a complete con artist and I can't wait for him to be associated with another club. He had a lot of people defending him a couple of seasons ago and even last season to a certain extent (not me as I have always hated him) but it appears now the majority see Ireland for what he is. A shit lazy waste of space. When people always churned out the "he just needs the right players around him" line it made me wanna rip my arm off and throw it at the computer.

"The other players just aren't on the same wavelength" that was another good one

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with being a panto villan!

Oh yes there is. 

• Like 2

Â