Stephen Ireland

omariqy

To describe him as being "clearly a superb footballer" is, to me at least, entirely without foundation. He has done nothing to deserve such praise or such a label.

We clearly have different definitions of what a "superb footballer" is. I'm talking about the type of player you see play and you know straight away that he's class. Players with perfect technique.

Maybe in your opinion "superb footballers" are players who achieve great things at the highest level.

Stephen Ireland doesn't have perfect technique. He's good technique but he's inconsistent with it. I see him and think he could be class... Could...

Has anyone ever heard any fan from any other club actually say, that they'd like to see their club sign Ireland?

I've heard fans say Bent would be a good punt, but I've never spoke to anyone who would like Ireland.

Has anyone ever heard any fan from any other club actually say, that they'd like to see their club sign Ireland?

I've heard fans say Bent would be a good punt, but I've never spoke to anyone who would like Ireland.

I think this goes for managers too, add to the fact that he is on ridiculous money and you can see why we are going to have to pay him to leave.

I'd be interested to know how often (if ever) this has happened in the past.

I'm not talking about clubs subsidising wages which clearly happens a lot. But rather a player like Ireland who is so irrelevant to a club, with no takers at all in the market, that they would rather pay him to leave the building rather than keep him around as a mega emergency sub.

I do sometimes think Ireland gets a bit excessive criticism thrown at him. I've got some sympathy in that he joined the club at the worst time possible and has been here 3 years under three different managers (well, 5, if you factor in brief spells of MacDonald & McAllister) who all wanted to play different styles of football & none of whom signed him. this isn't so bad if you play a role that is always consistent - every manager plays CBs in relatively similar way, for example - but Ireland was sometimes played as more holding midfielder, sometimes behind the striker, sometimes box-to-box & didn't often gets runs in one position or with the same team-mates where he could really strike up the understanding which is necessary for creative player to thrive.

He has been disappointing in performances, no question & ultimately he has to take the blame that he never made a role his own in the chances he had, but I don't think he quite deserves the reputation as a waster or someone who didn't try. He's just a player who couldn't find form in one of the most unsettled periods the club has ever had.

Clearly it's best for all concerned if he moves on now. I expect if no taker comes in soon, we'll agree some payoff (6 months of wages?) to allow him to find somewhere as a free agent. wouldn't be surprised if he went to one of the semi-retirement leagues (US, Australia, UAE, China...)

• Like 4

I do sometimes think Ireland gets a bit excessive criticism thrown at him. I've got some sympathy in that he joined the club at the worst time possible and has been here 3 years under three different managers (well, 5, if you factor in brief spells of MacDonald & McAllister) who all wanted to play different styles of football & none of whom signed him. this isn't so bad if you play a role that is always consistent - every manager plays CBs in relatively similar way, for example - but Ireland was sometimes played as more holding midfielder, sometimes behind the striker, sometimes box-to-box & didn't often gets runs in one position or with the same team-mates where he could really strike up the understanding which is necessary for creative player to thrive.

He has been disappointing in performances, no question & ultimately he has to take the blame that he never made a role his own in the chances he had, but I don't think he quite deserves the reputation as a waster or someone who didn't try. He's just a player who couldn't find form in one of the most unsettled periods the club has ever had.

Clearly it's best for all concerned if he moves on now. I expect if no taker comes in soon, we'll agree some payoff (6 months of wages?) to allow him to find somewhere as a free agent. wouldn't be surprised if he went to one of the semi-retirement leagues (US, Australia, UAE, China...)

Ireland has been given numerous chances and he has not taken it and he doesn't care either, he doesn't have the desire to win. He is happy that his pay-check is topped up every week. All the other players we have at least want to play. As for superb footballer, great technique yes but useless having ability if you don't use it.

I feel sorry for this guy, well he brought it on himself at times...but the abuse from fans at times is crazy and he's just been unfortunate to fall in and out of managers plans.

When he had a good string of games behind him, he was showing some great talent...he was getting better by the game and didn't he pick up some award...fans player of the year or something?  But then as soon as he has a few bad games and he's dropped from the team, he gets pretty much slaughtered and never seems to get a chance to work his way back into the game.

There is no doubt this guy has shown some awesome raw talent and his eye to pick out a pass...I almost feel as if we've wasted this guys talent in the way he's been in and out of the team.  But then the double edge sword is we haven't time to wait for people to come good, I feel this lad is probably looked on as the big budget problem and get's unfairly made the scape goat.

If a manager of a team had the time to allow him to come to fruition with a few games in the bag, and a gentle hug here and there when things aren't going right...he could be an asset.  Unfortunately, that will never be at the Villa and it's unfortunate that we've lost out on what he can offer.

This "no desire to win" thing is complete bollocks though.

When I've watched Ireland on the pitch he's put in just as much effort as some other players, and in a few games a lot more effort than other players (Specially under McLeish), His effort and desire has never been in question for me, it's just that when he's on the pitch nothing really happens for him. He needs a system to be built with him and a certain type of player to play with him. We just don't have that and Lambert clearly doesn't rate him for whatever reason. (which is fair enough).

Ireland has been given numerous chances and he has not taken it and he doesn't care either, he doesn't have the desire to win. He is happy that his pay-check is topped up every week. All the other players we have at least want to play.

I agree he had a number of chances & not taken them, I said the same thing, but the other stuff is just you projecting on him. Okay I'm sure he's happy he's paid (as everyone is), but how do you know he doesn't care, doesn't have desire to win or doesn't want to play? Maybe he is just less expressive than some footballers.

Edited by switters

...has been here 3 years under three different managers (well, 5, if you factor in brief spells of MacDonald & McAllister) who all wanted to play different styles of football & none of whom signed him.

If the emboldened bit was a problem for him, he should never have come here, we didn't have a manager at the time

Ireland has had the chance to break into the side at times and not really taken it - he may be a good player but that is of little use if how attitude and workrate are poor - he had one very good season at man city and has never come close to repeating that in the last 4 years, for a player on his wages his attitude is very poor.

Ireland has been given numerous chances and he has not taken it and he doesn't care either, he doesn't have the desire to win. He is happy that his pay-check is topped up every week. All the other players we have at least want to play. As for superb footballer, great technique yes but useless having ability if you don't use it.

This is a load of bullshit sorry.

Ireland has had the chance to break into the side at times and not really taken it - he may be a good player but that is of little use if how attitude and workrate are poor - he had one very good season at man city and has never come close to repeating that in the last 4 years, for a player on his wages his attitude is very poor.

I just think this thing about attitude & workrate is a piece of received wisdom with little substance, where the real problem with his performances was simply the lack of end product. He just didn't produce enough to justify a spot in the team.

I disagree, there have been several games where he has looked disinterested and going through the motions - his display against bradford being one .

He looked totally unmotivated against a team 3 leagues below with a Wembley final at stake , unacceptable.

Edited by Eastie

This is a load of bullshit sorry.

Well it will be proven come Deadline Day, because for me he will be the last remaining of the Bomb squad. Also I was on about the the rest of the bomb squad in that comment you highlighted, they all will move on.

Ireland has been given numerous chances and he has not taken it and he doesn't care either, he doesn't have the desire to win. He is happy that his pay-check is topped up every week. All the other players we have at least want to play.

I agree he had a number of chances & not taken them, I said the same thing, but the other stuff is just you projecting on him. Okay I'm sure he's happy he's paid (as everyone is), but how do you know he doesn't care, doesn't have desire to win or doesn't want to play? Maybe he is just less expressive than some footballers.

Because when he was in the side he contributed nothing to a win, lets be brutally honest in 2 years he's created about 2 goals, and one was a mishit shot too Bent. As for goals, he's scored 1 goal for an AM. If he cared about wanting to play, he wouldn't be turning up at BMH.

OH MY GOD. Are people still complaining about Ireland getting Player of the Year the year before last? It was awarded based on player ratings given BY VILLA FANS on the OS.

He WAS our best player that season. That doesn't mean he was immense. I don't know if anyone remembers but we were absolutely horrendous at the time.

He's clearly a superb footballer, I refuse to listen to anyone who disagrees with that. Having said that I'd obviously like to see him move on to make room in the squad and on the wage bill for younger, fresher players. For whatever reason he hasn't done enough for us, but as previous posters have mentioned it's certainly not down to his work-rate which by all accounts is outstanding.

From what I can tell he's a decent guy, if a little strange. But that's the nature of the game, footballers seem to be so obsessed with public perception. When someone comes along who's irreverent and doesn't play the game, he's cast as a headcase.

I for one hope he finds an alright club.

I think I pretty much disagree with all of that, but as I've been awarded my first warning point that's all I will say on the matter.

If you can't discuss without the risc of getting a warning point, your argument must be rather poor.Or rather, you don't have one at all.

Well I was joking.

But to be serious for a moment... He didn't deserve player of the year that year, Given and Petrov were better and more influential, he isn't a good player, he's had 3 decent games for us in 3 years, and has been awful, and I do mean awful for about 5 years after I can only believe to be a lucky season at Man City.

I don't care how he spends his money, neither do I care if he's a nice guy or not, we need him gone because he's been the biggest financial disaster the club have ever had.

• Like 2

Stephen Ireland's last good season was 08-09.

Coincidently it was around the same time Ireland's economy when into the shitter.

Therefore Stephen Ireland's form is directly related to Ireland's economy and the only way to get him back in form is to get Ireland on the go again.

Therefore I think we should fundraise for Ireland.

Or sell him.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

Â