Matthew Lowton

Qwpzxjor1

Best crosser at the club and has plenty of potential. Can still be a quality RB with some better midfielders in front of him. As for blaming him for both goals. A little harsh considering Wilshire waltzed into the box unmarked and Delph had a mare when the ball came to him for the second.

Cost two goals, nice crossing though

Cost us the first goal.  Girouds first touch was perfect for the second goal and then he also got a bit of luck with the bounce off his knee and his finish going through Lowtons legs.

We seen exactly what Lowton is all about tonight, dodgy defensively but a real asset going forward.

Cost two goals, nice crossing though

Cost us the first goal.  Girouds first touch was perfect for the second goal and then he also got a bit of luck with the bounce off his knee and his finish going through Lowtons legs.

We seen exactly what Lowton is all about tonight, dodgy defensively but a real asset going forward.

Awful defending for both goals and dodgy in other places too, mind you don't get me started on Luna

Agree he is an asset going forward. This is why I would prefer Bacuna at right back if we are playing this counter attacking style. He is a much better defender 1v1.

Best crosser at the club and has plenty of potential. Can still be a quality RB with some better midfielders in front of him. As for blaming him for both goals. A little harsh considering Wilshire waltzed into the box unmarked and Delph had a mare when the ball came to him for the second.

He's not a quality full back, never has been, never will be. He's a lower league player who is out of his depth in the Premier. He's not on his own though, Lambert/Lerner have packed the squad out with players out of their depth. That's why we have the worst squad I've ever seen down the Villa.

• Like 2

He just can't do the basic things a defender needs to do, like mark a player and stay goal side.  He'll lose his man and cost us goals far more than he'll set up chances..

Yeah we saw the best and worst of him tonight. Great cross.

He has a problem in general play of when teams are passing it around he naturally seems to shift inside and comes close to the rightside central defender which leaves space for the left winger to run into as happened with the first goal.

May not have happened if we'd still had the 3 CBs.

When Lowton puts crosses in Benteke scores. We saw it last season. Just needs to improve defensively but I think he should stay in the team. Still think him and Bacuna down the right is worth a prolonged shot.

Phew!!!

his overall game is substandard....a few pockets of decent stuff like crosses.....not nearly enough for the premiership.

unless he shows a bit of interest and improves his game to someone that looks interested, don't see much hope for this guy.

he wouldn't be anywhere near My First team.

Ps ....after the Sheff game where i thought his work for their first goal was shocking. The fact he was in the team for the Arsenal game shows we have desperate problems.

Edited by TRO

Never a Premier League fullback in a million years, caught out for the first goal and completely done by Giroud for the second. Train him as a right midfielder if anything, can't defend for his life, no pace and is unaware of the surroundings around him. Would struggle in League One with Sheffield United with his current antics, sorry mean defending.

Lambert might of thought he played well last night and decide to play him against SAS on Saturday evening  :blush:

Edited by Avflife

No where near good enough but that goes for most of our team.

For me the 1st goal was more down to Westwood leaving his man but the defending was pathetic all round, we need a new defence.

Maybe Lambert's idea with Holt is to stick him behind Guzan, job done no need for any more defenders :(

He's always on the back foot when a ball is played past him, and he doesn't appear to have the awareness to act a bit quicker. Maybe some match sharpness would improve that aspect of his name but he is very good going forwards. Perhaps stick him and Albrighton on the wings to feed Benteke and Holt (ugh) with crosses? Although that would mean the likes of Gabby might miss out!

Thought he was good tonight. Their first goal was the only time I saw him lose his man - and that was shortly after our formation change due to Baker's injury.

He's not a brilliant defender, granted. But he's good at getting forward and generally being in the right position.

I simply cannot agree with those calling him sub-standard. Hutton was sub-standard. Lowton is not.

• Like 1

The guy seems to have lost the ability to tackle which is a pretty significant problem for a defender. From a defensive point of view it was as bad a performance as I've seen him have. He was a massively liability all game there, Vlaar bailed him out on a number of occasions.

Going forward great no complaints there but it is no coincidence that our "hard to break down" defence of earlier in the season has gone downhill since he's come back in.

The cross for the goal was an unbelievably good ball, then Benteke's chance for 2-2 came I think from him hitting a ball into the box from what looked a ridiculous place to try from, far too deep and far too narrow, that was a great ball too and could have earned us a point had Benteke managed to score.

Defensively though, whilst he's not as bad as the vitriol aimed at him suggests, he does get a bit lost positionally from time to time, same is true of Mr Moon though. 

Â