Matthew Lowton

Qwpzxjor1

From Sky Sports, among others

Sheffield United full-back Matthew Lowton is reportedly attracting the interest of Aston Villa boss Paul Lambert.

Lambert is understood to have been impressed with the 23-year-old's performances for the Blades last season and is weighing up whether to pursue his interest in the defender.

The Chesterfield-born player, who came through the youth ranks at the club, only signed a new contract at Bramall Lane last summer and the deal still has two more years to run.

However, following their failure to earn promotion back to the Championship last season, Blades boss Danny Wilson concedes that some of his first-team players will leave in order to pursue a career at a higher level .

Lambert has already dipped into the transfer market since moving from Norwich at Villa last month, snapping up Morocco midfielder Karim El Ahmadi from Feyenoord.

Young player, decent backup I think.
Not particularly exciting but thought I'd mention it.

Sheff have a good record with RB's and Culverhouse should be able to know a good one when he see's it..

but at 23 I feel he would have been snapped up already if he was going to make it. It may be a surprise and he may be very good but I'd much rather get Clyne sorted or pay a little bit extra for Naughton.

However, In Lambert we trust.

23 is still very young.

Really? Some on here might disagree especially when it concerns our own youngsters.

I alway take fans of lower league clubs praise of their own players with more than a pinch of salt. Usually they aren't as good when they have to cut it at a higher level. A friend of mine is a luton fan and was raving about Curtis Davies (many years ago), saying he is in the same class a Rio Ferdinand, and he looks it in the championship or back then in league 1, but in the premier league no chance! Championship to Premier league is not so bad, but league one or lower to Premier league is a massive gulf.

People mentioned Hart and Smalling, but they both took a season or two to adapt. most that make the jump go via the championship or spend a couple of years developing in the reserves.

Well, yes, 23 is young. He has perhaps another 12-14 years left as potentially top player. And whilst I know little about this kid, he's already pretty highly rated so its not like there are questions over him at Championship level for instance.

After that, its speculation on how well they would do in the PL. Thats what the management get paid for though.

What are we talking about though, a guy who can play across the back to add strength in depth? To compete with our other young defenders? Sounds OK to me.

Yes, I'd rather a more senior established player came in at right back with Herd and Lichaj covering but then again, this lad could be the next Jagielka. If thats what the management reckon we should go for him. We snooze, we lose.

Do you think we won't be able to shift Hutton then KSV? Do you think no one will want him because of his poor displays? And anyone that would want him wouldn't be able to meet his wage demands? So he'll just ride out his contract? Because I worry about that.

Do you think we won't be able to shift Hutton then KSV? Do you think no one will want him because of his poor displays? And anyone that would want him wouldn't be able to meet his wage demands? So he'll just ride out his contract? Because I worry about that.

yeah mate. Depends on the individual whether they really want to play or just collect their wages and let their careers go by.

Heskey was happy to sit on the bench and run his contract down.. and some others in the past.

I just hope McLeish gets a job soon and buys him.. same with Warnock.. go to Sunderland with MON.

Sheff have a good record with RB's and Culverhouse should be able to know a good one when he see's it..

but at 23 I feel he would have been snapped up already if he was going to make it. It may be a surprise and he may be very good but I'd much rather get Clyne sorted or pay a little bit extra for Naughton.

Feck me another 'in Lambert we trust.'

Why do we place our trust in a manager who has just come from Norwich?

Give him at least a season folks to see how he performs before we know whether he's the real McCoy or not. :?

Feck me another 'in Lambert we trust.'

Why do we place our trust in a manager who has just come from Norwich?

Give him at least a season folks to see how he performs before we know whether he's the real McCoy or not. :?

Taking Norwich from League One to missing out on goal difference on a top half finish in the Premiership in 3 years is enough for me. ILWT

Also, these are the players we should be targetting, alot of the England team at the moment (10/23) had played in lower leagues and that does not include loans. That's not including players who missed out on the squad like Smalling & Walker. We need to buy these players before they become stars and head off to the very very big clubs, it's the only way we can grow into a top force other than an Abramovic or City type takeover.

I asked my Blades-supporting mate, and he said:

From the same stable as the 'Kyles' who went to Spurs under similar circumstances. Lambert had Kyle Naughton at Norwich and I'd say Lowton is a similar sort of player.

Sounds worth a punt to me.

Apologies for the digress but in relation to our other RB Hutton (if you could call him that) I'm hoping Lambert won't let players he views as deadwood or surplus to merely sit around on the bench counting their money.

Hopefully If we cannot sell them then they'll be on loan with any potential loanee club having to pay half their wages. Correct me if i'm wrong though?!

I'd be happy if we got him in tbh, he can play all across the back 4 and in defensive midfield (ala Phil Jones) and the price Sheffers fans where saying they would be happy with is about £1million, thats a bargain tbh!!!

yeah mate. Depends on the individual whether they really want to play or just collect their wages and let their careers go by.

Heskey was happy to sit on the bench and run his contract down.. and some others in the past.

I just hope McLeish gets a job soon and buys him.. same with Warnock.. go to Sunderland with MON.

Off Topic, Sorry: Unfortunately Heskey wasn't on the bench though was he? Bit harsh on Heskey there I think he had some very good displays under Houllier and under both McLeish and Ged he showed a lot more passion than many of our other players. (Collins, Warnock, Dunne, Bent and i'd even mention Gabby in this)

Dare I say it he even improved the teams woeful performances when he was on the pitch last season.

None of that is to say I like Heskey, I've never liked him as a player since his England days, we never should have bought him and its a joke how many appearances he got under Eck, however it would have been a lot easier for him to sit down and pick up 60k a week looking forward to retirement. He also spent a lot of last season playing through injury and really gave his all in a vast majority of his time on the pitch. Not his fault McLeish's tactics were wrong and its not his fault as a player he isn't good enough.

Sorry for the rant but I think Heskey gets a lot levelled at him a lot of it justly even if its harsh but I dont think it's fair to say he was happy to run his contract down and pick up a wage, we had no bids for him he couldnt move elsewhere and whether we like it or not he was an integral part of the team last year

On topic: Sounds like he could be a good player then, still skeptical and would prefer Clyne who is more of a known quantity for me but anybody is better than Hutton..

Â