Stan Petrov

LondonLax

Surely RDM is looking to bolster his squad with quality and instill a winning mentality amongst the playing group....

.. which makes this transfer a no-brainer. Get it done.

6 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

Surely RDM is looking to bolster his squad with quality and instill a winning mentality amongst the playing group....

.. which makes this transfer a no-brainer. Get it done.

But he's hardly quality anymore, and hasn't won anything in over 10 years...

Not that I'm against having him around the first team in some kind of role.

4 hours ago, sne said:

But he's hardly quality anymore, and hasn't won anything in over 10 years...

Not that I'm against having him around the first team in some kind of role.

Won 3 cups in the Central Warwickshire Over 35's over the past two years.... And they're probably on a par with what he won prior to joining us!;)

• Like 2

His desire to get fit must be second to none (excuse the Sherwoodism) if he has got that fit that quickly. If he carries on at this rate he will actually be fitter than the rest of our squad and look like Akinfenwa in no time.

Sign him up. I'm not exaggerating when I say I have no doubt he is better than a lot of our current players. He reminds me of better times when we had a decent squad.

I would absolutely love for him to come back into the first team. As others have mentioned above, the parallels drawn between overcoming adversity for both parties is uncanny and for him to help drag us back into the BPL would be amazing.

The fan response alone would be worth giving him a shot. Having him back in the dressing room would be inspirational.  

Even if he only makes bench appearances, he is like a flamethrower to a bunch of low morale trees, revitalising the players and the fans at the club. He could even coach the U18s again, a model professional that all young players should look to follow. 

I feel awful saying it, but I have major reservations about this potential signing and I'm still one of his biggest fans.

Now I'm not saying that he wasn't a great player and I'm not saying he isn't a nice guy or that this desire to beat cancer was anything other miraculous, because it obviously was.

However even in his prime he always seemed to polarize peoples opinion, I still remember some of those comments and they weren't very flattering. And I do think that perhaps nostalgia has clouded some peoples judgment?

I don't think I could bare to see him fail and the thought of the inevitable vitriol from the terraces makes my stomach turn.  

Please don't get me wrong I'd love to have Stan back at the club, just not in squad.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Supervillan78 said:

I feel awful saying it, but I have major reservations about this potential signing and I'm still one of his biggest fans.

Now I'm not saying that he wasn't a great player and I'm not saying he isn't a nice guy or that this desire to beat cancer was anything other miraculous, because it obviously was.

However even in his prime he always seemed to polarize peoples opinion, I still remember some of those comments and they weren't very flattering. And I do think that perhaps nostalgia has clouded some peoples judgment?

I don't think I could bare to see him fail and the thought of the inevitable vitriol from the terraces makes my stomach turn.  

Please don't get me wrong I'd love to have Stan back at the club, just not in squad.  

I know us football fans are a bunch of fickle, short memory-having, unreasonable sub-human scum but I really don't think this would ever happen. The Villa fans know who he is, and what he has been through. There's no way he'd ever get a hard time from us.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Phumfeinz said:

I know us football fans are a bunch of fickle, short memory-having, unreasonable sub-human scum but I really don't think this would ever happen. The Villa fans know who he is, and what he has been through. There's no way he'd ever get a hard time from us.

Should he return then I hope you're right.

• Like 1

I was one of those that questioned his ability when he was on form. But he was certainly better than anything we've had since. I think if fit enough we'd be stupid not to sign him. Yes he probably won't play a lot, but ten minutes left in a game he would certainly raise the spirits of fans and players. Imagine being the same dress in room as someone so influential being though what he has. Player/coach role would be brilliant

I love the guy

but I have grave doubts about his return....It smacks of desperation......not for me.

but then most of the current squad wouldn't be either.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, TRO said:

I love the guy

but I have grave doubts about his return....It smacks of desperation......not for me.

but then most of the current squad wouldn't be either.

Desperation by whom? If he's fit and he can play to a level we require, where's the desperation? If he's not, don't sign him. Pretty simple really. I'm not seeing the downside to that arrangement.

• Like 3

Yeah I fail to see the desperation.

Is Petrov desperate to return to football? Probably. Can you blame him? Is that really a bad thing? It means he'll have desire if he does make it.

Are we desperate for potentially taking him on? I don't see how. We have a player who had to retire because he had cancer whilst playing for us, and is now on the coaching staff. He wants to try and make a comeback and we appear to have said we're willing to help him and take him on IF he's successful.

I really fail to see how that is desperation. If anything it's just not being a total bunch of rocket polishers about it.

• Like 3

I don't see too much of an issue with Stan returning to the squad, providing that he is fit enough to do a job and that he is not expected to be number one in his position. I highly doubt that Stan is lookiing for a lucrative contract and is probably willing to play for a small wage and for his love of the game. Therefore it is a low risk move for me, and keeps Stan involved with the club with an eye to moving into a coaching or ambassadorial role at the club.

Â