Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

ClaretMahoney

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, Nicho said:

Said the same to a colleague, at least wait until he has retired.

Kompany getting one aswell, I’d assume Aguero will then be in line for one. Think they have a training ground named after Joe Hart 🤦‍♂️

Trying to force a history.

Bingo.

Reeks of trying to artificially elevate yourself to the level of the other club you share a city with. Make no mistake, City are the little brother of Manchester United.

7 hours ago, MNVillan said:

Bingo.

Reeks of trying to artificially elevate yourself to the level of the other club you share a city with. Make no mistake, City are the little brother of Manchester United.

So they are basically the United States of America. A superpower without history :D 

You do have to question though; what is history?

I'm sure that in 20 years time the older Man City fans will tell their kids of Silva or the Aguero goal. It's what put the club on the map.

Just because we have FFP now and it's more difficult that any team can just buy their way to the top, I kinda get what Man City are doing with creating statues etc. This is their turnaround to the big boys and players like Silva were there at the begenning of it. Regardless of whether it's fair, just, whatever metaphysical twist you want to put on it, it's the biggest thing that's happened to them so no wonder they are trying to cement it for future generations of fans.

If OUR billionaire owners bought Mbappe tomorrow and we won consecutive leagues and maybe achieved European success, while the player showed great commitment to club and led by example (like Silva did), I'd have no problem with an Mbappe statue outside on of the stands. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

You do have to question though; what is history?

I'm sure that in 20 years time the older Man City fans will tell their kids of Silva or the Aguero goal. It's what put the club on the map.

I don’t doubt the status of the players or their achievements. It’s the timing of it especially when the players are still active. 

25 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Just because we have FFP now and it's more difficult that any team can just buy their way to the top, I kinda get what Man City are doing with creating statues etc. This is their turnaround to the big boys and players like Silva were there at the begenning of it. Regardless of whether it's fair, just, whatever metaphysical twist you want to put on it, it's the biggest thing that's happened to them so no wonder they are trying to cement it for future generations of fans.

I think city are doing something slightly different with statues

city are one of the most forward thinking teams in the league when it comes to the fan stuff outside the ground, which may be surprising in that they 1) don't have and 2) constantly berate Liverpool and utd for their daytrippers, they've done the fan park, the whole campus thing and the community centres there which also includes various bits of art work and sculptures, no doubt a huge shop selling their £100+ shirts

a silva statue does have a value to someone travelling internationally to watch a city game who turns up 2 hours before kick off and I think that's where city's next targeted bit of growth will be

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

I think city are doing something slightly different with statues

city are one of the most forward thinking teams in the league when it comes to the fan stuff outside the ground, which may be surprising in that they 1) don't have and 2) constantly berate Liverpool and utd for their daytrippers, they've done the fan park, the whole campus thing and the community centres there which also includes various bits of art work and sculptures, no doubt a huge shop selling their £100+ shirts

a silva statue does have a value to someone travelling internationally to watch a city game who turns up 2 hours before kick off and I think that's where city's next targeted bit of growth will be

Agreed. I tagged picture with Silva statue on Instabook is revenue in the long run.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It'll be so exciting if this Messi thing comes off. Yeah, it's not fair, but football isn't these days. Was ruined a long time ago.

I'd love to see him in the PL.

I'd have said it was impossible two weeks ago but the longer it drags on, the more it feels it could happen.

Edited by Tomaszk

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

I think it will just be too complicated even for City to buy Messi. I suspect he will stay at Barcelona for one more year and then go somewhere in Europe for a few years before retiring.

It sounds like he wants the MLS. If he stays at Barcelona for the last year of his contract he’ll be 34 so might head straight to the USA from there.

47 minutes ago, Genie said:

It sounds like he wants the MLS. If he stays at Barcelona for the last year of his contract he’ll be 34 so might head straight to the USA from there.

That would be a real shame

I imagine Messi would still be good enough for a major european league when he's about 50. So to see him going to the MLS at 34 would be a huge waste.

• Like 1

Genuine question - apologies if already asked.

Does Messi still have the legs to play in a Pep style high press team. His tracking back at Barca in recent years has been pretty much non existent. 

Does Pep forgive it because he’s still just fantastic on the ball or does he try and get Messi pressing in the same way as everyone else and maybe sacrifice the number of games he plays? 

Citys weakness is at the other end of the pitch but it would be a waste of Messi's talent to have him tracking back. The fact that he hasnt turned up for training for the second day running means he wants out

Edited by PaulC

8 hours ago, Genie said:

The mooted City deal was for two or three years in Manchester then on to NYC to their American club - best of both worlds.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, villaglint said:

Genuine question - apologies if already asked.

Does Messi still have the legs to play in a Pep style high press team. His tracking back at Barca in recent years has been pretty much non existent. 

Does Pep forgive it because he’s still just fantastic on the ball or does he try and get Messi pressing in the same way as everyone else and maybe sacrifice the number of games he plays? 

There was a bit of analysis about this in the Guardian recently:

In 2009-10, Messi regained the ball 2.1 times per game in La Liga. By 2011-12 that was down to 1.2. Since Guardiola left, that figure has never risen above 1.

A comparison with City’s attacking right is revealing. The season before last, the role was shared between Riyad Mahrez, Bernardo Silva and Raheem Sterling, who averaged 1.4 regains per game (although Bernardo Silva was notably more effective in that regard than Mahrez). Last season, Mahrez played on the right 20 times in the league and averaged 1.3 regains per game, while Bernardo played there 11 times and averaged 1.8. Mahrez’s comparatively low figure is itself revealing, but it is still about two‑thirds more than current Messi.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2020/aug/29/forget-the-romance-lionel-messi-will-not-make-manchester-city-better

Edited by LondonLax
  • Like 1

Â