Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

Zatman

4 minutes ago, dubbs said:

Would any of you hate to see him as Villa's manager?

Any sane fan would be euphoric, he’s one of the best coaches of his generation. Because he’s not perfect then people call him a con artist / fraud etc which is madness.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, dubbs said:

I think his skill set is with top players and getting them to play better, not bollock tickling confidence stuff but getting more footballing ability out of them, sterling being a prime example

I think it's an under appreciated skill set

Could pep turn grimsby in to world beaters? No

But at the same time it's also nonsense that any manager in the world can over man City and do things because of their money, look at Mourinho and how utd players wouldn't perform for him but now do for ole, I don't think Bielsa would work as man City manager, I think management at the very very top with a squad of world class players (not one or two or even a team, a squad of £30m+ £200k a week internationals) has a mental side to it that jobs like villa simply don't have 

I'd obviously love to have him at villa but I'm not sure what he'd do for us

• Like 1

Pep built what I'd consider to be the greatest club side of all time and possibly the best Prem team I've seen as well.  I know there are a couple of posters who hate anything to do with Barcelona on here but I'd be surprised if the huge majority of people don't consider him to be one of the top 2 or 3 managers in the world.

1 hour ago, dubbs said:

But would he do a good job. Given the same resources as Smith would he do better. Hause and Taylor playing the ball out from the back with Nakamba and Hourihane playing tiki taka in the middle of the pitch with Wesley as a false 9 dropping back

Just now, Zatman said:

But would he do a good job. Given the same resources as Smith would he do better. Hause and Taylor playing the ball out from the back with Nakamba and Hourihane playing tiki taka in the middle of the pitch with Wesley as a false 9 dropping back

Slightly better, wouldn't automatically make us CL contenders 

but like I said would Smith do better at city? Also no 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

But the points tally of the other teams have gotten lower. Is a lot less quality in the overhyped financially doped Premier League

Its only a year ago that they had all four finalists in both european competitions. Its a bit of a myth that the quality has gone down. 

4 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Its only a year ago that they had all four finalists in both european competitions. Its a bit of a myth that the quality has gone down. 

With the money they spend they should have all 4 finalists every year

The budget of Crystal Palace is more than Lyon and similar to Leipzig 

Edited by Zatman

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

With the money they spend they should have all 4 finalists every year

The budget of Crystal Palace is more than Lyon and similar to Leipzig 

Yes I agree, inflated prices, inflated wages its a meal ticket. 

That's the last thing keeping football interesting 

Wolves are a good, very well coached team, sevilla are a good very well coached team, the 2 styles of play are opposite so it's hard to guess which one will come out on top

Wolves missed the penalty

Even last night sterling scores a tap in and the ref decides that is actually interfering with play and the result is different 

PSG vs atalanta and mbappes injury took 2 or 3 days longer to heal

Barca.... Was only ever going one way 

Its never going to be as simple as man City spend money so man City should win 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

That's the last thing keeping football interesting 

Wolves are a good, very well coached team, sevilla are a good very well coached team, the 2 styles of play are opposite so it's hard to guess which one will come out on top

Wolves missed the penalty

Even last night sterling scores a tap in and the ref decides that is actually interfering with play and the result is different 

PSG vs atalanta and mbappes injury took 2 or 3 days longer to heal

Barca.... Was only ever going one way 

Its never going to be as simple as man City spend money so man City should win 

Yes small margins decide games. Knockout competitions are different to leagues and particularly when its one game instead of two. If Man City had have played Lyon home and away would the outcome have been different! Bayern have obviously been the best side and should win it but we shall see. 

• Like 1

Anyone who questions if Pep Guardiola wouldn't improve Aston Villa or any other British team bar Liverpool is smoking some heavy stuff and they should probably go easy on it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dubbs said:

Sorry thought this was an open topic on Man City?

Yes it is, clue is in the topic name. That doesn’t answer my question though, what relevance was your point re Villa to the discussion on if he is over rated? Because I can’t see one, it’s just another silly strawman argument of which there are always a number thrown up when it gets hard to defend Pep’s position as the greatest coach in football.

13 hours ago, Genie said:

They beat some of the best teams in Europe including the most successful European side in history just last week. He has also won lots of domestic trophies playing some of the best football I’ve seen in the Premier League. When they click they are unplayable and that is down to Pep (and the financial backing).

As I said, he’s not the best ever but he’s also not a fraud/ con man.

I didn’t say he was, that was someone else and it’s not an accusation I really understand. I don’t think he is a fraud or con man because it isn’t what he says I take issue with it’s what is said by others about him that irritates me.

Quite simply I think he is a very good manager, but nowhere near as good as many have and continue to proclaim. 

9 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Pep built what I'd consider to be the greatest club side of all time and possibly the best Prem team I've seen as well.  I know there are a couple of posters who hate anything to do with Barcelona on here but I'd be surprised if the huge majority of people don't consider him to be one of the top 2 or 3 managers in the world.

Who hates anything to do with Barca?

Â