Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

Zatman

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

With what he’s achieved why would he go to a lower level?

its a bollocks that he’s done nothing because of the talent he’s had available and it’s bollocks that he should prove himself at grimsby

file that in the same draw as messi is overrated because he hasn’t left barca 

Yeah, it's a ludicrous argument. He's very very good at managing very big teams. He doesn't need to drop down to a lesser team to prove himself.

And Pep's defences will always be dodgy in certain scenarios, because he doesn't defend in the traditional way

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

They have spent ridiculous amounts of money on defenders since Pep has got there. Spend spend spend. Foden aside when is the academy going to get a look in?

A bit like most other clubs I think their academy is now targeting FFP revenue

And apart from sancho who I'm sure theyd like back who have they let go that's done anything? I can only think of the winger at schalke and then Diaz back to Madrid and they're struggling to keep hold of garcia now, angelino is on a buy back clause and those 3 were all bought in rather than picked up as 12 year olds 

The only one who seemingly got away from them was the English CB who did nothing on loan at baggies 

If it ain't there then it ain't there 

19 hours ago, villa4europe said:

With what he’s achieved why would he go to a lower level?

its a bollocks that he’s done nothing because of the talent he’s had available and it’s bollocks that he should prove himself at grimsby

file that in the same draw as messi is overrated because he hasn’t left barca 

Has anyone actually said he should prove himself at Grimsby? I rather suspect they haven't and obviously he doesn't need to do so.

It is though, in my opinion, perfectly reasonable to point out that Pep has only ever managed at the top of the football food chain and with resources few if any can match in the domestic league he has operated.

Granted he has been successful, very successful but that success has to be seen within the context of the clubs he has managed and the money he has spent.

The money he has spent at City is on a level no other manager has spent anywhere but he has, in my opinion, massively underachieved. 

I also think you can't ignore the fact that of the best Man City players during his reign - Kompany, KDB, Sterling and Aguerro he only signed Sterling. Now granted Sterling has improved significantly under Pep but the list of absolute failures signed for huge money is simply staggering.

I just think there is an almost total lack of context applied to the praise of Pep, he is a good manager but great or the greatest? Not for me personally. 

He is also credited with inventing a new way of playing, he hasn't, he has evolved it but the foundations of his system go all the way back to Johan Cruyff.

I totally agree that the criticism of him is often OTT, he is a better manager than many of his detractors credit him but it is I think a reaction to the ridiculous fawning and OTT praise often found in relation to him.

One extreme creates and feeds the other, as always the truth is somewhere inbetween.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Has anyone actually said he should prove himself at Grimsby? I rather suspect they haven't and obviously he doesn't need to do so.

It is though, in my opinion, perfectly reasonable to point out that Pep has only ever managed at the top of the football food chain and with resources few if any can match in the domestic league he has operated.

Granted he has been successful, very successful but that success has to be seen within the context of the clubs he has managed and the money he has spent.

The money he has spent at City is on a level no other manager has spent anywhere but he has, in my opinion, massively underachieved. 

I also think you can't ignore the fact that of the best Man City players during his reign - Kompany, KDB, Sterling and Aguerro he only signed Sterling. Now granted Sterling has improved significantly under Pep but the list of absolute failures signed for huge money is simply staggering.

I just think there is an almost total lack of context applied to the praise of Pep, he is a good manager but great or the greatest? Not for me personally. 

He is also credited with inventing a new way of playing, he hasn't, he has evolved it but the foundations of his system go all the way back to Johan Cruyff.

I totally agree that the criticism of him is often OTT, he is a better manager than many of his detractors credit him but it is I think a reaction to the ridiculous fawning and OTT praise often found in relation to him.

One extreme creates and feeds the other, as always the truth is somewhere inbetween.

Excellent post. Summed up what I think far more eloquently that I could ever do!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

for all the complaints about defending, his transfers have been very dodgy at nearly every club he managed. Nolito, Stones, Bravo, Chygrinsky, Ibrahimovic for Etoo

you know that's not a good argument...you've picked out 5 transfers from the 50+ that he's made, its a pissing contest

i'll spin it another way and say dani alves, pique, mascherano, , kimmich, lewandowski, sanchez, Alonso, coman with change from £100m

10 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

you know that's not a good argument...you've picked out 5 transfers from the 50+ that he's made, its a pissing contest

i'll spin it another way and say dani alves, pique, mascherano, , kimmich, lewandowski, sanchez, Alonso, coman with change from £100m

At Bayern which had the most successful signings he never really had a major say in transfer policy either compared to his 2 other clubs

Barcelona

Hits:

Pique, ALves, Keita, Mascherano, Sanchez

Flops: Henrique, Hleb, Caceres, Zlatan, Chygrynsky, Kerrison, Afellay,Fabregas (considering they tapped him up for 5 years)

Average: Pinto, Maxwell, Adriano, VIlla,

Bayern:

Hits: Thiago, Kimmich, Coman, Vidal, Costa, Lewandowski

Flops: Gotze, Kirchoff, Rode, Benatia

Average: Reina, Bernat

City

Hits: Sane, Zinchenko, Bernardo, Walker, Laporte

Flops: Bravo, Stones, Nolito, Moreno, Danilo, Mendy, Cancelo, Angelino

Average: Gundogan, Jesus, Ederson, Mahrez, Rodri, Steffen

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Now do Jose, klopp and Sir Alex... 

Like I said pissing contest 

we arent criticizing there defences or transfer policy

They have all experience and success of building a team or rebuilding a team

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

we arent criticizing there defences or transfer policy

They have all experience and success of building a team or rebuilding a team

So does pep... 

He rebuilt barca to be arguably the greatest club side ever seen 

2008/09 season

OUT - Edmilson, Zambrotta, Thuram, deco, Ronaldinho

IN - Keita, pique, caceres, hleb, alves 

i would actually argue that doing that and taking barca from 3rd in the league to doing the treble is as good a turn around as any manager has ever made

• Like 1

11 hours ago, villa4europe said:

So does pep... 

He rebuilt barca to be arguably the greatest club side ever seen 

That team had Valdes, Puyol, Xavi, Iniesta, Messi as a building spine, probably all played 100 games for Barcelona before Pep took over. 

3 of them played in euro 2008 that Spain won

Â