Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

Zatman

Zlatan didn't flop on the pitch at Barca but I guess the club could have foreseen that Messi and him would not click as they both have massive egos. Pep obviously choose to bend to Messi's will, and rightly so.

• Like 1

On 01/10/2020 at 01:16, Stevo985 said:

Yeah, it's a ludicrous argument. He's very very good at managing very big teams. He doesn't need to drop down to a lesser team to prove himself.

Actually he does. I must be easier managing a top team with loads of $$$ than managing a team like Stoke or Carlisle.In other words do you think Pep is good enough to take Huddersfield up to the Premier League or Sheffield United up to the Premier League ? I dont.

Look at really great managers.Fergie won the Scottish title with Aberdend.J.Mercer and Bill Shankley both managed lower division teams before managing Liverpool.Look at Z.Zidan.His very first management job is Real Madrid.He is starting at the top,just like Pep.He wont manage teams like Sheffield,Wolves or Bournemouth but the TOP teams that he manages will do well because there are not too many managers that would manage a top team and get them relegated.

1 hour ago, PussEKatt said:

Actually he does. I must be easier managing a top team with loads of $$$ than managing a team like Stoke or Carlisle.In other words do you think Pep is good enough to take Huddersfield up to the Premier League or Sheffield United up to the Premier League ? I dont.

Yes. He absolutely is

But it's an argument that will always get thrown at him because he will never have to drop down to clubs at that level. He has shown he is an excellent manager for big clubs so he'll continue to get jobs at big clubs. If he left Man City he could get a job at pretty much any club in the world if the opportunity is there.

Would managers like Pulis and Wagner have had the success Pep has had if they'd managed Barcelona, Bayenr and Man City instead? I highly doubt it. 

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Zatman said:

At Bayern which had the most successful signings he never really had a major say in transfer policy either compared to his 2 other clubs

Barcelona

Hits:

Pique, ALves, Keita, Mascherano, Sanchez

Flops: Henrique, Hleb, Caceres, Zlatan, Chygrynsky, Kerrison, Afellay,Fabregas (considering they tapped him up for 5 years)

Average: Pinto, Maxwell, Adriano, VIlla,

Bayern:

Hits: Thiago, Kimmich, Coman, Vidal, Costa, Lewandowski

Flops: Gotze, Kirchoff, Rode, Benatia

Average: Reina, Bernat

City

Hits: Sane, Zinchenko, Bernardo, Walker, Laporte

Flops: Bravo, Stones, Nolito, Moreno, Danilo, Mendy, Cancelo, Angelino

Average: Gundogan, Jesus, Ederson, Mahrez, Rodri, Steffen

Wish we had someone as average as Jesus

It's a difficult case to argue methinks, cause the football Guardiola wants to play and have had success with, really isn't doable down the divisions. 

My local team changed accordingly after being promoted to the top division cause at that point was the first time they could get good enough players for the football they wanted to play. 

I think Guardiola would struggle in the championship. 

3 minutes ago, sne said:

Not a single team in the Championship that wouldn't improve massively with Pep as manager.

Not a single team in the premier League with the exception of Liverpool that he wouldn't improve.

• Like 1

This has come round again... 

FWIW I think his personality would give any championship team a huge lift, his tactics might not work completely but then Leeds and Bielsa suggest that it might

On the other hand there is a misconception that anyone can manage man City or PSG but PSG in particular keep showing that it's not actually that easy, star player internationals costing £50m+ on £200k a week stuck on the bench? Or not playing the way they want or put of position or being forced to track back etc? You need to be of a certain stature for that and pep obviously is, not sure there's a player in the world who wouldn't sit and listen when he talks, the likes of Jose can't boast that anymore 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I think Guardiola would struggle in the championship. 

Just nonsense. Sorry. 

But like I said we’ll never find out so it’ll always get thrown at him

2 hours ago, Mic09 said:

Not a single team in the premier League with the exception of Liverpool that he wouldn't improve.

Surely he couldn't improve Leeds more than the mighty Bielsa already has done? 

They are missing Silva and prime Fernandinho massively. 

The amount of control they imposed was so important. Rodri is probably a little better on the ball but nowhere Fernandinho’s level off it. Foden undoubtedly talented but still very raw and he doesn’t have the ability to dictate the tempo like Silva did, more of a goal-scoring midfielder then the string-puller they need.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Whatever happened since 2019 to their fitness levels? 

No more steroids possibly. Liverpool next possibly. I post this in good faith. 

Edited by Sulberto21
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, PaulC said:

Wish we had someone as average as Jesus

sorry what? are we in the same conversation but Jesus is an absolute average centre forward. Benteke did more at Villa with a lot less

Jesus 42 in 104 or Benteke 42 in 90 playing for a shitter team

Â