Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

Zatman

12 hours ago, PaulC said:

There’s no proof this is the case. That’s just your opinion. Facts are there that both Liverpool and Man City have moved to another level in domestic football 

You honestly think the PL is more competitive now than it used to be? Or even on a par? If so I really can’t be bothered to try and counter that, our views are so polarised that we will simply never agree.

The gulf between the top and bottom of the league has never been greater in a number of ways. 

Just now, sharkyvilla said:

Yeah and Zatman 😄

Hate is obviously too strong a word but I really can't stand some of their players and their fans. Also cant stand the entitlement from pretty much everyone involved at the club.

Pep is a good manager thou, obviously.

37 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I didn’t say he was, that was someone else and it’s not an accusation I really understand. I don’t think he is a fraud or con man because it isn’t what he says I take issue with it’s what is said by others about him that irritates me.

Quite simply I think he is a very good manager, but nowhere near as good as many have and continue to proclaim. 

You said

It isn’t Pep’s fault but the hype about him for years has been totally ridiculous.

He was very successful at Barca with the player so many proclaim to be the greatest ever.

Since then he under achieved at Munich and has done so at City despite spending half a billion.

He is so over rated it is untrue.

I guess it’s personal opinion.

In 12 years, in 3 countries he’s won:

8 league titles

11 domestic cups (+ 2 charity shield)

2 Champions league

3 UEFA super cup

3 World Club cup

27 (+2) trophies in 12 seasons.

and from what I saw at Barcelona and Man City playing some of the best football I’ve ever seen (I didn’t see much of his time in Munich).

I’m not sure how you won that much and be massively over rated.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

You honestly think the PL is more competitive now than it used to be? Or even on a par? If so I really can’t be bothered to try and counter that, our views are so polarised that we will simply never agree.

The gulf between the top and bottom of the league has never been greater in a number of ways. 

It’s not that long at that a team got promoted and won the league the season after. It’s a one off but teams like wolves and shef united have come up and done pretty well. I think Man City and Liverpool have raised the bar. 

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

You said

I guess it’s personal opinion.

In 12 years, in 3 countries he’s won:

8 league titles

11 domestic cups (+ 2 charity shield)

2 Champions league

3 UEFA super cup

3 World Club cup

and from what I saw at Barcelona and Man City playing some of the best football I’ve ever seen (I didn’t see much of his time in Munich).

I’m not sure how you won that much and be massively over rated.

I know what I said and yes I’m aware of what he has won.

I’m also aware of the context of his career, the players he inherited at Barca in a league that is essentially a two horse race. The context of German football and Munich’s dominance domestically year on year, I’m also aware he failed in Europe for them or to get close to the achievements of his predecessor.

I’m also aware he inherited a fantastic squad at City and has spent £700m on it and I think I’m right in saying had the highest net spend in Europe over the last 4 years.

Yes he has won a lot, yes he is a very good and successful manager but the best? The best ever? A genius? Revolutionising the English game? No not for me.

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

It’s not that long at that a team got promoted and won the league the season after. It’s a one off but teams like wolves and shef united have come up and done pretty well. I think Man City and Liverpool have raised the bar. 

I don’t think naming outlying examples disproves the wider trend personally. 

4 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I don’t think naming outlying examples disproves the wider trend personally. 

No to be fair there a definite trend of lower points totals staying up. I think the league will be more competitive next season though with no runaway winners

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

Yes it is, clue is in the topic name. That doesn’t answer my question though, what relevance was your point re Villa to the discussion on if he is over rated? Because I can’t see one, it’s just another silly strawman argument of which there are always a number thrown up when it gets hard to defend Pep’s position as the greatest coach in football.

Oh a sarcastic opening, how original.  Maybe you misunderstood my point.  As its an open thread to discuss Man City I simply asked if anyone would hate to see him as Villa manager.   It wasn't a direct reply to a particular post.  I'll try and make my posts clearer in future.

Edited by dubbs
  • Like 1

I think the football Pep serves up would get boring really fast for me. I prefer the Klopp style of high press football. Don’t see what the issue is what that? The game is about opinions. Look at the football Bayern play now vs what they did with Pep, far more enjoyable now in my opinion. 

9 hours ago, dubbs said:

Oh a sarcastic opening, how original.  Maybe you misunderstood my point.  As its an open thread to discuss Man City I simply asked if anyone would hate to see him as Villa manager.   It wasn't a direct reply to a particular post.  I'll try and make my posts clearer in future.

Simply replying in the tone you used. I asked a simple question to see if your question was related to the discussion, it wasn’t, end of really.

Â