Brad Guzan

R.Bear

Good luck to him.  Only crime was dropping in competence, never understood the hate he received, was a very good keeper for us for 2 years at least. In my opinion anyway. Good for him to go, but hope he does well and enjoys a fresh environment.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, omariqy said:

So we are letting a player go for free? Are people happy now?

Anything to get them off the books I think. Sale, free transfer or paying off contracts so if Guzan is going yes I'm happy, it matters not to me how he goes 

• Like 2

Nice guy, tried his hardest, had a couple of excellent seasons but tailed off horribly towards the end. Always celebrating winning games like trophies which I loved. I cant understand how any Villa fan could have a bad word to say about him.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

The head-clashing was about paying out to cancel contracts, I think, rather than free transfers.

Yep, this is different.

This will be a mutual agreement to let him go for no fee. The key thing being he wants to move.

It's much different than paying off a player's contract to leave. If a player doesn't want to leave then we;d have to pay off his entire contract.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villa89 said:

I thought we might be able to get a fee for him but obviously someone has seen him play, or at least try to. Delighted to get rid of him though, terrible 'keeper.

I don't think he was that terrible, he had a couple of really good season's under Lambert (didn't he get POTS one year as well?) Unfortunately he wasn't able to sustain that kind of form, he declined to the point where he was becoming a liability. He's stagnated and desperately needs a move.

As I said, I'm just shocked we can't get anything for him especially in an age when arguably worse players have been sold for significant fee's, he's surely worth £1m-£2m? It just feels like we've had our pants taken down releasing him on a free.

Cost us a nominal fee, joined, did okay in his first couple of seasons, left on free, rejoined on a free, did well for 2/3 seasons (very well in 1.5 of them), then made a few confidence defining mistakes and has looked uncomfortable for 2 seasons.

Still a better keeper than Sorenson, Enkleman etc, on a par or just a little better than Given, just not as good as Friedel (apart from Penalties!) :) 

Good Luck Goose! It's been a pleasure.

• Like 1

Â