Brad Guzan

R.Bear

You can't try such a risky pass along your goal line and then blame the pass back.

He had time to take a touch and still play it square. Any doubts and his foot should have gone through it.

Just goes to show, it doesn't matter what level you play at, schoolboy errors can still occur. I bet he won't do that again in his career.

No real blame on Guzan. he's been superb for us for a few seasons now (and he's needed to be)

Never thought I'd see the day when I would be hoping for The Guze to be dropped.

Some OTT posts in here about how long he's been poor though, was fairly decent prior to the turn of the year IIRC.

Like many have said, Given 'til the end of the year then Guzan again next year - has to be done.

According to John Percy.. Guzan was nearly dropped today.

Wonder if Given will play next week?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/aston-villa/11562993/Tim-Sherwood-considers-dropping-Brad-Guzan-and-playing-Shay-Given-at-Manchester-City.html

Shay Given could make an emotional return to former club Manchester City today with his first Premier League start for nearly three years.

Tim Sherwood, the Aston Villa manager, is considering dropping Brad Guzan and keeping faith with Given for the visit to the Etihad Stadium.
Given has played in all of Villa’s cup games this season, including Sunday’s FA Cup semi-final victory over Liverpool, but has been on the bench in the league, with Guzan an ever-present for the club’s 33 matches.
The 39-year-old has not played a top-flight game since Villa’s 3-1 defeat to Everton in August 2012 and was sent out on loan to Middlesbrough last season.
But Sherwood has been impressed with the Republic of Ireland international’s performances and attitude and is weighing up whether to make Given his first-choice goalkeeper for Villa’s run-in.
He said: “It’s a good selection dilemma and a great problem to have to be honest, I haven’t had too many of them.
“He trains fantastically well and he’s pushing Brad all the way for that No 1 spot. We are blessed with two good goalkeepers at the club.
“I have known Shay since he was at Blackburn. His dedication and professionalism is always top drawer.”

It would be ironic if Given was to play against City and face Joe Hart, whose emergence led to his departure in July 2011.
Given made 69 appearances for City but lost his place to the England international before the start of the 2010-11 campaign, making only four appearances that season. The former Newcastle keeper has already been told he will definitely start the FA Cup Final at Wembley on May 30.
Sherwood has already shown he is not afraid to make bold decisions since his appointment, after giving teenager Jack Grealish his first league start for Villa earlier this month.
Grealish will be in the squad that faces City, after apologising for being pictured inhaling nitrous oxide, with Sherwood desperate for points.
Sherwood has guided Villa to the FA Cup Final but has warned his squad to avoid the grisly scenario of matching Wigan’s achievements two years ago.
Wigan reached the final, and subsequently beat Manchester City, but were relegated to the Championship weeks later and Villa remain only four points above the bottom three.
“We’ve got to try and avoid it and Wigan is good to use as an example. It’s not what anyone enjoys (relegation). I certainly won’t be enjoying the trip to Wembley if we’re not a Premier League club. We realise that we’ve got a lot of hard work to do,” said Sherwood.
“We obviously want to win the FA Cup and nothing is going to get in the way of that, but at the same time we definitely need to be in the league.
“We use everything we can to warn them against complacency, but their motivation should be the fact that if they want to play in an FA Cup final they have got to prove their worth to me in the Premier League games remaining.
“If they don’t they won’t be selected. They’ll be no one saving themselves for the FA Cup final put it that way.

I said before the game that I wouldn't mind if Given had kept his place. I understand why Sherwood chose to go with Guzan though.

Time for Given now. He's been very solid in the Cup.

School boy error is best way to describe it , should never pass along your own goal like that.Even if it had got to Okore the angle he kicked it at it would have left Okore under pressure.

• Like 1

If Sherwood was having doubts before the game then the opportunity is there now to start Given next week and give him more minutes before the cup final.

A very brave call at this stage of the season though to change the starting goalkeeper.

Was he trying to pass it? I thought he'd just mishit the clearance as it rolled across him. Haven't seen it again since it happened, though, and same result either way, I guess, but if he was trying to pass to Okore... why?!

Possibly being harsh but to the book stop with guzan for second goal aswel, as it is keepers job to set the wall and Richardson was in wrong spot from min go , for me guzan has been a liability for a while and this was gonna happen eventually

I agree. As much as I love Brad and thank him for his general level of the last two and a half years...his distribution has always been one of his biggest weaknesses, he just looks awkward when he recieves and kicks the ball.

That's why no bigger clubs will sign him as the likes of De Gea, Courtis, Lloris, the elite, are excellent with the ball when it's played back.

Anybody got a link to the video?

I posted a while back that I felt Guzan was one of the best in the league. Just want to say I was wrong. I have seen many silly mistakes from him since. He's not good enough to be in a team which relies on being good on the ball and to play attacking football. He wasn't bad when we were under the cosh, as (maybe) he had less time to think and just had to react. Hands up, I was wrong.

Vlaar is blameless for me. not a great idea but Guzan had the whole pitch to kick at and he found Aguero. knock it out for a throw if your worried

But he wasn't worried. He knew he had the option to kick it out for a throw in. It's fine saying that now. I'm sure he has thought about how easy it would have been to just kick it out for a corner. It would have been so easy for him to do it, I reckon he thinks he could almost go back in time and do it. Vlaar is not blameless. He passed to Guzan for absolutely no reason. And Guzan thought. Well if Vlaar doesn't want it back again I guess I'll just give it to Bacuna. I reckon he was a bit pissed off at Vlaar and that anger caused him to fluff his kick. That was my reading of it anyway. 

I'm not sure he should be dropped for the next game. It's a very tough call. What other mistakes has he made this season? I think Sherwood may drop him and then this summer it's a chance for Guzan to win his place back. Guzan might well need a breather. Maybe the easier decision would be to just leave him in for the rest of the season. The more controversial one is to bring in Given. Both have risks, and in the end I shouldn't think it'll make a massive difference. Both are premier league quality goalkeepers

• Like 1

I think Given has to start next week. Guzan has been really ordinary the past few months. That mistake in the first few minutes is one of the worst mistakes i've ever seen by a keeper. I

Â