Brad Guzan

R.Bear

Only his distribution is in question - and that's an easy fix: When it's passed back, hoof it.

I'm a Guzan fan and think a lot of the negative comments on his ability are way over the top. Though when it comes to distribution, is it really an easy fix?

I'd imagine and hope being a professional, he is working on trying to improve every day but it's just not showing. Whether it's bad short balls or long balls going out of play it has happened an awful lot this season.

guzan has hit the level,he wont improve,he is what he is,

for the run in i think tim will give shay the shirt,proven & steady.

at this stage villa can not have a stopper who did what he did at city & tim knows it,

i would say guzan is in the bottom 4-5 keepers in the Premier League & this will need addressing in the summer. ITWT

I like Guzan and have always rated him but he hasn't given me much to go by this season. Given, based on his age, should be let go at the end of the season and I'd really like a good keeper signed who will realistically compete for a starting place, rather than just be content to sit on the bench, 

Do not understand the logic here at all.

Personally I don't rate Given that highly, he really doesn't have any command of his area, especially from crosses and set pieces, his default move is to just stand on his line, on top of that, at his age, he's certainly had better days, so really for me I'd like him to be moved on. 

Guzan can stick around but I'd rather have more viable competition for him, someone who will really push him for that starting place and will likely be around here for the long term. 

Comprende?

I'd like to see us sign Schmeichel from Leicester, beast of a goalie and hopefully we will be in a better position than them after this season to maybe offer him a step up.

Edited by Bunnski

It would be good to remember Guzan has pretty much kept us in the league the last 2 or so seasons. Give him a break

This is an oft-repeated perception but he didn't keep us up last season. He had one great season. One.

Yes this season he hasn't been up to his usual standards. Sherwood needs to review the situation at the end of the season and maybe bring a new keeper in. For now its a toss up between Guzan and Givem. Maybe Guzan needs a bit of time outside the firing line. No time for passengers. 

Usual reactionary stuff from VT.

Poor game. He's still a top keeper. We'd be mad to get rid of him

This - He's a very good keeper and we're lucky to have him. 

He has been ropey this season and cost goals

Usual reactionary stuff from VT.

Poor game. He's still a top keeper. We'd be mad to get rid of him

This - He's a very good keeper and we're lucky to have him. 

He has been ropey this season and cost goals

Every keeper makes mistakes - they're human. He's also, quite literally, saved us a lot of points too.

I don't think he has been generally "ropey" but he has lost form at a crucial time. No room for sentimentality in our position.

However, should we stick with him, which I believe we will, I've no doubt he will do his best to recapture that form. That will have been one hell of a shock to the system.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

If he gets dropped this weekend, I assume Given will start the other 3 league games unless he starts throwing them in himself.

In that case....who starts the cup final? The answer was obviously going to be Given but didn't Sherwood say before the cup semi the number 2 keeper gets cup games whoever it is so with roles reversed would Brad start instead?

Maybe Guzan has been affected by the news that Given is going to start in the cup final? Could be very disappointed and that resulted in a lack of confidence?

Or maybe he is human and he makes mistakes like everyone? Yes Guzan has let in a few more soft goals this season and he had one match where he was really awful due to his errors, but I wouldn't read much into it. Everyone has a bad day once in a while. The soft goals he has let in this season could just have been down to bad luck. What I am saying is we don't know. 

• Like 1

People need to remember that we probably wouldn't have been playing against Man City last week if it wasn't for Guzan's performances in the last couple of seasons - it might have been Rotherham or Millwall.

His mistake was hopefully a one-off and treated as such. But, he's certainly offered Sherwood the chance to change the keeper for the remainder of the season, at least.

He has made 4 errors leading to goals this season, only Rob Green has made more.  He has also let some easy shots past him this season, most recently Hererra's first goal for Utd.  His kicking is terrible and he hands the opposition back possession too often by kicking it out for throw ins.  I love him and he feels like one of our own but he has been average at best this season which isn't good enough. 

• Like 1

Â