Brad Guzan

R.Bear

Guzan is great at............letting in goals! A solid but unspectacular keeper who's vastly overrated. You have to do the spectacular when you are a keeper. We'd be better off with Given at least his confidence isn't shot Guzan's has taken a battering over the years and any non-standard save is beyond him.

Utter nonsense.

Almost as nonsensical as claiming he is "too good for us".

I'm not sure what 'too good for us' means. If it means he's good enough to be playing in a lower-midtable side rather than fighting relegation, then I agree, but then I also think similar cases could be made for Hutton, Clark, Vlaar, Delph, Cleverley, Sinclair and Benteke at least. 

If what's meant is that he should be playing for a top ten team, I think that's just not true. Courtois / Ospina / De Gea / Hart / Mignolet / Lloris / Forster / Fabianski / Adrian / Begovic. Out of those, which is he actually better than? Who would he knock out of the team?

I suppose time will tell. Goalkeepers don't move often, but they do move sometimes. Both Mignolet and Vorm were starting keepers who moved in the last two summer windows. If Guzan really is much better than the team, someone will come knocking sooner or later. 

Guzan is great at............letting in goals! A solid but unspectacular keeper who's vastly overrated. You have to do the spectacular when you are a keeper. We'd be better off with Given at least his confidence isn't shot Guzan's has taken a battering over the years and any non-standard save is beyond him.

Utter nonsense.

I'm not sure what 'too good for us' means. If it means he's good enough to be playing in a lower-midtable side rather than fighting relegation, then I agree, but then I also think similar cases could be made for Hutton, Clark, Vlaar, Delph, Cleverley, Sinclair and Benteke at least. 

If what's meant is that he should be playing for a top ten team, I think that's just not true. Courtois / Ospina / De Gea / Hart / Mignolet / Lloris / Forster / Fabianski / Adrian / Begovic. Out of those, which is he actually better than? Who would he knock out of the team?

I suppose time will tell. Goalkeepers don't move often, but they do move sometimes. Both Mignolet and Vorm were starting keepers who moved in the last two summer windows. If Guzan really is much better than the team, someone will come knocking sooner or later. 

Exactly that. If guzan left in the summer he'd join a team better than us. That's what I meant.

he's better than Adrian, Mignolet, Begovic (the most overrated goalkeeper in the league) and Fabianski. I'd argue he's better than Forster but I'd accept the opposing opinion as there's not much in it. I haven't really seen enough of Ospina to judge properly.

People calling for him to be replaced by Given are in dreamworld

Utter nonsense.

Respect other peoples opinions. Even if they dare to differ from yours. 

I totally respect that opinion and his right to hold it.

It's just MY opinion that it's total bollocks.

Edited by Stevo985

Utter nonsense.

Exactly that. If guzan left in the summer he'd join a team better than us. That's what I meant.

he's better than Adrian, Mignolet, Begovic (the most overrated goalkeeper in the league) and Fabianski. I'd argue he's better than Forster but I'd accept the opposing opinion as there's not much in it. I haven't really seen enough of Ospina to judge properly.

Utter nonsense.

Respect other peoples opinions. Even if they dare to differ from yours. 

I totally respect that opinion and his right to hold it.

It's just MY opinion that it's total bollocks.

Oh dear  :(

Utter nonsense.

I could agree that he's better than Begovic, who has gone backwards a lot over the last 18 months or so. He's definitely not better than Adrian in my opinion - Adrian is a better shot-stopper from what I've seen, and is much much much better at facing penalties. Mignolet has had a poor season, but has been getting back to form over the last few months and is now comfortably better again IMO. 

So overall, I would agree that he's better than the starting keeper at the team in 10th place. I don't think he's 'too good for us', and I do believe that at least buying some genuine competition for him is essential. I still think we could actually improve on him, but I'm prepared to accept that's more debatable. 

It's all opinions but there's no way Mignolet is better. Absolutely no way.

Adrian might be a better shot stopper but there's much more to it than that. Penalties are such a rare event that they're almost irrelevant.

Friedel couldn't save a penalty to save his life but he's still one of the best goalkeepers we've had in the premier League, for example.

Anyway, my main point was if he left us he'd get snapped up by somebody better than us.

I think at his best Howard is better. But he's so inconsistent these days that I wouldn't swap Guzan for him.

Howard reminds me of Reina in his last season for Liverpool. Obviously a very good goalkeeper but seems to make shocking mistakes every time I watch him

Edited by Stevo985

Stating he is too good for us implies two things. Firstly that he is one of our best players, of which he hasn't been for a while. And secondly, as you elude to at the end of your post, that significantly better clubs will go out of their way to sign him. I have no doubt that this won't happen either based on the last 12 months plus.

Migolet had a great season before the move including quite a few games where he single-handedly won points at times. Vorm was always a very decent all-round keeper, I remain perplexed that he agreed to become a No. 2. In comparison, Guzan is nothing more than mediocre now - there is no aspect of his game that stands out anymore.

agree that hes "too good for us". Top 10 keeper in league playing in a team which is fighting for relegation is how i would argue "too good for us".
Shame his distribution is wank though.

Vorm is not a very decent keeper. Spurs fans cry inside everytime they see him start.

Edited by gharperr

Guzan has not been great of late, his distribution has improved but his shot stopping seems to have got a lot worse. He does spectacular saves but gets nowhere near the shots you would think he 'could get to' fairly easily.

In the cup games Given looked really good, doesn't mean he'd be better than Guzan though.

Guzan is better than Mignolet by a mile, he has worse abilities on setpieces than Given, his footwork is dangerous and an average shotstopper. As for Howard yes he made a lot of saves in the World Cup but he also made a lot of errors in them games that went unpunished and at Everton they have started to be punished

agree that hes "too good for us". Top 10 keeper in league playing in a team which is fighting for relegation is how i would argue "too good for us".

Shame his distribution is wank though.

Vorm is not a very decent keeper. Spurs fans cry inside everytime they see him start.

Probably because he's not on the same level as Lloris. Still a good kepper though

The premier league's player performance index (for what it is worth) has Guzan as the 12th top keeper in the league this season which sounds roughly about right to me.

I'd say if he had a bit better back line in front of him, he'd be top 10. A lot of talk of him letting in more goals lately, but look at the shots he is up against. Most, if not all the goals he has conceded have been from inside the box, or really good shots. You can't expect a keeper to make saves against premier league players when they are shooting from 15ft away. 

Guzan made unbelievable saves over the last 2 seasons. He hasn't been that lucky this season, but that doesn't mean he is suddenly bad. He is still solid and typically makes the saves he needs to save. 

I don't necessarily disagree with what you say.

However, I think it can be useful to look at what a non-biased analysis comes up with.

Guzan IMO has been a good player for us but not I'm not as convinced about him as, say, I was this time last season.

About the 12th best keeper in the league sounds realistic and fairly accurate to me.

Edited by Brumstopdogs

Â