Brad Guzan

R.Bear

The rest of the team has to feel confident about their keeper as well, so I'd go with Given. It's a dicey time to start meddling with your GK situation, but today was the culmination of a fairly mediocre run of form from Guzan. Given is a wily veteran, we could do much worse for this run in.

Guzan has been ordinary, but we really need to stop passing it back to him. To me it even seems that we do it in order to avoid hoofing a long ball, which is just stupid. As if the manager had forbidden them from kicking it long. Is Vlaar still playing the "old way", I wonder?

Guzman was awful yesterday,just as a comparison down here in Swansea they signed Fabianski from Arsenal for a free last Summer (still had Vorm at the time) he has been fantastic this season a miles better keep than was ever seen at Arsenal and probably has earned the Swans a shedful of points this season by keeping them in games.A new No1 keeper should be a priority in the summer.

Guzman was awful yesterday,just as a comparison down here in Swansea they signed Fabianski from Arsenal for a free last Summer (still had Vorm at the time) he has been fantastic this season a miles better keep than was ever seen at Arsenal and probably has earned the Swans a shedful of points this season by keeping them in games.A new No1 keeper should be a priority in the summer.

Two international goalkeepers isn't enough?

Maybe when Given's contract expires we can go out and get a replacement to challenge or succeed Brad.

Think that could of been his last game, Sherwood was absolutely livid!

Given has shown fine form in the FA cup and has an association with Sherwood going back 20+ years. Unfortunately Guzan has presented his manager with an easy excuse to drop him in favour of a more than capable replacement. Giving Shay the final games of the league season could also help him to maintain his form for the final.

I still think Guzan is a fine keeper so even if he is dropped for the remaining few games of this season, I hope he comes bouncing back during pre-season ready to start fresh in August.

Two international goalkeepers isn't enough?

Maybe when Given's contract expires we can go out and get a replacement to challenge or succeed Brad.

That's fair comment and when keepers make a bad mistake it gets highlighted,however,there is absolutely no question that a quality keeper can earn points for his team,will be interesting to see how Sherwood reacts being as things are so tight at the wrong end of the table and in the transfer window..

Last season Guzan was excellent and key in keeping us up, this season he hasn't been very good and let in quite a few suspect goals IMO. Not a good season at all from him and this is the icing on the cake. 

I like Guzan and have always rated him but he hasn't given me much to go by this season. Given, based on his age, should be let go at the end of the season and I'd really like a good keeper signed who will realistically compete for a starting place, rather than just be content to sit on the bench, 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

I agree Matty-It was a horrendous decision & is multiplied many times over by the fact that it is a goalkeeping error. Sanchez plays similar balls every time he appears for us yet for some reason we accept this as "part of his game"

With Given likely to start at Wembley, it does make the decision to drop Guzan even easier,

He commands his area better than Given

He is one of the better keepers in the PL from corners and under the high ball

His shot stopping is top notch

Only his distribution is in question - and that's an easy fix: When it's passed back, hoof it.

• Like 2

I agree Matty-It was a horrendous decision & is multiplied many times over by the fact that it is a goalkeeping error. Sanchez plays similar balls every time he appears for us yet for some reason we accept this as "part of his game"

With Given likely to start at Wembley, it does make the decision to drop Guzan even easier,

Most don't accept it as "part of his game" thought do they? If they did you would not be making the comparison. 

Guzan has not been playing well for a while and he had a poor game again yesterday along with doing what is commonly known as "pulling a Richardson". He can have no complaints if he is dropped.

This is such typical VT black and white approach. When he was in good form some were touting him as the best in the league and now that he's dropped a clanger after a run of average/poor form people are saying that we should get rid.

Bizarre.

Still a top 10 goalkeeper for me. Made a few glaring mistakes this season but also makes enough top class saves to equal the f**k ups.

Desperately needs some competition. Given has been very good in the cup but who can say he could do it week in week out anymore.

Last season Guzan was excellent and key in keeping us up, this season he hasn't been very good and let in quite a few suspect goals IMO. Not a good season at all from him and this is the icing on the cake. 

I like Guzan and have always rated him but he hasn't given me much to go by this season. Given, based on his age, should be let go at the end of the season and I'd really like a good keeper signed who will realistically compete for a starting place, rather than just be content to sit on the bench, 

Given has one year left hasn't he?

If we 'let him go' we will either by paying up his contract or contributing a massive portion salary to get him a move. I would rather we just kept him around.

This is such typical VT black and white approach. When he was in good form some were touting him as the best in the league and now that he's dropped a clanger after a run of average/poor form people are saying that we should get rid.

Bizarre.

I stopped singing his praises a long time ago so you can exclude me from that.

Do not understand the logic here at all.

At all at all. It's almost anti logic. The moment Given and Guzan seem to be competing for the number one spot, you say we need exactly that. You have to have a keeper who is relatively content to sit on the bench. Otherwise it doesn't work. Unless you think the reverve goalie should fill in at left back to keep him happy. Given would obviously like to be playing, which is why he has been pushing Guzan with his performances in the cup and coming out of retirement for the Rep of Ireland. Short of hiding Guzan's gloves I'm not sure what else he could be doing.

Based on his age? What about based on his ability? To say that Given is too old to play for us is Football Manager thinking. Signing all these young players who will be great in 2020. Sacked by Christmas. We have Given for another year anyway, on big wages. And he looks to be still well able to do it, having overcome that injury that meant he was a total dud in the Euros for Ireland. Each season the players we have who can play at the level should be judged on their merits of that alone, and not of whether or not they'll be still around in 2 years. If that was the case we'd never play anyone over 28. We have a good goalkeeper in Given, and a good goalkeeper in Guzan. Guzan plays for us because he's not a great goalkeeper, and Given does so because he's proper old. I do understand the desire for a great goalkeeper, but they're hard to find, and can be quite expensive. 

Basically my point is that we have two goalkeepers who are about at our level at the moment competing for the number one spot and I wouldn't endorse any view that says that's a bad thing. Sherwood might bring in a goalkeeper of his own in the summer, but it'll be a low priority and he won't be breaking the bank to do it, when that money could be better spent elsewhere.

Â