Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

It shows there are just no decent Christmas songs made anymore. 

They tend to be just cover versions of classics, usually with a singer doing some completely necessary vocal scales that ruin it. 

Or something way too dance oriented and not Christmas orientated enough. 

Or something just complete dull usually with a singer doing some completely necessary vocal scales that ruin it.  

The skill of making a song that's Christmassy enough, got broad appeal across generations, is original and just catchy and entertaining seems to have completely disappeared. 

For me a hell of a lot of it (for most music,  not just Christmas) is the obsession with a singer doing some completely necessary vocal scales that ruin it.

Bieber made a great Christmas song but it just never really caught on for some reason. Really thought this would have a broad or at least young enough appeal to be big but apparently not.

18 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

The people who are actually responding [are] way too sensible 

FTFY. I imagine anyone with answers other than call the police are probably less likely to respond 😂

• Like 1

On 07/10/2021 at 19:43, mottaloo said:

Clonakilty white pud is supreme ! One of those items that you're more likely to find in a random corner or farm shop over here. The farm shop in mere green sells it for about £4 a link

Having white pudding for the first time today. Very good shout. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I know “Rockabye” by Clean Bandit.

I've heard *of* Clean Bandit, that's as far as it goes. "Rockabye" just makes me think - in my highbrow cultural snob way - of "Your Rockaby" by the contemporary classical composer Mark-Anthony Turnage. @Xann may be familiar with it. @The Authority may even have played it. 

21 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

What would you do if you was having a nice quiet walk on the beach one morning and you found kilos and kilos of washed up cocaine packages. No one about either . What would YOU do? 

I could probably shift it wholesale to some characters on the old estate but in all honesty I don't have a clue about value so would get mugged off meaning there's not much reward compared to the risk 

Bag of cash on the other hand... Yeah I'm having that, would chip away at it really slowly, not even sure if I'd tell the wife, I'd replace contact less purchases with it, £20 here and there so probably a few hundred a month not taken from my bank, that way no one would think I've suddenly come in to money and if it was funny money or marked I'd take my chances of saying I found a note and bought a meal deal with it 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Xela said:

The last 10 Christmas number 1's 

I'm wondering if I have heard a second of any of the songs - I genuinely don't think I have. Maybe the Sheeran song in the background somewhere. 

21 hours ago, mjmooney said:

What even is a 'single' these days? 

Who or what is LadBaby? 

Or am I better off in blissful ignorance? 

What do people do with whole cabbages? I’ve made a quarter for the dinner, the only vegetable we had in and that’s still too much, a quarter for kimchi, which is probably too much too fit in the jar, and I’ve still got another whole **** half left.

Where’s Bruce when you need him?

28 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

What do people do with whole cabbages? I’ve made a quarter for the dinner, the only vegetable we had in and that’s still too much, a quarter for kimchi, which is probably too much too fit in the jar, and I’ve still got another whole **** half left.

No more cabbage 😭

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Who or what is LadBaby? 

From my understanding, they are a couple who do silly songs for charity. You can't really knock them to be fair, they are doing good work. Never heard any of their songs though. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Who or what is LadBaby? 

Blissful ignorance is preferable.

However, if curiosity gets the better of you -

Spoiler

Imagine if you will a poor man’s Weird Al Yankovic from Nottingham and the song parodies largely centre on sausage rolls (“I love sausage rolls” to the tune of “I love Rock ‘n Roll” etc). 

The proceeds go to charity, which is obviously commendable. but he has received some criticism recently for using this as a vehicle to flog tie in merchandise, the profits of which supposedly doesn’t go to charity. I also think there’s a sense of this is the Christmas song choice for those who like Mrs Brown’s Boys. The “Oh come on, it’s a laugh.” type reasoning when someone says it’s a bit shit.

I was largely oblivious to him (and his wife who seemingly is quite prominent in promoting it). But I think he has gained a bit more traction this year for getting a record fourth consecutive Christmas number 1. I am hopeful next year I can go back to being unaware of his output.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

More kimchi

• Thanks 1

Â