Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

If you were to time travel into your younger body but retain your current memories, what is the youngest that you could go and make it work to your advantage without just going insane? Late 20s, early 20s, late teens, early teens or even younger? The further back you went the more you'd be able to play the future and (somehow) buy Microsoft shares in the 80s etc but Alanything less than about 18 (late 90s) I think I'd snap. 

Edited by Rds1983

3 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

If you were to time travel into your younger body but retain your current memories, what is the youngest that you could go and make it work to your advantage without just going insane? Late 20s, early 20s, late teens, early teens or even younger? The further back you went the more you'd be able to play the future and (somehow) buy Microsoft shares in the 80s etc but Alanything less than about 18 (late 90s) I think I'd snap. 

I’ve had many ‘sliding door’ moments in my life. 

the main one is, in my teens I lived in Cyprus but my sister remained in the Uk at University. We’d been there for around 18 months and my sister began to miss not having family to hand so my parents put the decision to return to the Uk in my court… it was my decision! 

of course I decided to return for my sister’s sake, despite having a great time in Cyprus where even school was decent.

I returned at 15yrs old, in the middle of GCSEs and the school I went back to wouldn’t accept any grading/coursework I’d done abroad and couldn’t put my in any subjects I’d been learning. 

I was shoehorned into History, German, Combined science, remedial maths and needlework lessons with 9 months before exams and no coursework to bolster results. 

I got out as quick as I could and ended up in an apprenticeship with a handful of GCSEs (I later went to night school and retook maths, English and added psychology)

however, I do wonder how different my life would be now if I was selfish and decided to stay in the sun!  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, theboyangel said:

I’ve had many ‘sliding door’ moments in my life. 

the main one is, in my teens I lived in Cyprus but my sister remained in the Uk at University. We’d been there for around 18 months and my sister began to miss not having family to hand so my parents put the decision to return to the Uk in my court… it was my decision! 

of course I decided to return for my sister’s sake, despite having a great time in Cyprus where even school was decent.

I returned at 15yrs old, in the middle of GCSEs and the school I went back to wouldn’t accept any grading/coursework I’d done abroad and couldn’t put my in any subjects I’d been learning. 

I was shoehorned into History, German, Combined science, remedial maths and needlework lessons with 9 months before exams and no coursework to bolster results. 

I got out as quick as I could and ended up in an apprenticeship with a handful of GCSEs (I later went to night school and retook maths, English and added psychology)

however, I do wonder how different my life would be now if I was selfish and decided to stay in the sun!  

I lived in the West Indies, we moved there in 1981 and that was going to be home, till my dad got into a fight and we were deported. I wonder how life might have been, probably would have liked Reggae. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Seat68 said:

I lived in the West Indies, we moved there in 1981 and that was going to be home, till my dad got into a fight and we were deported. I wonder how life might have been, probably would have liked Reggae. 

giphy.gif?cid=5e2148862kslwliggvtj1yj6ys

unconfirmed footage of a young @Seat68 anxiously waiting for the latest UB40 album to hit the streets of Jamaica! 😅

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

I'd probably go back to when i was 16yo and left school. I had no idea what I wanted to do, as i'm sure 95% of 16yo's don't. I'd like to be in a position to definitively choose a career at that point, knowing what I do now. I'd have to have a think but something like a train driver or air traffic controller or pilot. If you put the effort in at 16yo to having a career like that, you'd have a good life now. 

I fell into banking at 22, and twenty years later, I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up! ;) 

I would also travel more when I was younger and perhaps live abroad for a while. You never know when you won't be able to do it because of failing heath or a global pandemic! 

On 30/12/2021 at 19:53, mjmooney said:

Has anybody ever completed one of those partwork magazine model kits? 

Currently being TV advertised: build your own Titanic. First issue £1.99, thereafter £9.99. 140 issues. So, nearly £1,400 to complete. 

For comparison: Airfix kit of the Titanic - 47 quid. 

One for the TTCYU thread but I always get a kick out of doing the quick mental arithmetic when watching those ads to work out the cost of completing it, with it's alluring £1.99 first issue :)  Always more than a grand and sometimes a lot more.

I'd go back to 1984 with a hover board and have them all tell me "That's totally shit, it's just a skateboard with a motor, are you seriously telling me that in 38 years that crap is really the best they can come up with?“

• Haha 1

I gave up playing cricket in my early teens for some reason when I was possibly the best batsman of my age, probably because just wanted to play playstation instead of going to practice sadly.

Imagine I could be the pride of England now instead, out there in Australia getting a king pair at the top of the order like a true national hero.

• Like 3

I think I have mused this before, but I always wonder, if at the age if 16, if I'd really put my focus into a more niche sport (say crown green bowls), whether i could have become the best in the country. 

Everyone wants to play football or cricket or rugby, but bowls? Crown green or lawn! I could've been a contender!

Or maybe Darts... Gerwyn Price used to a be a rugby player, took up darts late and now earns millions. Darts is just practice surely? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Do Gregg Evans and the other “Villa” journos read VT? I’ve decided to start dropping random made up facts into the On Topic threads to see if they pop up in podcasts and articles.

For sure around the time that Krulak was "engaging" with the fans 🤦‍♂️

But almost certainly they still do IMO. especially as VT is probably the biggest Villa forum? They engage with fans on Twatter all the time so it's not surprising that they're lurking around here. I see you Kendrick!

5 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

What age is the youngest kid that could beat me up?

I’m pretty sure the hardest 14 year old in the world would pulverise me, but I’m fairly confident I could beat up every 4 year old

Is it 11? Could a strong 11 year old teach me a lesson?

All at once? 

Remind me never to ask you to babysit. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Xela said:

I think I have mused this before, but I always wonder, if at the age if 16, if I'd really put my focus into a more niche sport (say crown green bowls), whether i could have become the best in the country. 

Everyone wants to play football or cricket or rugby, but bowls? Crown green or lawn! I could've been a contender!

Or maybe Darts... Gerwyn Price used to a be a rugby player, took up darts late and now earns millions. Darts is just practice surely? 

Annoyingly I think you’re born with amazing strength, speed, fitness, spatial awareness and / or hand-eye coordination, and that’s what determines the level you can reach.

Some sports like darts or snooker have fewer participants and only require one of those (hand eye coordination) so are a bit more attainable, but still the elite players are incredibly genetically gifted.

Malcolm Gladwell popularised the 10,000 hours thing, but it’s bullshit.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Xela said:

One of my old colleagues represented England in petanque as did her husband. 

The number of players is so small there was little competition she told me.   

7 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

I’m pretty sure the hardest 14 year old in the world would pulverise me, but I’m fairly confident I could beat up every 4 year old. 

There is only one way to find out 

tenor.gif

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

I’m pretty sure the hardest 14 year old in the world would pulverise me, but I’m fairly confident I could beat up every 4 year old. 

Depends how cheeky they are to you. I'm quite confident I could beat up any kid if he was cheeky enough, like took the piss, proper winds me up. I remember reaction head butting a 16 year old kid when I was about 30, for continuing to try and chat my then gf up. It was a bit of a laugh at first, but then when I told him to chill, he grabbed me by the scruff of the neck and said "do you know me",, in front of his mates, He was supposed to be a bit tasty. 😂

• Like 3

Â