Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

16 hours ago, Xela said:

I think I have mused this before, but I always wonder, if at the age if 16, if I'd really put my focus into a more niche sport (say crown green bowls), whether i could have become the best in the country. 

Everyone wants to play football or cricket or rugby, but bowls? Crown green or lawn! I could've been a contender!

Or maybe Darts... Gerwyn Price used to a be a rugby player, took up darts late and now earns millions. Darts is just practice surely? 

One of my mates is an international sportsman and captained his country of 300m+ people to a World Cup. He was mobbed for his autograph and had young ladies begging him for selfies. 

This sounds impressive until you realise he captained the USA to the Bandy World Cup.

A sport only played in Scandinavia/Russia with only 8 teams (I think?) in the World Cup and there's only 2000 odd Bandy players in the USA. 

Choose the right sport and you can do well. 

Edited by Rds1983
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

What age is the youngest kid that could beat me up?

I’m pretty sure the hardest 14 year old in the world would pulverise me, but I’m fairly confident I could beat up every 4 year old. 

Is it 11? Could a strong 11 year old teach me a lesson?

I have a friend who does MMA training and there is a 13 year old girl there who supposedly has a bit of a future who I’m sure without a shadow of a doubt would absolutely murder me. I’ve only ever been in one fight before HRT anyway and it did NOT go well for me so I’m pretty sure my number is in the single digits 😂

Edited by Eidolon
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Xela said:

I think I have mused this before, but I always wonder, if at the age if 16, if I'd really put my focus into a more niche sport (say crown green bowls), whether i could have become the best in the country. 

Everyone wants to play football or cricket or rugby, but bowls? Crown green or lawn! I could've been a contender!

Or maybe Darts... Gerwyn Price used to a be a rugby player, took up darts late and now earns millions. Darts is just practice surely? 

I used to joke with a colleague that I was gonna join a bowls club and try and get to the commonwealth games. I thought, how difficult can it be?

I couldn’t be arsed though.

1 hour ago, Phil Silvers said:

Yeah I like choc+peanut flavour, used to enjoy a Marathon.bar, too bad they stopped making them.

Eh? You can still get them (albeit rebadged as Snickers). 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

What age is the youngest kid that could beat me up?

I’m pretty sure the hardest 14 year old in the world would pulverise me, but I’m fairly confident I could beat up every 4 year old. 

Is it 11? Could a strong 11 year old teach me a lesson?

You should be able to batter a 11yo. I did*

*when I was 14 or 15

• Like 1

Actually its something like the above that started me boxing.

I went with a friend to his training and the trainer asked me if I was interested in learning how to box.I said I wasnt so he asked if he could show me something.

He got me to hold a chshion type thing in front of me Boxers use it to punch )And he got an 11yo kid to punch it and he knocked me back,so I said I wasnt quite ready and this time I put one foot behind me so the kid would find hitting me was like hitting a rock.

To cut a long story short,the kid knocked me back again and I took up boxing.

Do all these serial killer and murder investigation docuseries on the streaming services inspire copycats?

I felt like there was a realisation in the 90s / 2000s that fetishising serial killers and giving them nicknames was a dangerous thing to do, and the news media had generally become more responsible.

But we seem to have gone back to treating them like celebrities. Isn’t it a bit sick?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

Do all these serial killer and murder investigation docuseries on the streaming services inspire copycats?

I felt like there was a realisation in the 90s / 2000s that fetishising serial killers and giving them nicknames was a dangerous thing to do, and the news media had generally become more responsible.

But we seem to have gone back to treating them like celebrities. Isn’t it a bit sick?

i think the latest one i watched, times square killer, mentions it, the peak was late 70s early 80s but im not sure why, im guessing better policing, technology and the increase in profiling has helped stop it

are there many serial killers any more or has the trend moved on to mass shootings? cant really remember the last one

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

Any documentary containing the words serial and killer is an instant pass from me.

It really does baffle me why people are even interested

I'll watch a procedural drama on the hunt for a serial killer (if its good) but a documentary? nope not interested.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

i think the latest one i watched, times square killer, mentions it, the peak was late 70s early 80s but im not sure why, im guessing better policing, technology and the increase in profiling has helped stop it

are there many serial killers any more or has the trend moved on to mass shootings? cant really remember the last one

There are still serial killers, they just usually get caught after their first or second murder nowadays. That guy who murdered Sarah Everard would definitely have been a serial killer.

The notorious serial killers of the 70s and 80s would have been caught much earlier with modern policing techniques. And even with old policing techniques, it was often rank incompetence that allowed some of the most infamous serial killers to get away with it for so long... the Yorkshire Ripper being a classic example.

The media love to portray serial killers as geniuses who outfox the police, but usually they are quite stupid men with delusions of grandeur who fluke their way out of being caught.

Last one that sticks out in the UK is that man in Suffolk who strangled prostitutes.

But I think in the US they still have them. There was a man called Kenyel Brown active in the last couple of years. Guess it's easier in a more rural country where you can access guns so easily.

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 2

last one i can remember is the guys who were shooting people through the key hole of their car boot with a sniper rifle

that kind of thing seems so doable in america

and the summer of sam / zodiac killings, just random shootings in the street with no pattern, thing is in america who knows if it is happening?

Â