Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Do geese shit when they fly?

Our house is on a major geese flightpath, never any shit falling from the sky. If I wash my car, seagulls and pigeons will shit on it in seconds

Mine too. Birds being smart, dump excess weight pretty much on take off, so the gooses that fly over our houses did their pooses well before, but the gulls and pigeons take off from trees and roofses in the immediate vicinity. Thus they drop pooses on your car.

Science, see

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I see Bradford Bulls rugby league club have a women's team. So why aren't they called the Bradford Cows? 

Excellent point.   You should submit that suggestion.

And then run as fast as you can.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

"We used to leave our doors unlocked around here"

Was it because?

1: Things were fundamentally safer and society wasn't criminal and violent

2. The Krays wouldn't hurt their own and somehow you had protection in your neighborhood

3. Nothing to steal from your shit-hole, working class house so why would anyone bother?

4. Actually, society is pretty safe/benign and the scary stories are just told for various different reasons

Now reading between the lines and having not been the victim of a serious crime in the last decade my post seems to prejudices #4 - but would love input form my fellow VT'ers.

19 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Was it because?

2. The Krays wouldn't hurt their own and somehow you had protection in your neighborhood

3. Nothing to steal from your shit-hole, working class house so why would anyone bother?

4. Actually, society is pretty safe/benign and the scary stories are just told for various different reasons

Now reading between the lines and having not been the victim of a serious crime in the last decade my post seems to prejudices #4 - but would love input form my fellow VT'ers.

When I was a kid a local ne'er do well broke into our house and stole a few things. He later apologised to my dad in a pub. My dad obviously was a gentle soul and accepted his apology, later that evening to show no hard feelings my father headbutted him and pummeled the shit out of him. 

To answer the question, what I suppose made us a target was that we were early adopters of the video recorder and therefore option 3. 

• Haha 4

56 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Was it because?

Its because the wind would blow the sodding thing open if it wasnt locked

This is a reflection on the wind outside our house not the door. If you drew a straight line from our front door, the first land you'd hit would either be the Isle of Man or Greenland. There's a close opposite our house, it has a gap in the houses, the close further funnels the wind, right at our house.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheAuthority said:

Was it because?

I'd argue that there are still plenty of those communities where you could leave your doors unlocked.

The difference is communities change. As cities grow populations move outwards. In general the inner city areas are the poorest (and usually have most crime) and as you move outwards areas get more affluent and "better". But as cities grow those areas more towards the centre get larger and swallow up communities slightly further out.

So is society more criminal and violent? Probably not. Is the community where someone is saying your quote more criminal and violent? Quite possibly

• Like 1

On 04/12/2021 at 19:49, sidcow said:

Why are there multiple national chains of Burger restaurants, but not a single one for Hot Dogs? I'd love a quality hot dog restaurant chain, I'd probably prefer it to burgers. 

Maybe the difficulty to cook them quickly? 

As an aside who remembers all the American style hot dog vendors that used to have stands in Brum years ago? 

there's herman ze german in grand central but they're obviously not american style hot dogs

you would think that it would be a good business due to the sausage and the bun being cheap, i've thought before about a subway style set up, not messing about with 7 types of bread but the toppings, you pick your size then there are various toppings in bain maries so you can do hot and cold and then the sauces, £1 for a small dog, £2 for a big, £1 for warm toppings, 50p for cold something like that, people wouldnt stop at one

ikea is the only real place ive seen anything like that but you do the toppings yourself

id also love to visit these guys JAPADOG - Menu 

1 hour ago, TheAuthority said:

Was it because?

because construction in general moved on to yale locks

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

You had doors? Luxury. 

Well, when I say doors, they were actually just bits of scrap paper covering gaps in the grass thatch and attached on one side with celo tape.  But they were doors to us.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

Well, when I say doors, they were actually just bits of scrap paper covering gaps in the grass thatch and attached on one side with celo tape.  But they were doors to us.

...is the right answer. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

Bits of scrap paper? Luxury, I used to DREAM of bits of scrap paper. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Why the **** my missus keeps leaving the heating on for the dogs whilst out, and also why she thinks they like listening to classical or radio 2 on the Alexa, again whilst nobody is in the house. Truly baffling .

I dont know if this answers your question but our cat feels the cold and quite often she is cold when the Mrs and I are not,so we bought a small 1 bar heater especially for her.Now when she is cold and we are not.We place her heater at the end of the hall so she can be warm on days/nights when we are allright.

• Like 1

Â