Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

I think zoos are a bit boring. Took my kid to Dudley last year, like me she’s not really that bothered about animals (I’ll occasionally watch an Attenborough doc, but seeing them in real life, meh). Managed to stay for 3-4 hours, but the rides and park bit helped with that.

If the zoo’s existence means that certain species are saved from oblivion then that’s a pretty big plus in their favour. But on a personal level I wouldn’t massively care if zoos ceased to exist.

Those smaller scale, farm zoo things, the ones with pygmy goats and the like are probably less problematic, but I can’t say I’ve given it much thought or read about it to say for certain.

I think I’ve always been a bit indifferent  with animals. I have this memory of being at a circus as a kid and thinking “this is boring AND rubbish, why are we here?”.

13 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I haven't been to Dudley Zoo for decades.  I remember them keeping an Orca in a pool that's now consider too small for seals.  

Jesus. I've just been reading up on that, I had no idea.  Within my lifetime as well.  It looks like the tank was shockingly small, and I see the poor creature died there after 3 years.  No surprise 😢

Why does harp music play when there’s a flashback sequence or someone wistfully recalling the past? 

Truth be told, outside of knowing pastiches of that trope, I can’t recall any legitimate uses of it. But it is a trope I think people instantly recognise. So where’s it come from and why the harp? Because it sounds “heavenly”?

4 minutes ago, Robtaylor200 said:

My name is Robert why do some older people call me Bob (my name isn't Bobert)

William --- Bill ?

Richard ---Dick ? 

Apparently people liked to rhyme names in the middle ages. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Robtaylor200 said:

My name is Robert why do some older people call me Bob (my name isn't Bobert)

William --- Bill ?

Richard ---Dick ? 

There are lots of other examples (admittedly mostly out of fashion these days). 

John - Jack 

Henry - Hal 

James - Jim 

Margaret - Peggy 

Helen - Nellie 

etc. 

Sometimes I will feel the wind in my hair and see it also blowing leaves on trees in the distant, and think to myself 'the same force that's interacting with me is also having it's affect on objects hundreds of yards away, the wind must be pretty big, I wonder what it looks like'.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, useless said:

Sometimes I will feel the wind in my hair and see it also blowing leaves on trees in the distant, and think to myself 'the same force that's interacting with me is also having it's affect on objects hundreds of yards away, the wind must be pretty big, I wonder what it looks like'.

41305716-vector-illustration-of-a-cartoo

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Robtaylor200 said:

My mom believe it or not Is

Elizabeth Taylor 92 years young (friends that she has left call her Betty) 

My mother was Elizabeth Taylor too (Sadly passed many years ago) but she went by her middle name and never Elizabeth

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, limpid said:

Was this thread:

General Conspiracy Theory Dump Store

supposed to be called:

General Conspiracy Theory Dumpster

Let's keep things British, please. 

General Conspiracy Theory Skip. 

This happened yesterday. 

You know when a single orange or lemon in a bag goes bad and REALLY stinks and develops a powdery green mould on it. 

I always wonder why that particular one went off, and how it happens so quickly.  Seems to go from nothing to rancid in just a few hours. 

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

This happened yesterday. 

You know when a single orange or lemon in a bag goes bad and REALLY stinks and develops a powdery green mould on it. 

I always wonder why that particular one went off, and how it happens so quickly.  Seems to go from nothing to rancid in just a few hours. 

Citrus aids

• Haha 3

On 28/11/2020 at 12:39, HanoiVillan said:

How is it not illegal to keep whales in captivity? Like, at all?

Supposedly whales in captivity sleep with one eye open :(

In the ocean they sleep 'standing up!'

338aChqLSq6qukJNQxhzx9.jpg

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/photography/proof/2017/07/sperm-whales-nap-sleeping-photography-spd/

• Like 1

Â