Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

On 23/10/2020 at 16:43, HanoiVillan said:

81VUInjC5yL._AC_SY445_.jpg

hth

I think it's amazing that even though they lived millions of years ago, we know what they were called.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, A'Villan said:

That's why businesses today practice the teachings found in writings by ancients, like Miyamoto Musashi the samurai, or Sun Tzu the ancient Chinese general

In the fantasies of management theorists. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

In the fantasies of management theorists. 

I'll be honest I'm not sure I'm grasping your message as it's intended.

It kind of irks me that business is envisioned through the eyes of combat and warfare philosophy.

I liked the post because one of the best responses to someone projecting a misled interpretation onto someone else I've heard is..

"That's your fantasy, not mine"

I studied management theory for my MSc. All that Sun Tzu stuff. Utter twaddle. The entire pseudo-discipline is one that I despise (almost as much as universities having departments dedicated to theology). 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I studied management theory for my MSc. All that Sun Tzu stuff. Utter twaddle. The entire pseudo-discipline is one that I despise (almost as much as universities having departments dedicated to theology). 

Well I'll be. Theories about best practice for management strategy as a science subject?

Not that I assume to know your reasoning, but I don't really blame you for being disinterested by it all, it's hardly a guide to leading a fulfilling and meaningful existence.

That said, it's not really a pseudo discipline, his rules and instructions are fairly sound in holding true to their purpose. Rules for warfare and engaging enemies.

Obviously they are not all encompassing and can't cover all strategies to adopt and pitfalls to avoid, they are merely his musings on how one can navigate conflict.

I've personally never held Sun Tzu in as high esteem as he's given by many people who've read his work, but Miyamoto Musashi definitely changed my life attitude and outlook.

As for theology, I can't really relate to your disapproval. At worst it's storytelling which is all too frequently misconstrued and taken out of context. 

That's a fault of the people who misrepresent it and who do atrocious and absurd things as a consequence, rather than theology itself being a problem.

People go on about the cost of football matches, or video games, but fireworks must has by far the worst cost to entertainment ratio by a mile.

Why do people bother? If you really want to see some you can probably look at the window and watch someone else’s, or go for a little drive to high ground. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

People go on about the cost of football matches, or video games, but fireworks must has by far the worst cost to entertainment ratio by a mile.

Why do people bother? If you really want to see some you can probably look at the window and watch someone else’s, or go for a little drive to high ground. 

In the smoky, cold light of the morning, I might calm down, but right now I feel like all of my neighbours that have been letting them off for about 3 hours straight should be executed. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

In the smoky, cold light of the morning, I might calm down, but right now I feel like all of my neighbours that have been letting them off for about 3 hours straight should be executed. 

I’m very lucky that my dog really doesn’t give a shit about the noise.

In fact he’s positively nonplussed.

D3-CBAE8-C-9-C95-4013-A137-13-E7-F18-FB6

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

They, and my neighbours, are all words removed. My dog is close to throwing up. 

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’m very lucky that my dog really doesn’t give a shit about the noise.

In fact he’s positively nonplussed.

D3-CBAE8-C-9-C95-4013-A137-13-E7-F18-FB6

We've had several cats over the years, and none of them were ever particularly bothered. In fact one of them actually liked to sit in the window and watch the fireworks. 

18 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

When people speak multiple languages, what language do they dream in?

Generally the dominant language, at least that’s what I’ve been told from multilingual colleagues. It’s a disappointing answer really. 

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

We've had several cats over the years, and none of them were ever particularly bothered. In fact one of them actually liked to sit in the window and watch the fireworks. 

My cats have been fairly relaxed about it all tonight, as long as I’m around they seem to feel safe. Walk off into a different room and they follow me though. They don’t like them, but seem to know there’s no threat. 

Me on the other hand, I wonder why fireworks are still legal in 2020. They scare animals, pollute the environment, they’re dangerous and put even more pressure on A&E departments. And for what? A disappointing squeal, bang and some colours for a few seconds. 

Â