Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

19 hours ago, darrenm said:

If anyone else sees the "2 weeks later" bits on here and read it in the French SpongeBob voice like me

Yes, at least 1 person does :) 

Season 3 Waiting GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Edited by cyrusr
  • Like 1

I think I've Invented some new ways of playing hide and seek, first one if you've got no one to play with just go and look for a good place to hide, when you've found a good place, you will have done both the seeking part, and you will have found where you would have hid if you were playing the game in the traditional way. if your outdoors this would also be a good way to force yourself to explore places you've never been before as you try and find the best hiding place

The other one is easy to explain, 'hide and seek in the mind', this is if you're stuck in a place with no good places to hide or just want to play a game that allows you to sit down, everyone agrees on a destination that they're all familiar with, and then people who are 'hiding' then pick an hiding place in the chosen destination in their minds and the seeker then has to guess where they've chosen to hide, with this one because it's all in the mind, as long as everyone is aware of the destination you can pick any place in the world to play, or even a fictitious place if everyone is well aware of it.

The reason all that came to mind is because I often wonder how I would I feel if i was playing hide and seek with someone and I coudn't find them.

Edited by useless
I don't think I've explained those well, but basically just looking for a place to hide is like a game of hide and seek in of itself, or if you want to play it in the mind you can just think of an hiding place and have others try guess the hiding place.
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Did everyday English people speak using the language that Shakespeare used, or was his language stylized for the stage and written page?

It was stylised. Few people notice that much of Shakespeare's dialogue was essentially poetry - not (normally) rhyming, but written to specific 'rhythms', such as iambic pentameter (five stresses to a line). And he is famously known to have coined hundreds of new words and idioms. So, the basic vocabulary of the man in the street would have been broadly similar to the plays, but less 'rhythmic' and probably less 'flowery'. And I expect there would have been just as many inarticulacies and 'noise words' as there are today - the 'ums and ahs', and the 16th Century versions of 'y'know' and 'innit', etc. 

(Incidentally, some scholars have suggested that Shakespeare himself would probably have spoken with something akin to a Brummie accent). 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m currently reading Ian Mortimer’s “The Time Traveller’s Guide to Elizabethan England” and in the section on language he says that local accents were a lot denser, it would be difficult to hear and fully understand what was said.

As Mike says, it’s stylised. There probably would be someone who’d say “Wherefore art thou Romeo?” but more often than not you’d mostly get someone bellowing “Oiiii - Romeo!!?”.

• Like 1

Going forward a few centuries, if you ever read Wuthering Heights, there’s this character, Joseph. Bloody hell, whenever he turns up it’s a slog to get through his dialogue. 

Short example below -

'Oh! it's Maister Hathecliff's ye're wanting?' cried he, as if making a new discovery. 'Couldn't ye ha' said soa, at onst? un' then, I mud ha' telled ye, baht all this wark, that that's just one ye cannut see—he allas keeps it locked, un' nob'dy iver mells on't but hisseln.'

I’d be curious to know many people outside of deepest, darkest Yorkshire understood that straight away at the time it was published.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

There probably would be someone who’d say “Wherefore art thou Romeo?” 

Which, as I'm sure you know, means "Why are you Romeo?", not "Where..." 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Going forward a few centuries, if you ever read Wuthering Heights, there’s this character, Joseph. Bloody hell, whenever he turns up it’s a slog to get through his dialogue. 

Short example below -

'Oh! it's Maister Hathecliff's ye're wanting?' cried he, as if making a new discovery. 'Couldn't ye ha' said soa, at onst? un' then, I mud ha' telled ye, baht all this wark, that that's just one ye cannut see—he allas keeps it locked, un' nob'dy iver mells on't but hisseln.'

I’d be curious to know many people outside of deepest, darkest Yorkshire understood that straight away at the time it was published.

Local dialects are always an issue in those circumstances - look at the Glaswegian in Irving Welsh's books. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

That’s what everyone in Yorkshire sounded like to me when I first moved up here. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, It's Your Round said:

That’s what everyone in Yorkshire sounded like to me when I first moved up here. 

Yep. The one that really threw me was 'while' meaning 'until'. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Yep. The one that really threw me was 'while' meaning 'until'. 

Same here. Along with such phrases and words as ‘gi’or’ instead of ‘stop it’, ‘ginnel’ instead of ‘alleyway’, ‘sen’ instead of ‘self’ and the complete lack of respect or acknowledgement for the letter ‘H’. 

I’m quite used to it now and I’ve even stopped taking the mickey out of them, mostly. 

1 hour ago, It's Your Round said:

Same here. Along with such phrases and words as ‘gi’or’ instead of ‘stop it’, ‘ginnel’ instead of ‘alleyway’, ‘sen’ instead of ‘self’ and the complete lack of respect or acknowledgement for the letter ‘H’. 

I’m quite used to it now and I’ve even stopped taking the mickey out of them, mostly. 

“gi’or” is presumably from “give over” based on the context you’ve given. 

“ginnel” instead of alleyway...that one isn’t so clear.

11 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

“ginnel” instead of alleyway...that one isn’t so clear.

It's one of concepts that has its own words in every area.

In Liverpool, its a jigger, Which in turn makes a jigger rabbit a cat

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Well, let’s say I know it means that now...

What she's basically saying is: "Why couldn't you have been any other lad, instead of a member of our family's arch enemies?" 

• Thanks 1

Â