Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

What she's basically saying is: "Why couldn't you have been any other lad, instead of a member of our family's arch enemies?" 

Fair enough. I’d assumed all that was covered by the “rose by any other name” stuff.

Looking back, it wasn’t the best Shakespearean line for me to choose when discussing circa Elizabethan era speech patterns.

18 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Local dialects are always an issue in those circumstances - look at the Glaswegian in Irving Welsh's books. 

Pedant alert but his books are set in Edinburgh, I've always thought they had a softer accent than Glasgow but it took me ages to work out 'ken' meant 'know' and I don't think I've ever heard it being said anywhere.

27 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Pedant alert but his books are set in Edinburgh, I've always thought they had a softer accent than Glasgow but it took me ages to work out 'ken' meant 'know' and I don't think I've ever heard it being said anywhere.

Edinburgh is softer than Glaswegian. Glaswegian is almost impenetrable. Ken for know is very common though I'd say

I spend two weeks training staff at a Glasgow taxi company about ten years ago, I just couldn't understand some people and I'm good at understanding strong accents

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Edinburgh is softer than Glaswegian. Glaswegian is almost impenetrable. Ken for know is very common though I'd say

I spend two weeks training staff at a Glasgow taxi company about ten years ago, I just couldn't understand some people and I'm good at understanding strong accents

As half my family are Scottish and I was raised on Oor Wullie and the Broons I've always had a greater understanding of the vocab. 

The Och Kill Dagless Mon joke in Darkplace always gets me 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, theunderstudy said:

As half my family are Scottish and I was raised on Oor Wullie and the Broons I've always had a greater understanding of the vocab. 

The Och Kill Dagless Mon joke in Darkplace always gets me 

Parents are from the north east and we would make pilgrimages back there in the 70s. Oor Wullie used to be in a newspaper up in Newcastle so it was only as an adult I realised it was in a Scotch accent and not Geordie. 

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

Sorry, yeah, Edinburgh. 

As for 'ken'... d'ye ken John Peel? 

19 hours ago, sidcow said:

I was in my 40's before I found out that "round The Wrekin" wasn't an expression everyone in the country uses. 

I was about six weeks younger than I currently am now. It was discussed somewhere on here (can’t remember which thread) and I was similarly surprised. 

6 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Sorry, yeah, Edinburgh. 

As for 'ken'... d'ye ken John Peel? 

Aye, ah ken yon gadgie

I've read most of Welsh's books so the lingo I picked up fairly quickly

3 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

One for those of a certain age. I have just been offered a flu vaccination by my GP surgery. I f I have it will I feel rough after it or not. 

Unpredictable. Last year I had no side effects whatsoever. This year, I felt slightly shit the next day (slight headache, muscle aches). Nothing to write home about, though. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

One for those of a certain age. I have just been offered a flu vaccination by my GP surgery. I f I have it will I feel rough after it or not. 

I've never felt anything after a flu jab. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Can not make up my mind myself, not exactly sure what I am scared about but I am reluctant which is really odd

49 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I had one three years ago, at the same time as my holiday jabs. I had flu-like symptoms that night, shivering and sweating. It was only one night and felt fine the next day. I had one last month though and didn’t feel a thing. I’m assuming the first reaction was down to the holiday vaccines and flu at the same time. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

I had one three years ago, at the same time as my holiday jabs. I had flu-like symptoms that night, shivering and sweating. It was only one night and felt fine the next day. I had one last month though and didn’t feel a thing. I’m assuming the first reaction was down to the holiday vaccines and flu at the same time. 

I was slightly surprised that I didn't get any reaction last year, as I had a pneumonia jab at the same time. 

What are all those fake news stories for and why do they have such similar themes. 

Woman was thrown out of X because of her bikini or top. 

X regret throwing girl out when they see who her father is. 

Man discovers mystery door in house. 

I understand it's just click bait but why the exact same generic stories for years. 

Â