Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

A different but related question I am now wondering is, are West Mids counties some of the more 'forgotten' parts of England? If I think of Essex, Yorkshire, Kent, Surrey, Cornwall etc I get a whole range of mental associations on a wide variety of topics, but what do people who aren't from the Midlands think of when they hear people mention Shropshire or Staffordshire?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

A different but related question I am now wondering is, are West Mids counties some of the more 'forgotten' parts of England? If I think of Essex, Yorkshire, Kent, Surrey, Cornwall etc I get a whole range of mental associations on a wide variety of topics, but what do people who aren't from the Midlands think of when they hear people mention Shropshire or Staffordshire?

I think, being from Shropshire, it used to be that we were all of farming stock, or essentially welsh. After living in Staffordshire for 16 years, a lot of people would struggle to find it (Staffordshire) on a map or believe its where Shakespeare lived. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

"Worchestershire sauce" What's Shropshire done for us lately?

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yeah agree with this. Some will probably think pottery with Staffordshire and, I don’t know, Darwin with Shropshire, I guess. But as seat68 says, farms on the way to Wales is probably the overriding perception.

I quite like the relatively low profile. And the alpacas.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

a lot of people would struggle to find it (Staffordshire) on a map or believe its where Shakespeare lived. 

Is it? I had him down as Warwickshire. 

29d1ad5b-7bab-487e-9831-52dd9bdae8d1.jpg

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Will they ever invent a camera that can film the past, so we can watch it now. There are a lot of periods in history that I can't really picture in mind as I don't really know how things looked back then, so I really hope so. Would be good to go further back and see some of the extinct animals and dinosaurs too.

2 minutes ago, useless said:

Will they ever invent a camera that can film the past, so we can watch it now. There are a lot of periods in history that I can't really picture in mind as I don't really know how things looked back then, so I really hope so. Would be good to go further back and see some of the extinct animals and dinosaurs too.

Is it more a case of getting somewhere faster than the speed of light, and then using a fairly standard camera?

20 hours ago, useless said:

81VUInjC5yL._AC_SY445_.jpg

hth

• Like 2

Â