Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

On 08/10/2020 at 18:35, Mark Albrighton said:

‘tis common knowledge round our way that the Wrekin was formed by a giant being outwitted by a quick thinking cobbler. 

The Wrekin Giant, he scraped his shovel off which created the Ercall too. Which is now reminding me that there used to be an American football team in Telford called the Wrekin Giants, my mates dad used to play for them. He was known as the Wrekin wrecker, notably because he once got his studs caught in a players face guard and dragged him along the pitch. I wonder what happened to that team 🤔

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Crows always seem like they're up to something important and I want to know what it is.

Crows are usually scheming, plotting or planning something. They seem to have long memories and have been known to embark on vengeful hate campaigns against people or animals that have gone after one of their own in the past. I’ve witnessed it when one of my cats caught a young one, they dive bombed him into submission and were waiting for him every time he left the house. 

The collective noun is a murder, not without reason. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

The spiders that crawl into you ears in the night lay eggs.  Most of the time the baby spiders crawl out.  But if the exit is blocked by earphones they try to force them out.  If they cannot they are forced to eat into your brain to survive.  

You are welcome. 

surely its earworms not spiders?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Crows always seem like they're up to something important and I want to know what it is.

Apparently,  if you have some living by your house and you wait till they are there and feed them,  if you do it for ages sometimes they start leaving you presents of things they steal.I saw this on TV,  there was this little kid you had received loads of presents from the crows.  (Buttons,  coins,  lego and the like).  Had them in a big case thing all labeled.

It was well good.

23 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Is it more a case of getting somewhere faster than the speed of light, and then using a fairly standard camera?

Yes. Except that you can't go faster than the speed of light.

If you could transport a genius from history into modern day (whoever, Archimedes, Galileo, Newton...) and bring them up to speed with scientific  development since their time, how would they compare with the brightest minds around today. 

Probably haven’t phrased that brilliantly. But basically would they be “Oh well if you’ve proved X to be that, then obviously Y has to be this....” or would they be more like “Hmmm, don’t know, your guess is as good as mine.”

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

If you could transport a genius from history into modern day (whoever, Archimedes, Galileo, Newton...) and bring them up to speed with scientific  development since their time, how would they compare with the brightest minds around today. 

Probably haven’t phrased that brilliantly. But basically would they be “Oh well if you’ve proved X to be that, then obviously Y has to be this....” or would they be more like “Hmmm, don’t know, your guess is as good as mine.”

The greatest quality of intelligence is the ability to learn and understand, and that is timeless.

The greatest flaw of any intelligent person is to think they are smarter than everyone else.

Not that you asked, but to give my opinion on your curiosity..

If those geniuses made the same concerted effort in approaching their study and work, then they could be as influential today as they were back then.

Genius is genius, regardless of the timestamp.

That's why businesses today practice the teachings found in writings by ancients, like Miyamoto Musashi the samurai, or Sun Tzu the ancient Chinese general.

Â