Adblockers - please click ×
mjmooney

Things you often Wonder

51 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I totally get your point, but the perimeters in music are very narrow.  There is a set number of notes, there are only certain wavelengths of sound we can hear and although we have newer instruments (keytar!) they still have to be set within those perimeters.

Technology however, we are doubling it's memory capabilities and doubling power potential every 5-10 years - we're no where near the pinnacle of it.  Virtual reality for example.  First came about in the 80s, when games were locked onto 500kb disc spaces etc.  In 30-40 years, we're at more than 100x that power, meaning the games are pretty much photo realistic.  

Again, I totally get your point, and until the 60s/70s when computers came in and changed how the Beatles sounded, and definitely how the 80s sounded, we're kinda stuck now, don't you think?  Maybe technology in changing your voice will be the next big game changer, more so than auto tune which has been flavor of the industry over the last 10 years. 

Well there's only 26 letters in the alphabet but hopefully the best stories haven't all been written. 

I think music is capable of exponential development, with sampling and loops and algorithms and more people being exposed to more cultures and people's creativity standing on the shoulders of previous creatives, all that. We've certainly got a lot more we can do with the theremin.

I don't think we're anywhere near stuck. I do think genres come and go, there's a limited amount you can do with a modestly talented boy band.

• Like 1

I 'studied' music at college and I remember pretty early in on the course a lecturer telling us that whenever you're writing a song and you put a combination of chords together, you should remember that it's been done many times before. When you write a melody, remember it's been done many times before. When writing a harmony, remember it's been done many times before. etc. 

It really got my creative juices flowing.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I 'studied' music at college and I remember pretty early in on the course a lecturer telling us that whenever you're writing a song and you put a combination of chords together, you should remember that it's been done many times before. When you write a melody, remember it's been done many times before. When writing a harmony, remember it's been done many times before. etc. 

While some people positively love mad experimental sounds, most of us tend to like music which exhibits some, but not too much, devation from what we're already familiar with. Which means you can use familiar chord sequences and melodies with only very minor changes from previous arrangements, and it'll sound fresh enough to our ears - provided it's a genre that we like. If it isn't, you get the classic older listener's complaint "It all sounds the same". You have to like it enough to appreciate the subtle nuances. 

• Like 1

Whether our ramblings here will be read by future generations, including our families?

Some best hope not :)

47 minutes ago, Xann said:

Whether our ramblings here will be read by future generations, including our families?

Some best hope not :)

On that note, I do often wonder when my second death will be.  By which I mean that moment in the future when someone mentions me for the last time ever.  I find that almost sadder than death itself.

• Like 3

Who thinks that the second someone dies, that their wikipedia page needs updating right at that moment?

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Who thinks that the second someone dies, they need to get over to the villatalk Deadpool thread

;) 

31 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

;) 

He was one of my picks! :D

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

Hold my beer. 
220px-Metal_machine_music.jpg

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Hold my beer. 
220px-Metal_machine_music.jpg

He said 'chords' and 'harmony'. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, BOF said:

On that note, I do often wonder when my second death will be.  By which I mean that moment in the future when someone mentions me for the last time ever.  I find that almost sadder than death itself.

Isn't that your third death?

3 hours ago, WhatAboutTheFinish said:

Isn't that your third death?

Some say third because they think dying and burial are somehow 2 separate deaths, which is of course bollocks. 

Now that the mighty Clive James has gone, who is The Greatest Living Australian? 

35 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Now that the mighty Clive James has gone, who is The Greatest Living Australian? 

In before the Rolf Harris gifs...

Not wondering this often, but am wondering now based on a bit I just saw on CNN, and speaking from a position of embarrassing ignorance of a lot of UK politics:  Do most of you think Jeremy Corbin is an anti-Semite?  Isn’t the Labour Party supposedly the more liberal an tolerant of the major parties?  If so, how does it end up even being in a position where a lot of people believe there is a problem of anti-semitism permeating the leadership?  Are most of the party membership anti-Semitic or tolerant of anti-semitism or is the party and/or its leadership being unfairly portrayed in US and perhaps UK and international media?

I think the problem is that people link hatred of the Israeli state for hatred of the Jewish people. The western powers support Israel and tolerate actions that would be condemned if they were done by a Muslim nation. I don't think Corbyn hates Jewish people as a race. But by criticising the politics of Israel it can be taken in that way. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Kylie obviously

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Brett Holman

Â