Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

3 hours ago, KentVillan said:

In religious belief systems that revolve around the karmic wheel, universal harmony, oneness with nature, etc... when you have a wank over the thought of an old flame, does that send positive karma to the person you're wanking about?

Probably if you are imagining Karma all over her. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Did Alan Shearer get any comeback from his wife after announcing scoring goals was better than sex?

On telly and everything. Millions watching, probably

She might still pee in his coffee every morning?

1 hour ago, Xann said:

Did Alan Shearer get any comeback from his wife after announcing scoring goals was better than sex?

On telly and everything. Millions watching, probably

She might still pee in his coffee every morning?

Sadly this has made me imagine how Alan Shearer has sex.

No foreplay, two minutes of hard missionary and then he does a lap of the bedroom with the classic one arm salute, leaving his wife to finish herself off.

Edited by KentVillan
  • Haha 4

Last night I wondered three things, could something like the The European witch craze of the 14th to 17th centuries happen again, why isn't sledging more popular given how popular snowboarding and skiing are, and in the arts have we already seen the best of everything in terms of paintings, pieces of music, architecture, novels, plays and so on.

1 hour ago, useless said:

Last night I wondered three things, could something like the The European witch craze of the 14th to 17th centuries happen again, why isn't sledging more popular given how popular snowboarding and skiing are, and in the arts have we already seen the best of everything in terms of paintings, pieces of music, architecture, novels, plays and so on.

Yes

You’d have to sledge really fast and loud for a snowboarder to hear it.

No

• Haha 1

Obviously the arts one is down to individual taste, but it's hard to imagine that there will ever be painters as good or renowned and long lasting as Picasso, Da Vinci,  or Michelangelo and so on, playwrites as good as Shakespeare, composers who will have a big of a cultral impact as Bach, Beethoven etc cetera, or a novel to rival any of the obvious classics.

47 minutes ago, useless said:

Obviously the arts one is down to individual taste, but it's hard to imagine that there will ever be painters as good or renowned and long lasting as Picasso, Da Vinci,  or Michelangelo and so on, playwrites as good as Shakespeare, composers who will have a big of a cultral impact as Bach, Beethoven etc cetera, or a novel to rival any of the obvious classics.

I think that would be quite depressing if I thought all the best artists had already been and gone.

But I can see how people kind off presume we’ve already reached a pinnacle. It would be the same as people presuming we had reached some technological peak once we had trains, or cars, or aircraft. It’s difficult to imagine something better and that’s why so few go on to produce something better. But thankfully, those few, do.

• Like 1

Technology is constantly improving in our lifetimes so with that it's easier to imagine that it will keep getting more impressive, whereas artists like Shakespeare, Bach, Da Vinci and so on have been considered the pinnacle of what they do for hundreds of years. Maybe the arts will go through another golden age when it produces works to rival the names mentioned, might coincide with sum future technology that we can't even imagine at the moment.

13 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I think that would be quite depressing if I thought all the best artists had already been and gone.

But I can see how people kind off presume we’ve already reached a pinnacle. It would be the same as people presuming we had reached some technological peak once we had trains, or cars, or aircraft. It’s difficult to imagine something better and that’s why so few go on to produce something better. But thankfully, those few, do.

I totally get your point, but the perimeters in music are very narrow.  There is a set number of notes, there are only certain wavelengths of sound we can hear and although we have newer instruments (keytar!) they still have to be set within those perimeters.

Technology however, we are doubling it's memory capabilities and doubling power potential every 5-10 years - we're no where near the pinnacle of it.  Virtual reality for example.  First came about in the 80s, when games were locked onto 500kb disc spaces etc.  In 30-40 years, we're at more than 100x that power, meaning the games are pretty much photo realistic.  

Again, I totally get your point, and until the 60s/70s when computers came in and changed how the Beatles sounded, and definitely how the 80s sounded, we're kinda stuck now, don't you think?  Maybe technology in changing your voice will be the next big game changer, more so than auto tune which has been flavor of the industry over the last 10 years. 

51 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I totally get your point, but the perimeters in music are very narrow.  There is a set number of notes, there are only certain wavelengths of sound we can hear and although we have newer instruments (keytar!) they still have to be set within those perimeters.

Technology however, we are doubling it's memory capabilities and doubling power potential every 5-10 years - we're no where near the pinnacle of it.  Virtual reality for example.  First came about in the 80s, when games were locked onto 500kb disc spaces etc.  In 30-40 years, we're at more than 100x that power, meaning the games are pretty much photo realistic.  

Again, I totally get your point, and until the 60s/70s when computers came in and changed how the Beatles sounded, and definitely how the 80s sounded, we're kinda stuck now, don't you think?  Maybe technology in changing your voice will be the next big game changer, more so than auto tune which has been flavor of the industry over the last 10 years. 

Well there's only 26 letters in the alphabet but hopefully the best stories haven't all been written. 

I think music is capable of exponential development, with sampling and loops and algorithms and more people being exposed to more cultures and people's creativity standing on the shoulders of previous creatives, all that. We've certainly got a lot more we can do with the theremin.

I don't think we're anywhere near stuck. I do think genres come and go, there's a limited amount you can do with a modestly talented boy band.

• Like 1

I 'studied' music at college and I remember pretty early in on the course a lecturer telling us that whenever you're writing a song and you put a combination of chords together, you should remember that it's been done many times before. When you write a melody, remember it's been done many times before. When writing a harmony, remember it's been done many times before. etc. 

It really got my creative juices flowing.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I 'studied' music at college and I remember pretty early in on the course a lecturer telling us that whenever you're writing a song and you put a combination of chords together, you should remember that it's been done many times before. When you write a melody, remember it's been done many times before. When writing a harmony, remember it's been done many times before. etc. 

It really got my creative juices flowing.

While some people positively love mad experimental sounds, most of us tend to like music which exhibits some, but not too much, devation from what we're already familiar with. Which means you can use familiar chord sequences and melodies with only very minor changes from previous arrangements, and it'll sound fresh enough to our ears - provided it's a genre that we like. If it isn't, you get the classic older listener's complaint "It all sounds the same". You have to like it enough to appreciate the subtle nuances. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Xann said:

Whether our ramblings here will be read by future generations, including our families?

Some best hope not :)

On that note, I do often wonder when my second death will be.  By which I mean that moment in the future when someone mentions me for the last time ever.  I find that almost sadder than death itself.

• Like 3

Â