Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

1 hour ago, TheAuthority said:

The #humblebrag coined by Harris Brittels (writer for Parks & Rec among other things.)

It immediately makes me hate anyone that says it. It is rife in my industry (music - mainly classical.) A conductor dies and they'll be a litany of people posting "I was so humbled to have worked with this great conductor in 1987...." usually alongside a blurry picture of an orchestra which makes it obvious the conductor would have no feckin' idea who that 8th stand of the 2nd violins was.

Trying to get reflected glory and a few likes of the dead is really a fitting analogy of what social media has brought out in humans living in the 1st world.

Isn’t the humblebrag slightly different - a boast dressed up as a sad, self-pitying anecdote - eg how sad your sexual prowess is making you? 👀

This “I’m humbled” thing is just bad English. Somehow it has come to mean “absolutely bursting with self-satisfaction”.

I have however heard it used appropriately a few times recently - people expressing gratitude to strangers who had helped them in the Australian bushfires and some other charity thing I can’t remember. It’s not unheard of.

You can see why narcissists get confused. They think this is just something you say when lots of people are paying attention to you. The underlying concept makes no sense to them, so they can’t distinguish between being humbled by a stranger saving your life and being humbled by winning an Oscar for pretending to be disabled in a film.

• Like 4

Not really a frequent thought, but how come you say "under false pretence"?

noun

1. 1.
    an attempt to make something that is not the case appear true.

If that's the case wouldn't a false pretence be a double negative? 

Yes, I am such a sad individual this is stuff I think about. 
Edited by KenjiOgiwara

20 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Not really a frequent thought, but how come you say "under false pretence"?

noun

1. 1.
    an attempt to make something that is not the case appear true.

If that's the case wouldn't a false pretence be a double negative? 

Yes, I am such a sad individual this is stuff I think about. 

The pretence in false pretenses is a claim, this doesn't have to be a false claim (though very often is), hence false pretenses is a grammaticaly correct legal term

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Can you live a mindful and meaningful life without being serious, or sullen or despondent about the state of the world?

Self assessment being a wonderful thing. I think maybe sometimes I get close.

We’ll all die in the end, you can’t change what’s out of your control so as much as possible be cool with those around you, avoid any pernicious presence and enjoy the ride.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, maqroll said:

Can you live a mindful and meaningful life without being serious, or sullen or despondent about the state of the world?

You can be honest and loving to those you meet, and your family. That is mindfulness in being the best part of yourself as much as you can.

Find as much joy as you can in giving the best of yourself and being kind. That is a meaningful life - you don't have to save the planet from climate catastrophe to have meaning.

• Like 3

do we all see the world in the same colour? i don't mean some with colour blindness but deeper than that. Is someone's green another's yellow for example; one person's red another person's blue. We would never know. The world, literally as we see it, may be unique to us.

36 minutes ago, peterw said:

do we all see the world in the same colour? i don't mean some with colour blindness but deeper than that. Is someone's green another's yellow for example; one person's red another person's blue. We would never know. The world, literally as we see it, may be unique to us.

@limpid with the science, in 3... 2.... 1... 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

You can be honest and loving to those you meet, and your family. That is mindfulness in being the best part of yourself as much as you can.

Find as much joy as you can in giving the best of yourself and being kind. That is a meaningful life - you don't have to save the planet from climate catastrophe to have meaning.

i wrote something similar then got side tracked and realised you'd already written it  ... so

this up here GIF by Chord Overstreet

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Genie said:

Anyone watched the undateables? You see these guys and girls often with learning difficulties and they look so happy. Not a care in the world. Having a lot of awareness is often a  curse isn't it.

Definitely not the case at all, in many instances. 
 A great deal of sadness among the learning disabled community. Many are very aware of their limitations, their need of support and how minimal their options are. There’s a lot of loneliness that comes with it. Daniel off of the undatables isn’t quite the happy go lucky person you see on the tv show. 
I used to look after an autistic lad (he’s now 17) and although he is super intelligent and very high functioning, he has encountered a lot of bullying. He once told me that he wanted to jump off the school roof. He is very aware that he is different to most people and even though I think he has super powers, all he wants to do is be like everyone else.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â