Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

• 2 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Is there any band whose members have been more successful than Talulah Gosh for their non music pursuits. 

Never heard of 'em, had to Mooney. "Talulah" search doesn't predict "Gosh", so I thought they can't be all that famous. Read their Wiki page - surprised to find that they are not a current band, but from the 80s, so I thought I might have heard of them. The article mentions a few recordings, but gives no hint of any "non-music activities". So what were/are they so sucessful at? 

Who goes fishing?

Theres a new fishing tackle shop up the road from me in London and it occurred to me that I know literally nobody who enjoys it as a pastime. There’s hardly a mention of it on VT either so who is asking for the lovely fruit and veg shop to close down in favour of maggots and rods?

38 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

So what were/are they so sucessful at? 

image.jpeg.c06dcda5c9e0c61c28b511c3b4f017a6.jpeg

Elizabeth Price was a co-founder of Talulah Gosh, she won the Turner Prize in 2012

https://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/price-the-woolworths-choir-of-1979-t14214

THE WOOLWORTHS CHOIR OF 1979 2012 is a large-scale digital video projection that combines archive footage, music and text. It has a duration of twenty minutes and exists in an edition of three plus two artist’s proofs. Tate’s copy is number one in the main edition. The artist’s preference is for the work to be shown as an immersive installation, although there is also the possibility for it to be screened just as a video projection if necessary. A related work is Choir (Parts 1 & 2) 2011 (Arts Council Collection, London) which, although it contains elements used within THE WOOLWORTHS CHOIR OF 1979, is considered a completely separate work. Price made the work during an Arts Council England Helen Chadwick Fellowship at the University of Oxford and British School at Rome which she held from 2010–11. The video was shown at Baltic Centre for Contemporary Art, Gateshead in 2012, in a solo presentation at MOTINTERNATIONAL, London the same year and at Tate Britain, in The Turner Prize exhibition, which Price won.

42 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Never heard of 'em, had to Mooney. "Talulah" search doesn't predict "Gosh", so I thought they can't be all that famous. Read their Wiki page - surprised to find that they are not a current band, but from the 80s, so I thought I might have heard of them. The article mentions a few recordings, but gives no hint of any "non-music activities". So what were/are they so sucessful at? 

Amelia Fletcher the singer went on to various indie bands, indie royalty but also picked up an OBE for economics. 

Peter Momtchiloff is senior commissioning editor at Oxford University Press. 

Elizabeth Price won the Turner Prize. 

Eithne Farry was literary editor at Elle. 

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

beaten to it by a better answer

5 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Amelia Fletcher the singer went on to various indie bands, indie royalty but also picked up an OBE for economics. 

Backing vocals for the Weddoes is far more important than any gong :mrgreen:

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Peter Momtchiloff is senior commissioning editor at Oxford University Press. 

Elizabeth Price won the Turner Prize. 

Eithne Farry was literary editor at Elle. 

Gosh. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Â