Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

15 hours ago, peterw said:

do we all see the world in the same colour? i don't mean some with colour blindness but deeper than that. Is someone's green another's yellow for example; one person's red another person's blue. We would never know. The world, literally as we see it, may be unique to us.

We don't see the world in colour at all. Your eyes aren't cameras.

What you "see" is a mental construct made up from all available data sources. A social construct tells you that what I call "green", you call "green". How that is actually imaged in your mental representation isn't as important as the social construct.

1 hour ago, limpid said:

What you "see" is a mental construct made up from all available data sources. A social construct tells you that what I call "green", you call "green". How that is actually imaged in your mental representation isn't as important as the social construct.

PartialVerifiableAfricanparadiseflycatch

• Like 1

8 hours ago, limpid said:

Well that's semantics, its the 'is water wet'? argument

the eye is a receptor and whilst it relies on all available data a deaf person living on their own on a desert island would still have a receptor constructing an image of the world around them. What word they use to describe what they see isn't the point being raised. The eye takes in what we know as yellow and blue particles and it develops from there. The question here is is my red strawberry, what you see as the colour blue, not the semantic construction or the position of ourselves amongst the world we live in.

Techincally speaking wouldn't the thing you see as green (for whatever reason), exactly be the colour it's not? i.e. it reflects green, but is every other wavelength. So a green bush is all the colours you can imagine, except green. 

Long time since I had high school physics, but there's a famous law involved here. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

iI a bush exists, and its green and a chart of shades of green was given to a group of people, if the theory is correct that we see differently, then surely people would select different shades of green on the chart to reflect the bush. Or we all see the same shade of green, on the whole.

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

iI a bush exists, and its green and a chart of shades of green was given to a group of people, if the theory is correct that we see differently, then surely people would select different shades of green on the chart to reflect the bush. Or we all see the same shade of green, on the whole.

Yeah but the shades of green would be different on the chart too.

So if a bush looked pink to me, but I knew that colour as green because that's what it had always been called, then the "green" on the chart would also look pink. So I'd still point to it.

I've asked this exact question in this thread before. It fascinates me. But I accept the answer I was given at the time that it wasn't the case, even though I didn't understand it.

42 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Language affects what you 'see'. Russians 'see' more colours than everyone else, because the language recognises specific colours in a wider range than English, for example.

I believe some languages/cultures don't distinguish between blue and green, but consider them shades of the same colour. And I sometimes wonder why pink has a name, rather than just 'light red'. 

11 hours ago, peterw said:

Well that's semantics, its the 'is water wet'? argument

the eye is a receptor and whilst it relies on all available data a deaf person living on their own on a desert island would still have a receptor constructing an image of the world around them. What word they use to describe what they see isn't the point being raised. The eye takes in what we know as yellow and blue particles and it develops from there. The question here is is my red strawberry, what you see as the colour blue, not the semantic construction or the position of ourselves amongst the world we live in.

It's going to be a tough conversation if you don't understand basics like electromagnetism. I don't see how we could ever get to cognitive models of reality.

• Like 1

We are not all well calibrated scientific instruments describing colour in SI Units. So even if we did all ‘see’ the same thing, we’re crap at explaining and describing it to each other, crap at remembering it and crap at being consistent in understanding the impact of the surroundings.

For me, I’m that guy that remembers what floor I parked the car on by colour. My missus remembers it’s floor 4 in the multi storey, I remember avocado.

We have some trouble in work explaining and describing colour to Clients and explaining to them that the same colour can look different because of the light on it, the sheen of paint, the daylight, the tint of a window.

We have a Client that absolutely insisted we had painted something the wrong colour and absolutely would not accept what they were seeing was the same colour in different locations. We literally had to take a sample from one site, in a car, to put it against the wall in other places.

Fully grown intelligent adult Client was ‘amazed’ when it turned out it really was the same colour, and they used the same eyes on every building. 

13 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Why do Americans use imperial measurements for everything except for guns and bullets?  They always get referred to in millimetres in all the cop shows.

Dirty Harry's gun wasn't metric.

49 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Why do Americans use imperial measurements for everything except for guns and bullets?  They always get referred to in millimetres in all the cop shows.

They still have .357s, .38s, .44s, .45s, .50s, etc. All inches. 

The 7.62 mm 9 mm, etc. calibres tend to be European imports. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Thanks 1

All NATO countries work towards a standard for ammunition. The theory is that NATO ammunition could be used by any NATO member if necessary. This lead to metric use for the most common military rounds.  
Predominantly civilian rounds don’t need that metric labelling.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I wonder how much Villa fans have learnt about basketball coaching from searching for “dean smith”?

It does annoy me when footballers celebrate scoring a goal, having been fed a brilliant pass, without applauding the assist. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

It does annoy me when footballers celebrate scoring a goal, having been fed a brilliant pass, without applauding the assist. 

It is my number one pet hate in football. Defence splitting pass or an unselfish lay off creates an easy goal, and the scorer celebrates as if he’s done it all by himself.

These (American basketball coach) Dean Smith nuggets of wisdom keep popping up whenever I search for our DS, and you realise how much you can learn from other sports. Think basketball and football especially have a lot to teach other.

• Like 1

Â