Nathan Baker

AVFC-Prideofbrum

12 hours ago, DCJonah said:

And so would i if it was for one year and we could get better once promoted. If we fail to go up then we're left trying to fill another hole. 

Yeah we will need two cbs whatever league we are in next year 

• 2 weeks later...

He was not booed till he clattered Grealish.  The booing was muted I thought but “Baker what’s the score” being sang by The Holte was unnecessary at 5-0.  Good servant very brave and likeable lad.

The challenge on Grealish was a strange one.

Not awful, but was clearly a deliberately hard challenge with little intention of getting the ball.

There was no handshake afterwards. Grealish even came over to the ref and complained about the challenge right in front of Baker.

No love lost between those two I'd imagine.

I think it was just a poor tackle, borne of frustration. We'll probably never know whether there's any hard feelings or not, but I doubt that was the cause of the tackle anyway. 

And it doesn't excuse any booing before that. 

7 hours ago, Czechlad said:

It was a poor challenge and Baker knew he was never going to get the ball. Baker could have stopped and let Grealish get the ball, but Baker wanted to hit him. Poor challenge on a former teammate. 

I don't really mind the challenge. It was more notable that there was no apology or handshake or anything between the two. Not even a glance. 
You'd expect former teammates to be a bit more forgiving.

I just thought it was a bit strange.

10 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

No love lost between those two I'd imagine.

No surprise if this is the case. I'd say every club has players who don't get on. Put 30 lads together and there'll always be people who fight/hate each other, etc. There are plenty of cases of team mates who don't like each other Sheringham/Cole, Bowyer/Dyer, Sanchez/Ramsey. It's not surprising that Baker left one on Jack if they didn't see eye to eye as team mates. It's happened before and will happen again.

Personally don't think there was any malice on the tackle by Baker. That's just how he is, he's always flew into tackles. As for not shaking hands, again baker probably didn't think he'd done anything wrong.

As for the crowd, it didn't appear to be full on booing. There were a few the first time he touched the ball after the foul as people wanted a red. Then there was the baker what's the score when we were 5-0 up

18 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Personally don't think there was any malice on the tackle by Baker. That's just how he is, he's always flew into tackles. As for not shaking hands, again baker probably didn't think he'd done anything wrong.

Depends what you mean by malice.

If you mean he didn't want to seriously hurt Jack, then I'd agree. 

If you mean he didn't want to hurt him at all then I disagree.

it was a deliberate, hard challenge designed to take the man and not the ball. It wasn't dangerous, but he was definitely trying to rough Jack up, imo.
I don't have a problem with that, it just surprised me.

• 4 years later...

A shame, one of those defenders who always got blocks in even if it meant a big risk he'd get injured. Think he got concussed once or twice for us.

Good luck to him in whatever he does next as he's had time to plan post retirement at least.

tbh he tried hard for us in a really poor and uninspiring period in our history as a youngster and for that i respect him. He did used to get injured a lot however and I think aged 31 after having a steady and decent career in the championship is something to be proud of. Best of luck to him

• Like 1

Â