wiggyrichard

Who is better?  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Who is better?

• Ronaldo
    • Messi

This poll is closed to new votes

Ronaldo is finished at Man Utd then. 

They'll be better off without him, but I can't see him finding a club that want him at the level that he thinks he should be at. Be interesting to see where he goes.

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

CR7 is an all-time great footballer, but I've never liked him as a person. The way he celebrates tap ins and penalties, the way he looks disgruntled when teammates get on the scoresheet. The preening. The allegations about his off-the-field behaviour.

He's a textbook narcissist, and any stories to the contrary look like expensive PR or clubs protecting him because they need his goals. Not surprised his career is ending like this.

Would take Messi any day - got Argentina as my WC favourites, which would be a fitting end to his career.

Cristiano is a word removed. He got away with it when he was the best player in the world but these days it just doesn't wash. You can't be a squad player and act like you're the boss.

• Like 1

Interesting to see Messi's performances have picked up again this season. 

7 goals and 10 assists in 13 games is pretty good, even if it's the French League.

Averaging 1.4nPxGI per 90 as well which are crazy numbers

19 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

7 goals and 10 assists in 13 games is pretty good, even if it's the French League.

That is fascinating.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Covid took a lot out of him but he recovered fully in the end.

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/05/30/football/lionel-messi-covid-struggles-psg-spt-intl/index.html

In an interview with Argentinian broadcaster TYC Sports on Monday, Messi noted that when he initially became unwell with Covid-19, he experienced the typical symptoms of the virus – sore throat, coughing and fever. However, when the initial effects cleared up, the seven-time Ballon D’Or winner continued to struggle with respiratory issues.

“It left me with after effects. It left me with after effects in my lungs. I came back and it was like a month and a half without even being able to run because my lungs were affected,” Messi said Monday.

The Argentine forward missed three matches after his positive test in January: two in Ligue 1 and one in the French Cup.

Messi went on to say that he pushed himself to return to the pitch too quickly from the complications which worsened their effects.

“I came back before I should have, and it got worse because I went too fast and it ended up setting me back. But I couldn’t take it anymore, I wanted to run, to train – I wanted to get going. And in the end, it got worse,” he said.

On 15/11/2022 at 14:38, Stevo985 said:

He's hitting form at the right time here. 

I've seen it mentioned before that this WC could be the best in terms of actual football played.  As players are at their peak mid-season, rather than exhausted after a long season of playing domestic and European football.

• 2 weeks later...

No idea how reliable The Times are on stuff like this. Been a lot of speculation about it for a while now.

Lionel Messi set to agree deal to join Inter Miami next season

MLS club also eyeing Fàbregas and Suárez to sweeten deal

Inter Miami are close to agreeing a deal with Lionel Messi, with the US club confident that the Argentina superstar will sign after the World Cup here in Qatar.

The Miami franchise, which is co-owned by David Beckham, expect Messi to move from Paris Saint-Germain at the end of the European season, in a deal that will make the 35-year-old the highest-paid player in the history of MLS.

The Times understands that Miami have looked to further strengthen their side by recruiting players who can complement Messi’s skills, with two former Barcelona team-mates — Cesc Fàbregas and Luis Suárez — among those who have been considered. Suárez rejoined Nacional in his native Uruguay in July while Fàbregas is now playing in Italy’s Serie B at

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/lionel-messi-set-to-agree-deal-to-join-inter-miami-next-season-9nmgt3dd7

23 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

Inter Miami should sign both Messi and Ronaldo. If only to have both greats finally play in the same team before their careers are finished.

I think Ronaldo has been a bit too rapey in the past to go to the US.  I read Messi has been learning English for a while which indicates this kind of move has been on the cards. 

5 hours ago, osmark86 said:

Inter Miami should sign both Messi and Ronaldo. If only to have both greats finally play in the same team before their careers are finished.

Ronaldo will never play in US because of the Vegas stories. By the sound of it US lawyers are waiting for him

12 minutes ago, His Name Is Death said:

I would love it if Ronaldo ended up being beaten by Messi in terms of goals scored, just to see if it would actually humble the prick.

No chance it would humble him

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Zatman said:

Ronaldo will never play in US because of the Vegas stories. By the sound of it US lawyers are waiting for him

He didn't go on Madrid or Juve's pre-season tour in the US between 2017-19, it wasn't long after national team tournaments but it does looks like him moving there might not be an option.

Â