wiggyrichard

Who is better?  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Who is better?

• Ronaldo
    • Messi

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, NoelVilla said:

He is diagnosed to be on the autistic spectrum. A move away from Barcelona and the comfort may have been much more difficult than he and his advisors thought it would be. Should have played for cheap in Barcelona. 

Wasn't this was based on Romario's dubious remark and the claims of various autism awareness associations, who (and I can say this as someone with autism myself) will lay claim to absolutely any historical or living celebrity possessing extraordinary gifts? Messi hasn't publicly discussed it himself, or received a formal diagnosis, as far as we know, has he?

11 minutes ago, His Name Is Death said:

Wasn't this was based on Romario's dubious remark and the claims of various autism awareness associations, who (and I can say this as someone with autism myself) will lay claim to absolutely any historical or living celebrity possessing extraordinary gifts? Messi hasn't publicly discussed it himself, or received a formal diagnosis, as far as we know, has he?

You are right. We don't know. It's an uncomfirmed rumour.

It would be amazing if he is. I can't think of many athletes on the spectrum, except for Jessica-Jane Applegate, but it must be incredibly rare in an environment like men's football, which is full of people who seem quick to clock on to those who are 'different' in some way, shape, or form.

I imagine the only way he copes with being surrounded by dickheads is by being a dickhead himself, but at least he's not Ronaldo.

Honestly, Messi is the only player who sets off my 'autism radar' (not as catchy as 'gaydar', I know). I suppose another could be Paul Scholes, but I'm only saying that because his son was diagnosed with autism and because there's a strong genetic basis for the condition.

Mind you, I'm looking on RedCafe and Man Utd fans seem to think he is.

Edited by His Name Is Death
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, His Name Is Death said:

It would be amazing if he is. I can't think of many athletes on the spectrum, except for Jessica-Jane Applegate, but it must be incredibly rare in an environment like men's football, which is full of people who seem quick to clock on to those who are 'different' in some way, shape, or form.

I imagine the only way he copes with being surrounded by dickheads is by being a dickhead himself, but at least he's not Ronaldo.

Well i think the banter/dickhead brigade doesn't go further than English football sponsored by The Sun. 

In other countries football is serious on and off the field and they respect team mates a lot more 

Messi is underperforming his stats so I do think his returns have been slightly unlucky, especially for one of the only footballers in history to regularly OVERPERFORM on his stats.

That being said, i think this season has shown us that both Messi and Ronaldo have finally hit the decline big time

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Messi being autistic is entirely plausible.

A good friend of mines daughter is non verbal but she is a genius of sorts.

Plus common traits, are obsessive interests and repetitive behaviours. I bet you couldn't separate him and the football if you'd bet your life on it as he grew. It was probably a source of comfort.

While having difficulties with communication and social interactions is common, I can tell you from being a professional athlete myself (diagnosed with an acute illness too I might add) that there are a fair few egotistical airhead people among the professional athlete community who struggle with developing rapport and healthy relationships themselves that have avoided diagnosis of a disorder or illness. 

Also, I'm volunteering and have done for years with disabled, homeless and disadvantaged. One of my sessions each week is for those with a disability only, and believe you me, they are a competitive bunch. Even just with themselves. I have one guy with down syndrome who I was teaching some basic basketball and futsal moves and he took to them like a duck to water. Picked the concept up within five or ten minutes and then within the hour was executing them well.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Not the worst thing he's ever done (allegedly) but not a good look.

Mum claims Cristiano Ronaldo 'assaulted' and 'bruised' her son at Everton match

Footage circulating on social media shows Ronaldo appearing to knock an object, suggested to be a mobile phone, out of someone’s hand

Sarah told the ECHO that the phone belonged to her son Jake and Ronaldo "assaulted" him, bruising his hand, by knocking the object to the floor. She said: "At full-time the Man United players started walking off. We were in the Park End so we were right by the tunnel where they came walking past - my son was there videoing them all.

"He filmed all the United players walking through. And then he lowered his phone because Ronaldo had pulled down his sock and his leg was bleeding. He lowered his phone to see what it was - he didn’t even speak.

Sarah Kelly claimed that Cristiano Ronaldo "assaulted" and "bruised" her son
"Ronaldo then just walked past, with a terrible, terrible temper and smashed the phone out of my son’s hand and carried on walking."

Sarah said that the incident left Jake, who is autistic and has dyspraxia, in "complete shock" and it ruined his first match at Goodison, she said: "I was crying, I was shook up, Jacob was in complete shock - he’s autistic and he’s got dyspraxia as well, so he didn’t really digest what was happening until he’s come home now.

"He’s really upset about it and it’s completely put him off going to the game again. This is the first football game he’s been to and this has happened.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/mum-claims-cristiano-ronaldo-assaulted-23648640?_ga=2.250010886.1094972648.1649576630-885524849.1649576630

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Genie said:

I have a feeling in the long run this poor lad won’t be poor for long. It’s a stone wall case of an unprovoked assault on a child.

He can name his price to keep this out of court.

I'm sure he'll be offered a meet and greet for Ronaldo to present him with a brand new iPhone or something equally pathetic

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, og1874 said:

I'm sure he'll be offered a meet and greet for Ronaldo to present him with a brand new iPhone or something equally pathetic

and I expect this lads newly appointed solicitor will laugh his bollocks off.

16 minutes ago, Genie said:

and I expect this lads newly appointed solicitor will laugh his bollocks off.

And after he’s taken his fees the kid probably won’t be left with enough for a new phone 

• Haha 1

He knocked a phone over. Its hardly assault. Headline sounds like Ronaldo threw punches at the kid

Like that time Gareth Barry assaulted a kid but was a stray shot in the warm up 

• Like 1

See it laying on thick this morning. Child left bruised by encounter, he has Autism, cant go back to where it happened because the incident left him traumatized.

Definately going for compo on this one, Ronaldo offered to meet him to say sorry but the mother quoted as "Why would I a blue, go to Old Trafford to meet a Red".

Shes going to court for money

Edited by gordy

13 minutes ago, gordy said:

See it laying on thick this morning. Child left bruised by encounter, he has Autism, cant go back to where it happened because the incident left him traumatized.

Definately going for compo on this one, Ronaldo offered to meet him to say sorry but the mother quoted as "Why would I a blue, go to Old Trafford to meet a Red".

Im sure United and Ronaldo have a better lawyer. They could argue kid was trying to touch the player

Its petty from the mother, a dinner with Ronaldo is a memory the kid will have forever than the out of court settlenent

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gordy said:

Depends on what quote you're looking at here - Ronaldo (on Instagram) apparently put "...I would like to invite this supporter to watch a game at Old Trafford as a sign of fair-play and sportsmanship".  That isn't the same thing as 'offering to meet him' (although tbh, if the kid has autism and has been shaken by that incident I doubt he'd want to then go and meet Ronaldo in any case :D).

It's a bit of "nothing" but a proper dick move from Ronaldo.

18 minutes ago, bobzy said:

It's a bit of "nothing" but a proper dick move from Ronaldo.

all round i would say

I've seen the video but not with sound on, i doubt the fans filming him were asking for an autograph, ronaldo looked frustrated with his knock and the defeat and was out of order, the mom selling her sob story to the papers, who make sure they squeeze "autistic" in to every other sentence and chasing ronaldo through the courts is every bit as big a dick move, her lottery ticket just came in, everton have offered him tickets but he doesnt want to sit anywhere near where the incident happened, must have had shit seats then

• Like 1

Â