wiggyrichard

Who is better?  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Who is better?

• Ronaldo
    • Messi

This poll is closed to new votes

55 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Recency bias as always. In five years people will be arguing if Mbappe or Haaland is the best ever and in 10-15 years some others will be the best ever. The current top player is always the best ever, since no-one really cares about grainy old footage anyway.

Either of those two has got a long way to go to touch Messi. Neither is anywhere near the all round technical player Messi was and is.

Only player up with Messi IMO is Brazilian Ronaldo.

The oft mentioned others played a different sport. Pitches, rules, all different. To be appreciated in their own magnificent way. R9 pretty much bridged the gap of old football to the game we watch now.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Either of those two has got a long way to go to touch Messi. Neither is anywhere near the all round technical player Messi was and is.

Only player up with Messi IMO is Brazilian Ronaldo.

The oft mentioned others played a different sport. Pitches, rules, all different. To be appreciated in their own magnificent way. R9 pretty much bridged the gap of old football to the game we watch now.

Absolutely agree on R9, my favourite player ever.

But I believe players fade from the collective memory as soon as they stop playing. In 10 years there will be new best ones ever, people just want to live in a unique era so the current top names automatically become legends.

• Like 1

I've been a big fan of Ronaldo through the years. The guy has lived and breathed football all his life, being arguably the best in the world. He is now getting slagged because he still wants to play every game and strops if taken off. Give it a break please, the man don't wanna see the end like many in other sports, were people slagging Federer. I mean what do people want him to do, give it up and become a pundit??

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I've been a big fan of Ronaldo through the years. The guy has lived and breathed football all his life, being arguably the best in the world. He is now getting slagged because he still wants to play every game and strops if taken off. Give it a break please, the man don't wanna see the end like many in other sports, were people slagging Federer. I mean what do people want him to do, give it up and become a pundit??

Not be a stroppy, whiny little bitch when getting substituted or doing snide interviews to get his way?

Horrible human being.

• Like 1

Fantastic bit of photoshop there Marca. Anyway, €200m a year to play in Saudi Arabia for 2.5 years. Greed is a strange thing.

Cristiano Ronaldo will play for Al-Nassr from January 1, 2023

The contract that links the Portuguese footballer with the Saudi Arabian team will run for two and a half seasons

The contract, in addition to the hefty signing-on fee (just under 100 million euros) is accompanied by financial incentives via advertising, which will make the Portuguese the highest-paid sportsman in the world. The total worth of CR7's contract with Al-Nassr will be close to 200 million euros per season.

Cristiano Ronaldo will play for Al-Nassr from January 1, 2023

https://www.marca.com/en/world-cup/2022/12/05/638ddff822601dd0348b45a5.html

Age is kinder to him because he isn't relient on pace and power to run games.

Always had a much bigger tool kit than Ronaldo ever had so none of this surprises me.

49 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Federer was playing an individual sport, though, it was all about him by definition.

Ronaldo has never been a team player… he sees his teammates as his assistants in his quest to win trophies, score goals, win Ballons d’Ors etc but it’s been clear for a long time that when the team is doing well and he isn’t getting the credit he feels resentful.

People say it’s just his winning mentality and singular focus on being the best, but lots of other all time greats *weren’t* like that. He’s embarrassing himself a bit.

Still an incredible footballer, though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

I've been a big fan of Ronaldo through the years. The guy has lived and breathed football all his life, being  arguably the second best in the world. He is now getting slagged because he still wants to play every game and strops if taken off. Give it a break please, the man don't wanna see the end like many in other sports, were people slagging Federer. I mean what do people want him to do, give it up and become a pundit??

Fixed for you

I think at this stage it seems the guy is in desperate need of help, problem is he seems to think he is on another level that I think he wouldnt listen to an ex team mate or manager who would tell him to speak to somebody. Ferguson is probably the only person he might listen to

Its like a fading Hollywood sex symbol on the last years of looking youthful but desperately trying to stay in the limelight or fight nature

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think at this stage it seems the guy is in desperate need of help, problem is he seems to think he is on another level that I think he wouldnt listen to an ex team mate or manager who would tell him to speak to somebody. Ferguson is probably the only person he might listen to

Its like a fading Hollywood sex symbol on the last years of looking youthful but desperately trying to stay in the limelight or fight nature

Tbf if he does go to Saudi Arabia it is an admission he is past it at the top level and is just collecting a last paycheck and getting his goal tally up as high as possible which is easier in a poor league.

1 minute ago, messi11 said:

Sad to see Ronaldo on the bench.

Yep .... left back in the dressing room perhaps?  

Spoiler

The oldies are the best ... and that's the joke and not Ronaldo, but he's become one too.

• Like 1

Â