wiggyrichard

Who is better?  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Who is better?

• Ronaldo
    • Messi

This poll is closed to new votes

2 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

Yeah not now, he's 37 in a couple of months. Just talking about general career.

Even so, he's been better than Messi has at PSG. 

He really hasn't been at all.  He's been woeful and a large reason that Man Utd have been as poor as they have been.

17 hours ago, Zatman said:

as for Ronaldo, Juventus are way off the top in Italy and the top scorer is a centre back who has 3 goals mostly penalties

Don't really want to keep banging the same drum - C Ron is obviously a phenomenal goalscorer - but nothing has changed at Juve.  They had similar issues last season with Ronaldo there and finished a long way off top.

18 hours ago, bobzy said:

He's been woeful and a large reason that Man Utd have been as poor as they have been.

10 goals (and 2 assists) in 16 games is woeful. A goal every 120 minutes. 
In the Champions League he has 6 goals in 5 games, a goal every 72 minutes. 
He has 11 goals in 11 games for Portugal in 2021.

Woeful? 

FamousThriftyDevilfish-max-1mb.gif

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

10 goals (and 2 assists) in 16 games is woeful. A goal every 120 minutes. 
In the Champions League he has 6 goals in 5 games, a goal every 72 minutes. 
He has 11 goals in 11 games for Portugal in 2021.

Woeful? 

FamousThriftyDevilfish-max-1mb.gif

I very much enjoy the omittance of his Premier League performances and the inclusion of Portugal when I specifically said about Man Utd.  Top work :D  

10 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I very much enjoy the omittance of his Premier League performances and the inclusion of Portugal when I specifically said about Man Utd.  Top work :D  

I didn’t omit anything, 10 goals and 2 assists in 16 games (a goal every 120 minutes, goal contribution every 102 minutes) is his “woeful” haul for Man United this season. 

Edited by Genie

11 minutes ago, Genie said:

10 goals and 2 assists in 16 games (a goal every 120 minutes, goal contribution every 102 minutes) is his “woeful” haul for Man United this season. 

I didn't say his individual haul had been woeful, I said he, as a player, had been woeful.

He's scored 4 goals in the Premier League - 2 of which were on debut against Newcastle at home.  His dribbling stats are on par with Nemanja Matic.

Edited by bobzy

27 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I didn't say his individual haul had been woeful, I said he, as a player, had been woeful.

He's scored 4 goals in the Premier League - 2 of which were on debut against Newcastle at home.  His dribbling stats are on par with Nemanja Matic.

Someone who’s job it is to score goals, and is scoring goals consistently cannot be woeful. It’s his purpose. If it was easy why isn’t everyone knocking in a goal a game?

What’s the point in a dribbling stat? You may as well  say he hasn’t saved any penalties.

He’s doing his job on a par with the best in the world, and is 10 years older than most of them. 
You can throw plenty of things and Ronaldo, or Man United, but to label him woeful is ridiculous.

Jordan Ayew has no goals in his last 41 appearances. That’s woeful. 

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Genie said:

Someone who’s job it is to score goals, and is scoring goals consistently cannot be woeful. It’s his purpose. If it was easy why isn’t everyone knocking in a goal a game?

What’s the point in a dribbling stat? You may as well  say he hasn’t saved any penalties.

He’s doing his job on a par with the best in the world, and is 10 years older than most of them. 
You can throw plenty of things and Ronaldo, or Man United, but to label him woeful is ridiculous.

Jordan Ayew has no goals in his last 41 appearances. That’s woeful. 

I didn't say it was easy at all.  Ronaldo is an incredible goalscorer - his career record shows this.  The man scores goals.  So if you're using this as his yardstick - his sole purpose is to score goals - then 4 in 10 in the Premier League (with 2 of those coming against the worst side in the league, but hey, someone has to score them) is pretty shit for such an incredible player, no?

The dribbling stat just highlights how he does... well, nothing else (how is saving penalties remotely similar?  He's a **** forward, not a goalkeeper).  He doesn't use the ball or want the ball particularly.  He's also made 0 tackles.  "But that's not his job!" - no, it's not his primary role.  But, again, it highlights how he doesn't contribute to play generally.  He doesn't run with the ball, or track anyone, or pressure the ball or really make any contribution to overall play.  Now that's "fine" - but to have someone in the side who does so little, you'd be wanting him to be absolutely flying with goals because his "job is to score goals".  In Europe, he's done that pretty well.  Man Utd have been largely pants in their games (again, I think a sizeable amount of this is due to Ronaldo) but you can accept largely being pants if part of the reason is then scoring late equalisers and winners.  That's his reason d'etre.

When he's not doing that - which he isn't in the league - what exactly is he doing?  How is he being anything other than woeful?  Even if we want to play the semantics game - which, granted, is great fun - how are you classing this as anywhere "on a par with the best in the World"?  Am I missing something?

You’re absolutely right @bobzy, if you take away all the strikers goals, roughly 1 a game on average he’s been woeful.

If you take away a goalkeepers saves then he’s probably been shit too. 

How many other strikers in the world are averaging a goal every 100 minutes? Not many. 

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, villa4europe said:

To be fair to him he is 36

Not sure what the measuring stick is for him, he's been naturally slowly declining for a while but keeping great stats 

What else were people expecting? And the reason as to why utd bought him? 

Hard to say, who was best 36 year old striker in Premier League history. Probably Teddy Sheringham but the great strikers like Shearer and Rooney didn't play this age. 

Plus Ronaldo has played nearly 20 seasons at the top. How many younger future top players never got that far

• Like 1

Â