Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

If we lose Vlaar/Delph to Spurs or above you just think its part of the game nothing you can do. If we lost them to the likes of West Ham then i'd be furious as i'm sure they would if they lost one of their best to us.

Yes, it would be indicative of our mismanagement at the moment. 

sad to regard Spurs as on another level. I know they are right now, but they shouldn't be. I wouldn't want Delph to go anywhere full stop, but a top 4 team is the only acceptable destination otherwise.

That is definitely not going to happen.

• Like 1

I take it WHU are using the money they are getting for the sale of Upton Park to fund fee's this season transfers £12mil for Valancia and reports of £5mil for Delph.Last I read they were massively in debt...

Wants to sign a new deal.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-fabian-delph-tells-7483537

Fabian Delph tells Villa fans he wants a new contract

Fabian Delph has told Villa fans he is keen to get his claret and blue future resolved by signing a new contract at the club.

Delph is entering the final year of his current deal and the 24-year-old supporters’ player-of-the-season for 2013-14 wants to stay at Villa Park.

Following chairman Randy Lerner’s decision to put Villa up for sale at the end of last season, Delph’s talks were put on hold, along with those of Ron Vlaar and Gabby Agbonlahor, who also have just 12 months left.

Delph was on a panel of players who, along with manager Paul Lambert, spoke to supporters at a meet and greet session ahead of training at FC Dallas’ Toyota Park during the club’s pre-season tour to Texas.

Asked by supporters to clarify his future, Delph told fans that he was ready to extend his stay at the club he joined in August 2009 and was hopeful of signing a new deal.

Antonio Luna is set to leave Villa after Lambert confirmed the Spanish left-back was left out of the U.S. trip because he is on the verge of joining another club, believed to be Hellas Verona of Serie A.

Aleksandar Tonev was also omitted from the travelling squad for the two-match trip to Texas, with Lambert saying the Bulgarian winger is nursing an injury.

I guess it's good news but will Randy offer him (or Vlaar) a new contract that is acceptable to him? or will Randy try to get him to sign a contract for less money?

I hope he stays but I have very little trust in Lerner, another case of watch this space.

Why would he take a paycut

He was player of the season last season and was exceptional for the majority of it

If you did the equivalent in an average job you would feel entitled to a payrise

It's not his fault he was offered ridiculous wages before above what he should have been earning at that stage of his development

If you want to progress you have to keep your best players and Delph is one of the best midfielders we have at the club

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 1

Why would he take a paycut

He was player of the season last season and was exceptional for the majority of it

If you did the equivalent in an average job you would feel entitled to a payrise

It's not his fault he was offered ridiculous wages before above what he should have been earning at that stage of his development

If you want to progress you have to keep your best players and Delph is one of the best midfielders we have at the club

I am not saying he should take a pay cut, I just think that is the wage the wage bill has been going.

If he wants/is on 45k a week, fair enough offer it him again

But he isn't worth anymore than that. 

Doesn't matter how you dress it up, Fabian Delph is only just about at that limit when it comes to what he offers on the pitch

Give him a modest increase in wages. He is one of our most valuable assets right now, it would be idiotic to not extend his contract, for the sake of an extra £5k a week.

• Like 1

It has to be balanced though. You can't just hand out pay rises if they aren't worthy. You may have noticed our wage bill problems in the past ...

Delph was by far our best midfielder, but you have to remember that's not saying a lot. He still offers very little in terms of actual match winning elements (goals and assists) and is basically just doing 'a job'

I love the lad and want him to stay, but not if it means offering him wages he's simply not worth

It has to be balanced though. You can't just hand out pay rises if they aren't worthy. You may have noticed our wage bill problems in the past ...

Delph was by far our best midfielder, but you have to remember that's not saying a lot. He still offers very little in terms of actual match winning elements (goals and assists) and is basically just doing 'a job'

I love the lad and want him to stay, but not if it means offering him wages he's simply not worth

I see where you're coming from and am certainly not against that POV...but another way to look at it would be that in our current predicament, we have to do whatever possible to keep our highest performers. You mentioned Delph isn't always a match winner, but he is undoubtedly an important player for Villa. Say we were to lose him when his contract runs down next year. We would first have the challenge of trying to find a replacement we think might be adequate and then hoping that replacement would perform consistently for us at a high level (which seems to be a constant challenge); the money it would cost us to find such a player could range around at least 5 mill plus.

But say we gave Delph a new contract and put him on terms of +10,000/20,000 week; that is only an additional 520,000-780,000 per year. IMO, that's worth it because it's less than any replacement would cost and we currently know what we have in a player that actually wants to be at the club. Obviously it is all hypothetical and dependent a bit on what he makes now, but from the surface, I think we could justify giving Delph a pay rise. 

Yes, but by offering an acceptable contract to a talented 24 year old ensures he's worth more if / when he's sold. Better than letting him leave at a bargain price.

There are only a few players I'd give a payrise too and Delph is one of them.

His progression has been continued since playing regularly and I would hope the season coming (if it's with a Villa shirt on his back) could be his best yet!

• Like 1

We've been conditioned to a certain way of thinking when it comes to wages, as we've seen player sit on top-half Premier League wages, when they were bottom-half standard.

Delph may not be a top 6 talent yet, but he's definitely good enough for a top-half team. Top-half talent gets paid £40k per week +.

Â