Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

Fabian is one of the few players that we have that can be part of a team that can kick on up the league and actually help us achieve something.  I get the feeling that with better players around him he can achieve much more and could  hold down a place in a top 6 team.  My concern is that with a year to go on his contract that he may get those better players round him at a different club.  For me what happens with Delph and his contract will significantly impact my relationship with the club.  It is one thing to have a player agitate to leave a club is is quite another to squander away your brightest talents by simply allowing his contract to drift away. 

I hope we resign him, and I hope he helps lead us on to greater things.  He is exactly the sort of player that we should make sure understands that the club values and wants to retain.  I'd go so far as making sure he gets a cake AND a handshake for his birthday.

• Like 4

I can't lie, the same thoughts had occurred to me as well. We could struggle to keep both him and Vlaar this summer, unless this contract business is sorted out quickly. I read in the paper that there's no current bidder for the team, so why do we have a ban on contract extensions? 

Seemed to remember HH mentioning that a lot of people would be extremely shocked at the amount of money he is on

Said he was the biggest earner at the club didn't he ?

Something upon those lines, the contract was offered when were pretty flush under Houllier (Bent signing and that)

Isn't Bent on something ridiculous like 75k/week? I'm sure Delph isn't making that much. My recollection is that HH indicated Gabby and Delph were highest earners in the current squad, at around 45k/each.

Read that spurs want him and supposedly in exchange for holtby as well.

Trying to find the original source, I searched google and I just find bogus sites.

Anyway, if it WAS true, would you be okay with this?

Read that spurs want him and supposedly in exchange for holtby as well.

Trying to find the original source, I searched google and I just find bogus sites.

Anyway, if it WAS true, would you be okay with this?

No.

• Like 3

Isn't Bent on something ridiculous like 75k/week? I'm sure Delph isn't making that much. My recollection is that HH indicated Gabby and Delph were highest earners in the current squad, at around 45k/each.

That sounds about right, bearing in mind he cost £6m-£8m and was signed at the height of the O'Neill years.

Not that HH should be considered a credible source for financial figures anyway but I'm pretty sure he said that Delph and Gabby were both on more than £50k/w.

Losing the player of the season will be a new low if it happens.

Actually it wouldn't its happened a few times in recent years, most recently Stewart Downing.

To be fair that wasn't a low, getting £20m for Downing must have been one of the best pieces of business we've ever done.

• Like 1

No point trading someone we need to keep for someone who may or may not work out.

Losing the player of the season will be a new low if it happens.

When your player of the season isn't even that good then yes it shows how shit we are.

• Like 1

Delph is one of our "better" players but he still is no better than average.

I like the player but he goes MIA most games, in fact I sometimes wonder if he is on the pitch.

Like the rest of the squad if he goes who cares?

• Like 1

He was our Player of the Season, and I respect the opinion of all of you. My minority view is that he's not very good, especially going forward.

Still, I'd definitely try to hang onto him. His replacement would likely be worse.

• Like 1

Â