Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

Losing the player of the season will be a new low if it happens.

Actually it wouldn't its happened a few times in recent years, most recently Stewart Downing.

To be fair that wasn't a low, getting £20m for Downing must have been one of the best pieces of business we've ever done.

Nothing in recent years has beaten getting rid of Baros for Carew. Downing was a good player for us and 20mil was a fair price at the time.

Id say we got very good money for Young and Milner too. We just didn't use it very wisely as usual.

As for Delph wouldn't we have to sell him on the cheap this summer to avoid losing him on a free next season?

He has a lot of good attributes, he's very fast on the turn, good close control, quick, makes great driving runs, and gets stuck in. But he's still very far from the complete package, he goes through spells where he doesn't really affect matches positively, he can go quiet, his distribution also very often lets him down. He's no where near at the level of a Milner or Young when we sold them on. 

I do wonder why we have allowed this situation where his contract is up next year, surely we could have sit down with him at the beginning of last season? 

• Like 1

He has a lot of good attributes, he's very fast on the turn, good close control, quick, makes great driving runs, and gets stuck in. But he's still very far from the complete package, he goes through spells where he doesn't really affect matches positively, he can go quiet, his distribution also very often lets him down. He's no where near at the level of a Milner or Young when we sold them on. 

I do wonder why we have allowed this situation where his contract is up next year, surely we could have sit down with him at the beginning of last season? 

His contract should have been sorted out long ago but it is not a surprise that it hasn't given so many things have been messed up by Lambert/ Lerner.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Things are awfully quiet around Delph compared to Vlaar. I know Vlaar is currently doing well in the World Cup, but unless Delph is going to be taking a pay cut I think we could see him heading out of the door pretty soon too. No news at all on him?

Hoping new owners will mean that we can keep players like Delph. Delph is already on a pretty large contract though. If we just offer him the same pay, I expect him to stay. I highly doubt really any teams will offer Delph more that 10k higher than what he is on now.

Hoping new owners will mean that we can keep players like Delph. Delph is already on a pretty large contract though. If we just offer him the same pay, I expect him to stay. I highly doubt really any teams will offer Delph more that 10k higher than what he is on now.

I agree that other teams probably wouldn't offer him much more, just depends on whether or not we can continue paying him what he is on.

We are a joke right now. Gonna be sickening if Vlaar or Delph leave when theyre clearly 2 who would stay if we just sorted a couple of new contracts. We cant even keep hold of our best players when no-one's even bid for them. Either way, with nothing being sorted out, we're effectively putting them in the shop window for other sides with less stature but Premier League wages on the hip. Miserable football summer is just gonna get worse. Merrrr

We are a joke right now. Gonna be sickening if Vlaar or Delph leave when theyre clearly 2 who would stay if we just sorted a couple of new contracts. We cant even keep hold of our best players when no-one's even bid for them. Either way, with nothing being sorted out, we're effectively putting them in the shop window for other sides with less stature but Premier League wages on the hip. Miserable football summer is just gonna get worse. Merrrr

Relax. Both Vlaar and Delph have one year left on their respective deals, any club wanting them will have to pay an astronomical amount as there is no urgency to sell. Unless of course, both men put pressure on the club by submitting transfer requests and/or adopting Robbie Savage like strategies to nefariously force a move away - which does not seem to fit their perceived personalities, thus making it highly unlikely IMO. 

Both players are vital to our future progression. I am sure Lambert, like he did with Benteke last summer, will convince them that their future lies here. I am actually confident that Ron and Fab will sign new deals with us. UTV

Vlaar and Delph will not leave as for most ambitious clubs they are just average players. They only look good due to the total garbage they have to play with. Hardly a Milner or Barry situation. I mean Delph has not got a sniff of even an sub appearance in a England match and we do not have any holding midfielders in the country. 

Edited by The Fun Factory

Vlaar and Delph will not leave as for most ambitious clubs they are just average players. They only look good due to the total garbage they have to play with. Hardly a Milner or Barry situation. I mean Delph has not got a sniff of even an sub appearance in a England match and we do not have any holding midfielders in the country. 

Good, I hope a lot of people outside the club have that perception.

I don't think that is a lot of people's perceptions at least for Delph. Most people have respect for Delph and see him as a good player. I am sure a lot of clubs would be happy to have Delph in the squad even if he is not an out and out starter. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

But it's sadly true , I like Delph always have since he arrived but he's not quite good enough for one of the top Premiership clubs hence why the press talk is from a club who also struggle (West Ham).

I hope we give him a new contract but if this situation continues much longer who could blame him (or Vlaar) for seeing out the season and then getting the big bucks for themselves? This is a situation that could have and should have been avoided but once again the powers that be have let us down.

• Like 1

No chance at £5 million.

We got £12 million for Barry and £18 million for young when they both had 12 months left.

I could see delph leaving but not for that money or to west ham.

We are skint, he isn't an international. 5-7m I think.

Â