Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

Played 6 aside last night, against a team much better than us and much higher in the league than us (although we are bottom, so that's not difficult)

We drew 1-1. I had a stormer including a penalty save in the last minute which would have won the game for them.

Further evidence to my theory that most normal people can't take penalties.

There's a theory that statistically the best thing for a goalie to do is stay still, but if the goalie stays still and the penalty goes to the side, then the goalie gets grief for 'doing nothing', so peer pressure actually forces the goalie to be less effective.

I think I've gone over this before.

But at my level (i.e. sunday league/casual 6 aside leagues... but it was the same when I played for the uni team too) most (and I do mean most. More than 50%) of penalty takers will try and give you "the eyes"

What this normally consists of is staring at one side of the goal when their actual intention is to put it in the opposite side of the goal.

Honestly I'd say easily more than 50% of takers do this.

So all you have to do is dive the opposite way to they way they're looking and you've got a very good chance of saving it.

So in actual fact, instead of giving you "the eyes", what they're actually doing is pretty much telling you which way you should dive.

Obviously in 11 aside it's harder, because they can put it the same way you dive and still score by getting it right in the corner or hitting it high.

But in 5/6 aside, like last night, if a taker steps up and telegraphs his penalty that much, it's almost a guaranteed save.

Edited by Stevo985

But at my level (i.e. sunday league/casual 6 aside leagues... but it was the same when I played for the uni team too) most (and I do mean most. More than 50%) of penalty takers will try and give you "the eyes"

What this normally consists of is staring at one side of the goal when their actual intention is to put it in the opposite side of the goal.

So all you have to do is dive the opposite way to they way they're looking and you've got a very good chance of saving it.

So in actual fact, instead of giving you "the eyes", what they're actually doing is pretty much telling you which way you should dive.

Obviously in 11 aside it's harder, because they can put it the same way you dive and still score by getting it right in the corner or hitting it high.

But in 5/6 aside, like last night, if a taker steps up and telegraphs his penalty that much, it's almost a guaranteed save.

You should try our local Sunday League.  I swear everyone's Matt Le feckin' Tissier or something.  Haven't saved a single penalty I've faced, the bastards find the corner every single time.  The worst one was the lad who Panenka'd his so far into the corner that even at the slower speed I couldn't get there in time.  Later found out the same kid was the captain of Basingstoke Town's reserve side.  Bastards!  :bang:

You should try our local Sunday League.  I swear everyone's Matt Le feckin' Tissier or something.  Haven't saved a single penalty I've faced, the bastards find the corner every single time.  The worst one was the lad who Panenka'd his so far into the corner that even at the slower speed I couldn't get there in time.  Later found out the same kid was the captain of Basingstoke Town's reserve side.  Bastards!  :bang:

Have I told you lately how  I saved a penalty from David Howells :) 

I had a pretty decent record  with penalties  , mind you a lot of the ones I faced weren't particularly well struck tbf and I reckon my mum could have saved a few of them

Totally unrelated but since we're doing "sports stories related to minor celebrities" I once clean bowled the Bishop of Maidstone.

EDIT diocesean inaccuracy

Edited by Eames

Â