Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

I have been cheered up today by negotiations with Audi for my new car going very very well indeed.

So well, in fact, that I can't help but think I'm getting bent over and butt loved by them! But I'll ride the wave while I can!

I bought from Audi about 6 months ago after playing them off against BMW and got a right deal. Couldn't believe how far I got them to move.

That's just it.

My gf bought one from them a year ago and said she couldn't get them to move a penny.

But the guy rang me today and said they had a car on it's way that matched the spec I wanted. Offered me £1800 for my golf as part ex and told me if I added a grand to the deposit then the monthly payments would be £x per month.

I basically told him to **** off. Not so bluntly, obviously, but I made it very clear that the monthly cost was way over my budget and that he was having a laugh with the part ex price (I was expecting £2500)

Rang back within 10 minutes and told me they'd put the part ex price up to £2400, and if I topped the deposit up to 3 grand (which I was always willing to do) then they'd bring the monthly payment down to £100 less (give or take) than he'd originally offered!

I hadn't even planned to do any negotiating by phone.

This is why I can't help but think I'm getting screwed somewhere and can't see it.

Didn't agree to anything over the phone, going to go in and make sure everything is as it seems and the spec is right etc. But sounds promising!

They were very very keen to get my car through before 1st April and conclude everything by 31st March that I think they give me a bit of a sweetener to do so as I recall ... Probably why they are offering you a good deal and not necessarily that you are being raped

I think they gave me an extra £500 on the part ex of my car as the sweetener

If I recall from my dealing with Audi the salesman doesn't give a monkeys about the part ex bit , he just does the sale on the car at the price , the part ex bit is sorta someone else's problem he still sold the car for £30k or whatever ..

If you're buying a car from a salesman, try to wait until the end of the month, or quarter, or financial year. Also,ask to use the loo. If you're lucky you can walk past the sales chart and see which salesman is most likely to cut you a deal.

• Like 1

buying a brand new car ?   what a waste of money get a year old car

Wouldn't cost me much less given the way the finance deals are structured.

And this way I can get the spec I want.

If I could find a year old car that I liked enough I'd get it (that's what I originally started looking for)

As it is I'm happy to buy what I'm buying.

But don't you Loose 3 grand of the resale price the second you drive off the forecourt ? I bought a new car in 2006 its the first and last

If you were buying it outright, then yes (probably more in fact)

But on the PCP deals, the amount you get credit for is dependent on the future value of the car. As a car gets more miles, the future value decreases. Meaning that the savings you make buying a used car in this manner over a new car isn't very much.

At least this is how it was explained to me, maybe I'm being mugged off :D

Put it this way. My brand new A3 is going to cost me significantly less per month with the same deposit than a used A5 at more or less the same On The Road price.

But don't you Loose 3 grand of the resale price the second you drive off the forecourt ? I bought a new car in 2006 its the first and last

If you were buying it outright, then yes (probably more in fact)

But on the PCP deals, the amount you get credit for is dependent on the future value of the car. As a car gets more miles, the future value decreases. Meaning that the savings you make buying a used car in this manner over a new car isn't very much.

At least this is how it was explained to me, maybe I'm being mugged off :D

Put it this way. My brand new A3 is going to cost me significantly less per month with the same deposit than a used A5 at more or less the same On The Road price.

You mean the A3 that Audi are letting you pay them to drive for the next 3 years. They'll then penalise you for any damage or miles above what you have signed up for :D. You're effectively renting one of their cars.

I have never seen the attraction of these kind of 'deals'. I'd much rather buy something outright either for cash or with a loan and know that its mine and I can do what ever I want with it and not accountable to someone else.

Edited by Tamuff_Villa

Pretty much. But I get to drive a nice car for 3 years and use it as part ex on my next car if I want, or I have the option to pay the remainder at the end of the deal if I want to own the car.

For the same monthly cost I'd only be able to afford a car about half the price, if that.

Of course buying outright is better. But I don't have the money to do that with a nice motor.

And being as I'm 28 and this could be the last non-practical car I buy as I'll be in my 30s for the next one and could be married for all I know, I'd like it to be something nice. Yeah I could be sensible and buy a 10 grand Ford Fiesta or second hand something else.

But I don't want to be sensible for once.

Edited by Stevo985

Â