Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

Only working today and then I’m off to Perranporth for four nights on Wednesday. Despite the cack weather, I can’t wait to be by the sea and have a bit of a break from the monotony of Tamworth and surrounding areas 😁

• Like 2

Our trip to Florida end of May was cancelled, we’ve booked 2 nights near Blackpool (to visit relatives) in its place :lol: Almost the same right?

The children have not stayed in a traditional B&B before so they are excited to give it the full 4 in a bed treatment (the TV show you sickos). 

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Genie said:

Our trip to Florida end of May was cancelled, we’ve booked 2 nights near Blackpool (to visit relatives) in its place :lol: Almost the same right?

The children have not stayed in a traditional B&B before so they are excited to give it the full 4 in a bed treatment (the TV show you sickos). 

I’ve sadly never been to either but I hear Blackpool is world renown. Does Florida have any rollercoasters to beat the Pepsi Max? Or golden beaches to rival Pleasure Beach? 👀

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, SuperTed said:

Congrats Mate! Did he come and seek your approval beforehand? 😂

He did, last September, I’m old fashioned like that. 

We were supposed to be in the Dominican Republic now.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Sid4ever said:

Always wondered what happens if the Dad says no? 

10 hours ago, Sid4ever said:

I had to ask both my ex's father and her stepfather. Her real dad was sound about it but her stepdad only sniffly agreed to it - as if it had got eff all to do with him ! Then again, his name is/was Malcolm and he is/was a boring control freak. 

My ex was more worried about what he thought of her than her real dad. One year, she even made me go to a car wash before we went to her stepdad's house on boxing day cos we'd bought the car off him (we didn't need a 2nd car but he wanted some cash and more or less bullied her into buying it). 

He also insisted on taking his new missus and their kid to whatever classic motorbike show was on for every bank holiday where he showed off his royal enfield bike....he also sulked if he didn't win a rosette, the word removed !

Ok....gonna stop there as I'm going way OT !

• Like 1

I always like Dara obrains approach  ( so sorry Irish people, on phone ) he When a bit where if 'any **** asks me permission to marry his daughter, I'm going to set him tasks.'

3 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Always wondered what happens if the Dad says no? 

I presume he doesn't go to the wedding.

Plus with the complete arseholes she dated previously he should have been crawling over broken glass begging me to marry his daughter anyway 😂😂

Edited by sidcow

There's loads of wedding traditions that have sexist roots but we still follow. The white dress, the garter toss, the giving away of the bride etc.

I realised when writing my groom's speech that it's traditionally only the men who speak. I asked Mrs P if she wanted to do one or get one her bridesmaids to, but she said looked at me like I suggested we got married naked.

Luckily , @lapal_fan and @Rob182 were my best men and they are very girly.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Luckily , @lapal_fan and @Rob182 were my best men and they are very girly.

I didnt realise you guys were so close. 

Did @lapal_fan do one of his lengthy surreal meanderings for his speech? Would be immense. 

I don't mind most of the traditions, and yes most are rooted in sexism, but asking permission is just 1 step too far for me. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

I asked my father in law permission. It wasnt something I thought I needed to do, but I did.  As far as my daughter is concerned I am fairly old fashioned and in all honesty I have an expectation that any man in the future will seek my permission. I won’t lose sleep if he doesnt. 

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

There's absolutely no way I'll be asking my girlfriend's father for permission if (when) I ask her to marry me

Yep. I never did. It’s a complete anachronism. Never mind me, I feel it would be an insult to my wife for me to ask for someone else’s permission to marry her. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

There's loads of wedding traditions that have sexist roots but we still follow. The white dress, the garter toss, the giving away of the bride etc., 

That's one thing you don't see any more....the garter hung over the rear view mirror. 

Then again, you also dont see the chocolate brown ford capris that had them...

Edited by mottaloo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

My father in law was about as old fashioned and traditional as its possible to get. No way was I going to ask his permission to marry his daughter.  It's up to her and no one else of she wanted to marry me. 

I find the whole thing really really odd and see no place for it in the modern world.

Yep. I’m not comfortable with him “giving her away” either. But if it’s something she will want to do I’ll go for it. 

But asking permission to propose is something I draw the line at. Especially as her dad is an absolute word removed as well

• Like 2

Â